angle grinder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep... and for the money you really cant beat it!

I think I paid $10?

I bought my first one a couple years back, and its been beat on, dropped, wet, Ive used it with a diamond blade to cut brick, wire wheel for various projects, grinding wheel etc.

I finally bought another one because the switch quit on me. But I still use it... its stuck in the on position so I just plug it in to use it. The new one is going strong.

I have a 4" Makita I bought used, it's decent. Also have a 4 1/2" Ryobi that came with a brass wheel, it was killer for cleaning parts, but I can't find another one! It's a good grinder too, mostly, I use it for cutting tile at work. -Adam

SSG, First thanks for stealing my initials. :lol:
That was the first thing I checked. I lost the on/off switch a few years ago and this time the bearings both front and back were completely destroyed. Thinking the cost to repair everything would be more than buying another. I have had it for 10 years or so so I think I got my moneys worth but just do not have the finances to buy another $100 one.

I have one of the Chicago Electric brand grinders from Harbor Fright that is several years old and work just fine. Unless you are just desperately low on cash I'd avoid their "Drillmaster" brand. But even those will last at least a few months under normal use.
Floyd

I've got one of the harbor freight ones and it works okay but I like my cordless DeWalt better. Check your local pawn shops, they normally have used tools cheap that are really decent. I got my DeWalt grinder for $15 and it was like new with case charger and all.

Hitachi ones are only $20 more than the ChinaFreight cheapies and will last years.. I like it better than my Makita .

I use the Harbor Freight one. Other than brushes I've had no problems. I did used to have one that was even cheaper. A friend got it at a local flea market. I Killed it working on my bobber- no bearings inside, only bushings. So far, though, the Harbor Freight one has held up.

the ten dollar one will work for awhile but i killed three of them real quick one snaped right at head it was awsome as parts from it sprayed all over the garage. i had gotten the warranty so i kept getting new ones. then i got the better one from them it is like 30 and it has lasted since then almost a year. and i beat it pertty good

Ended up buying the HF Chicago 4 1/2" heavy duty grinder. Maroon colored one. Will see how long it lasts. Since it comes with a spare set of bruches I am assuming that will end up a problem.
"On sale" for $19.99

I bought a angle grinder from Harbor Freight and it lasted about a year, died stripping paint on a demo car. I also strongly advise against buying 4" grinding disks from them, I did and had the first one exsplode and bust my knuckle,(yes I was wearing gloves too). Sucked to have a power tool fail when your facing a dead line, derby was two weeks away, so I ran to the pawnshop and got a makita for $15 and still use it today. Still falls back on you get what you pay for.

bigredddaddy said:
I bought a angle grinder from Harbor Freight and it lasted about a year, died stripping paint on a demo car. I also strongly advise against buying 4" grinding disks from them, I did and had the first one exsplode and bust my knuckle,(yes I was wearing gloves too). Sucked to have a power tool fail when your facing a dead line, derby was two weeks away, so I ran to the pawnshop and got a makita for $15 and still use it today. Still falls back on you get what you pay for.

I've found pawn shops normally always have good stuff. I got most of my tools there......Heck most of my stuff comes from there...... My air compressor I got there for $10 and it's been working great. Same for my grinder, most wrenches, sockets, hand tools, DVD's, few of my firearms, both TV's, the home stereo, home theater sound system, the CD player in my truck, my computer, and a few bikes over the years.

But I live in like pawn shop city, we got 5 pawn shops within 5 minutes bike ride of my house.

Ratfink1962 said:
Yep... and for the money you really cant beat it!

I think I paid $10?

I bought my first one a couple years back, and its been beat on, dropped, wet, Ive used it with a diamond blade to cut brick, wire wheel for various projects, grinding wheel etc.

I finally bought another one because the switch quit on me. But I still use it... its stuck in the on position so I just plug it in to use it. The new one is going strong.

Pretty much the same story with mine. I rigged up a toggle switch. I think I paid $15. I've also got a better one though. Keep a cutting wheel on one and flap disc on the other.

my harbor freight one didn't last at all. got a dewalt in a pawn shop years back that i still use. the pawn shop is also where i got my best drill, circular saw and sawzall.

When I worked at a resto shop we had an OLD mikita that finally bit the dust, the boss cheaped out and bought harbor freights for me and the other guy to use, within 2 weeks, 2 of them bit the dust, one had a switch issue and the other basically blew up in my co-workers hand, i was standing across the shop and parts flew to where i was working. I dont trust those stupid things at all, if you need a one time use tool, go for it, but really, if you are doing anything intensive, say using a cutting wheel to cut up old metal trash can... id steer away. personally i have a ryobi that i use for flap wheel stuff and a nice bluegreen mikita that has never let me down.

I bought most of my used tools at Cash Converters back when I lived in Va. Beach. Unfortunately, there isn't one within 125 miles of here. :( Always got the best deals there, even a few bikes. Seems like a lot of typical pawn shops want almost as much as a new tool would cost though! -Adam

Thought I would post an update on the Harbor Freight angle grinder I purchased in Oct. 2010. Just lost the on/off switch. Will not turn off. So 11 months for $20 :|

Latest posts

Back