1965 Continental

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I finally have a coppertone Schwinn, and it's an early 10 speed. Schwinnmesa found it at a dump and sold it to me. If it had the original rims, I would restore it to it's original glory, but I just have the frame, so it will be custom. I have a Sachs 3 speed w coaster brake with 26" rims along with a pair of Kenda flame 2.125 tires. If they are too wide, I'll go with 1.95 or 1.75. Cranks and sprocket are from a 64 Starlet. Handlebars might be from a 3 speed Raleigh. I've got a few choices for a seat, mainly Brooks mattress saddles. I wish I had another leather Brooks.

2i8az5g.jpg

Hey Wildcat, that is awesome. I'll be looking forward to watching your build! It sounds like it'll be a show bike once it's finished. Have fun. :D

Showbike? Maybe not , this came from a dump. I would be afraid to ride a pristine coppertone anyway. I consider myself lucky to have a 65 Continental of any color. I cleaned the frame, used rubbing compound, then waxed it down. It looks better , but won't ever look perfect. The forks needed a brass wire brush to get the rust and corrosion off, they look good too, but not bright chrome. The 63 cranks look like someone heated up the ends to get pedals off. I'm thinking about using a 36 tooth lucky seven? sprocket for low gearing at the beach. If 3rd gear is good for cruising it will be good, but it might be geared too low for the street.
This is an after shot.
9stfma.jpg

On old varsitys I've had, 2.125 tires would work, but not on this bike. It rubbed on the rear. So I'm going with 1.75 tires, the only kind I don't have any of. With 1.75 tires, it won't be a beach bike, so it gets the 46 tooth sprocket. Everything else looks like it will work ok, the shift cable length is the only thing that might not work.
A quick mock up:
9blweh.jpg

I found tires that looked great, but they were 25 bucks apiece at the lbs. This bike will be pretty fast with 46 front, 18 rear with 3 speeds. I noticed this frame wasn't anywhere the weight of a Varsity frame, I thought they were the same thing.

Hey Wildcat. Nice work on the Coppertone. I literally watched two scrapper guys throwing scrap metal out of an old tan chevy pickup at the scrap yard. A 79 Fuji, and your Coppertone were among their load. I personally witnessed your bike plummet to earth with a thud, in a cloud of dust. The Fuji was also rescued, repaired and sold. I think it's awesome what you're doing with old bikes. It also provides a public service to keep the classics out there. ...Best Regard... Blueracer (Al) ... (Schwinnmesa's father)

Thanks.

I found a pair of good tires, 1.95 that should fit from a mango beach cruiser, and I might have it on the road this weekend.

The 1.95 tires are just right. The Sachs 3 speed hooked up easily and I love how it shifts while stopped. I still need to clean up the rear wheel. I stole the bars off my Typhoon and put on a big seat for now, I want to ride tomorrow morning. The heat is still here ,just not like an oven, so I might get 2 hours of riding in.

2zoah3o.jpg

65 Continental Clunker

I decided to make this a bike for the trails. This is as close to a clunker as I'll probably get.

2mr5t0i.jpg

2liyhwz.jpg

I changed it up again, for commuting.
Alloy wheels, coaster brake, larger Snyder sprocket. 1.75 tires. Rear rack.

fbl2qp.jpg

Another change up in the works. I picked up a Japanese city bike with 26" x 1 3/8 wheels that I will cannibalize for the Continental. 27" wheels makes the bike too tall for me and I wanted to try skinny tires. Hand brakes won't reach, but this 5 speed wheel has a band brake.

xlcsgz.jpg

Latest posts

Back