Flying Pigeon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this mens Pigeon at the local junk sellers shop. Everything about it looks just like Raleigh. Its in amazing condition which makes me think its newer but the rear facing dropouts make me think its old. Single speed with hand brakes. Any ideas on how to tell the year? All the decals are fantastic condition. The bell is really cool too. The whole thing spins when you ring it. Best lookin chinese bike I ever seen :D

Bikes4102.jpg

Bikes4103.jpg

Bikes4106.jpg

Bikes4109.jpg

Bikes4108.jpg

Bikes4110.jpg

Bikes4112.jpg

Bikes4114.jpg

Bikes4115.jpg

Bikes4116.jpg

Bikes4117.jpg

Bikes4119.jpg

Bikes4120.jpg

Bikes4118.jpg

Bikes4121.jpg

Bikes4105.jpg

HotRodRob said:
... Everything about it looks just like Raleigh... Best lookin chinese bike I ever seen :D

I will agree with that, dont know how to tell the years on those though. Ive had a couple Raleighs built the exact same (dropouts), both had been rod brake bikes though and I would expect them to be older. Cool find though none the less :)

Gold Street Customs said:
If I remember right ,I think these were made in the seventies, though I can't verify, but a cool Raliegh replica.

From what I understand, they're made today pretty much the same as they were made in the 70s. High quality bikes made in China for the Chinese market.

harquahalas said:
Gold Street Customs said:
If I remember right ,I think these were made in the seventies, though I can't verify, but a cool Raliegh replica.

From what I understand, they're made today pretty much the same as they were made in the 70s. High quality bikes made in China for the Chinese market.

They've been making them exactly the same for 60 years, according to the website. Essentially the same as the Raliegh original. I picked up a pair of these rims on ebay to use on a 28" Motobike frame.-Adam

Now why can't they send bikes our way that look that good? We get the "ride for a season throw it away" crap :(

I have never seen a seat like that on any of the Raleigh Clones...Is that original to the bike ..?
I like it.. :wink:

jaydub said:
I have never seen a seat like that on any of the Raleigh Clones...Is that original to the bike ..?
I like it.. :wink:

I am assuming its original since it looks like nothing has been touched on the bike but I could be wrong.

KansasJack said:
You might have a tough time finding 28" whitewalls for it. Great bike though; a solid classic!

Actually it has 26x1 3/8 tires, BONUS, I just happened to have a pair of whitewalls to fit it :D

thom said:
I'd love to have a flying pigeon.

I guess it would be better than a non flying pigeon....what good would that be, :lol:

actually its not high quality another cheaply made chinese product made with inferior steel
careful of the forks have heard horror stories about them
the only cool ones are the double bars but id still be nervous riding one

This is the first forum I have joined ever and I did so because I just bought a metallic red ladies version of this bike and am keen to find out how 'rare' it is. The guy advertised it as all original and rare 1966-the date on the sturmey-archer hub.

As far as I can tell, he's right. I have not been able to find any pics on-line like it except one on an aussie bike forum (http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 23&t=34118) and the one on http://cherylhan.wordpress.com/category/play/biking/.

I absolutely love the bike regardless of its' rarity and plan to fix it up with some cream tires, new grips and massive detailing/tune-up. By the way-the seat on mine is white vinyl and is as thick with padding and comfortable as a lazy-boy and mint condition too!

I have scoured the net to find info on vintage flying pigeons to no avail...

maybe someone else will stumble upon this post and enlighten us.

All I know is I won't be parking mine for long unattended.

Flying Pigeon is the major bicycle produced in China. Its been in production since the 50's. I want to say 1954. There's a wikipedia article on them. Kind of a Communist staple. You can still buy them for what I'd consider a pretty reasonable amount of money in the states. The main/only? importer is a bike shop in LA of the same name

http://flyingpigeon-la.com/

28" roadster wheels, and rod brakes. Not bad for $200 shipped.

Wes

Nice find, it does look very much like a Raleigh, the fork and the all steel bicycle logo are total copies. I have only seen one other Flying Pigeon bicycle and it had rod brakes. By the time I had enough funds to buy it, it was already gone. You are very fortunate to have found this in such original condition. Enjoy it.

johnp.smith said:
Nice find, it does look very much like a Raleigh, the fork and the all steel bicycle logo are total copies. I have only seen one other Flying Pigeon bicycle and it had rod brakes. By the time I had enough funds to buy it, it was already gone. You are very fortunate to have found this in such original condition. Enjoy it.

I actually just bought that to sell it and it took me a couple months to get exactly what I paid for it. I'll never buy one again. Its no Raleigh, even if it looks like one.

Wow, I thought you really liked it. I find bikes with rod brakes very appealing. Steampunkish if you will, I like to see more mechanical working parts on the outside. I hope to have one some day.

Latest posts

Back