Front Hub Problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a problem with the front hub on my wife's bicycle. Whenever we go out and ride, the axle and bearings gradually become loose. I've had the wheel off, tightened the bearing nuts down, put the wheel back on, and TIGHTENED the axle nuts. It still loosens. It's the weirdest thing and I've never had it happen before. Ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Check the bearing races, you may have a rough spot that is causing it to bind and loosen. Is it making any strange noise? Also back the nuts off and look at the threads on the axle for any wear. I had that same thing happen with a Huffy due to the cheap steel they use for axle material. Hope this helps. If not I got a boatload of front hubs if you need one.

I'll check 'em. If nothing else, I will pull it apart, degrease/clean everything, and put it back together. The axle and bearings are brand new. I originally bought the bike for the wheels. The front axle was completely worn in two so the guy I bought it from gave me a new one still in the plastic.

are the cones new? sounds like its got an appetite for axles. other than that, check what OSC said.
oh yeah, i learned along time ago from working on cars that just cause the parts are new doesnt mean they're any good.

X-RAY said:
are the cones new? sounds like its got an appetite for axles. other than that, check what OSC said.
oh yeah, i learned along time ago from working on cars that just cause the parts are new doesnt mean they're any good.

Amen to that bro. I'm a mechanic and I have seen it all and then some. Had a nice '09 Porsche come into the shop the other day that was in for an oil change and tire replacement that had a coat hanger holding the exhaust back on, three wood screws holding the rear bumper cover on, and red tape over both taillights. You'd think if he could afford an $80,000 car he'd get it fixed the RIGHT way...... :roll:

couple few things to check.
Is the axle length correct? If its too long/short it will pry the forks open/closed. If it's excessive,you'll notice that when ya tighten the axle nut it will want to rotate out of position. If thats the case it will loosen when riding. (presure is on one side of the nut only)

did ya use 2 wrenches to tighten each side of the axle? often bad threads will loosen the inner nut long before the outter nut is tight. even if it moves a little, that gives enough room for the axle to loosen once your on the road.
use 2 wrenches for each side f the axle. one side at a time, one on each side of the forks. when mounted, check theres no side to side wiggle/play.

Lock nuts/washers-did ya use em? are they working?

Make sure the hub don't have a crack around the race area on the outside of the hub. Any cracks could cause the hub to expand when your riding. Thanks!!!

After working on my wheel this evening, it looks like I have about all the issues that you guys have raised! First off, the diameter of the axle nuts that came with my replacement are too wide. They aren't actually tightening down on the bearings at all. So I dug up the original axle, got the bearing nuts off and tried just sitting one on the bearings in the bearing cup. Perfect fit...except that the threads on my new axle are different. Soooo, I got the old axle, which it turns out wasn't broken (the threads were just worn in one spot), and cleaned it up to be reinstalled. One I began messing with the wheel, I noticed that the outside of the bearing race has a crack ALL the way around the hub on the outside. I guess I will begin looking for an old 26x2.125 donor wheel for the front. Ugh.

sking1973 said:
After working on my wheel this evening, it looks like I have about all the issues that you guys have raised! First off, the diameter of the axle nuts that came with my replacement are too wide. They aren't actually tightening down on the bearings at all. So I dug up the original axle, got the bearing nuts off and tried just sitting one on the bearings in the bearing cup. Perfect fit...except that the threads on my new axle are different. Soooo, I got the old axle, which it turns out wasn't broken (the threads were just worn in one spot), and cleaned it up to be reinstalled. One I began messing with the wheel, I noticed that the outside of the bearing race has a crack ALL the way around the hub on the outside. I guess I will begin looking for an old 26x2.125 donor wheel for the front. Ugh.
send a pic of the wheel and I'll see if I got one to match I can give you.

Latest posts

Back