Longtime Lurker, Glad to be here!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Yeah, I've been lurking here for a while have enjoyed checking out all the cool bikes and ideas. I'm from San Diego, originally, now living in Melbourne, Florida. Been into bicycles for the best part of forty years... Yeah, old's cool! (pun intended) I don't know if this is the right area to post a picture, but I've got a hold on a Harley-Davidson frame made by GT, but it's not the one with the tank and such. I think that one's called the Velo Glide? This one's called a "custom sport", or so it says on the chain stays. Does anyone recognize this beast?
Thanks in advance for any help and it's great to be here!

Ron

HarleyBike001.jpg

HarleyBike008.jpg

Are you a homebrewer too? I've been flirting with the idea of using a cup holder on a bike so I can cruise around and drink a homebrew. Nice bikes too.

Thanks all for the great reception. Yeah, I'm a homebrewer, been brewing for abour 16 years. I'm also a BJCP certified beer judge. I don't have a cup holder on any of my bikes, but I brazed tabs on my chopper for a bottle opener!
bikes-1008-1.jpg

Here's one of my pet projects. Try riding this one after a beer or two....
bikes-1005-1.jpg

Does anyone know anything about the Harley-Davidson frame from my first post? I've searched the web and found absolutely nothing. I'm thinking of modifying the chainstays to accept a 26x3 tire, remove most of the cable guides and repaint the thing but don't want to ruin it's value if it happens to be a rare piece.....
Thanks guys, I feel really welcome here...

Peace,
Ron

Your Pet Project is cool.
I have one of those...I think it says "Zig-Zag" on it.

I'll ask around up here in "The Great White North" and see
if any of my Cycling friends know what That "Harley" is.

peace,
Kev.

Welcome Rstrantz!

Nice stable of cool bikes you got there.

You're absolutely correct in regards to finding zero info on your bike. There's nothing but "Velo Glide" stuff.

hdvg.JPG

hdle.JPG

ebay05.jpg

043d_1.JPG

At first, looking at these pics, I figured it was just a "naked" one off job done by a cycle gearhead. However looking closer, the frame of your bike is not even close to the Velo Glide's frame.

The chain/seat stay area baffles me. Looks almost like a rear shock used to occupy that space. Probably not, but it looks that way.

The only thing that gives any kind of hint that your HD-GT even exists is a mention in an article of someone saying that he'd buy the Velo Glide and every other limited edition HD-GT that gets released every year after!

Is the bike in question steel or aluminium? Those are some nice, quality welds on there.

Anyways. That's the best I could do for ya'.
G. :D

Thanks G,
Looks like you found all the same info that I did, the frame is aluminum and I believe that machined piece at the seat stay/seat tube intersection was for a proprietary rack of some sort. The guy I got the bike from picked it up from his GT rep as a frame and H-D crankset. He knows as little as I do.....

Thanks,
Ron

Thanks Kev,
It's truly a mystery machine..... but as far as I know it's an authentic H-D licensed product. The top tube decals are under the clear coat and I would thing that's a lot of trouble to counterfeit...

Peace.
Ron

Thanks Hooch,
Could be a prototype, I've gotten a few Jamis MTB prototypes from the same guy (broken a few too!) He's been known to wheel n' deal with other reps..... I did a bit of research on non H-D GT's but found little. Maybe I'll dig a little deeper tonite.

Good to meet you,
Peace.
Ron

rstrantz said:
Thanks G,
.......The guy I got the bike from picked it up from his GT rep as a frame and H-D crankset. He knows as little as I do.....

Thanks,
Ron
So you got it from him as we see it? He did the build on 'er?

I'm with the boys on this one. It sounds like it could be a one off job. Dealers see, hear and can obtain stuff from manufacturer reps that many of us never will. I'd leave it alone and just enjoy it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe GT was bought out by Schwinn, no?
Perhaps check that out.
G.

I got it from my friend as a frame, crankset and fork. I really wanted the dual crown rock shox for a Bobber style build, but then thought the frame had potential. I would like to releave the chain stays just a bit to allow for tire clearance. A 26x3 won't fit. But, if anyone thinks this thing may have some collector value, maybe I should leave it alone, trade it off, or sell it so I can continue with the Bobber project.... Perhaps I should look for another frame, yet I think the dual crown Rock Shox, with a pair of dust boots added and the lower legs stripped and polished and kenda kraze 26x3 tires front and rear would look pretty cool, kinda 50's motorcycle......

Peace.
Ron

I think you got a collector's item! only 1,000 were built...

http://www.thecabe.com/index.asp?F=bars ... D=Features

[GT plans to build a whole series of Harley bikes, each one with the styling of one of Harley's motorcycles. The first bike was introduced in 1997. GT built only 1,000 Limited Edition Harley bikes before destroying the mold for the unique metal headbadge.]

Latest posts

Back