Whippet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the Fairlady on sunday, studies start again tomorrow...that meant I had two whole days to start building something new! :D I made the sketch for this bike in May, and now seemed a good time to get the build going. It won't be done in a hurry, I'll build it a little at a time when studies allow.

I got this idea that I want to try and make a bike partly from steel tubing and partly from fiberglass.

The first sketch of what the frame will look like.
Skiss1.jpg

Another sketch to give you a better idea what I'll try to make it look like with foam and fiberglass added to the steel frame.
Skiss2.jpg

Because not only the look of the bike, but also part of the strength of the whole construction will come from the foam and fiberglass I decided to use thinner tubing than for a regular frame, to keep weight down.

Here's what I was able to get done yesterday and today.
Skelett1.jpg

I'm sorry that's the only progress photo I've got, I was building at super speed :shock: to get as much of the welding done on the bike as I could.
Yes, it's exactly as weak as it looks!! :lol: A very wobbly heap of tubing! But that's what I expected, and what I hope and think that the fiberglass will remedy.
Those are the wheels I'll be using. Don't they look ratty!!?? :lol: I found them at our cabin and I think they're from one of my brothers old bikes. If they are, that's a two speed kickback hub on the rear wheel. 8) There won't be any rust on them when I'm done with them though...

I'll try to finish welding what's left on the frame next weekend, and also make the stem/handlebars. We'll see what happens. :)

Thanks guys! I hope it'll turn out nice!
I'll see if I someday can come up with a sugarfree alternative for you Gold Street. :lol:

Thanks Nosferatum15115! New to me too, never tried anything like it before. :)

Dr. Tankenstein: Thanks! Yeah, but it wasn't intentional. When I sat down and started drawing the lines of the bike, and later the more detailed sketch, I hadn't set my mind to giving it a race dog resemblance. I had a basic idea that the frame wouldn't have a downtube running from the steerer tube to the bottombracket, and then I just let my eye guide my hand. It wasn't until I had finished the detailed sketch that I saw that what I've drawn was a whippet, and then naming it was easy! :D

I'll try and make the stem and handlebars, and maybe a bracket for the stand, this weekend. I've ordered new cranks and chainring, should be in my mail next week and then I've got what I need to be able to start shaping the foam body of the bike.

I'll keep you updated, even if the progress will be slower on this than the last build. Math studies competes with the bike building for my time at the moment. :)

HEY P.B! good to see that project you were telling me about! it already looks incredible in just raw steel, if I were you, I'd seriously consider stopping there, but I know how you like t work- so I guess plastic fantastic it is! I reckon some smoother curves in the fork would be nice though.. but your aesthetic sense is brilliant. I can't wait to get a welder.
this is a link to the Kiwi builder who made the track bike I just sold. a different kettle of fish to what you're doing, I know, but interesting to see how the aesthetic curves in pure composite plastics can be made structurally functional too.
http://www.pearsonbikes.com/bicycles.php
cheers!
Josca

Thats soooper cool I have always been impressed with your design skills and this one is no exception...

Hej Josca! Are you back home? It was great meeting you! :D I've already checked pearsonbikes out, cool stuff and very inspirational, thanks for the tip! And I've also went to see the Fordonsmuseum, and they sure have expanded their exhibition. That room upstairs was really nice!
Yeah, you saw that the tubes are too thin to hold up by themselves, but as I've been building this frame and seen how it turned out, it's possible that I'll make another one with regular sized tubes and do just like you suggest. :) I think that the curves on the fork will be smoother and more rounded when the fiberglass is applied.
I can't wait for you to get a welder either, cause I'm sure that some really sweet bikes will come out of that!

MonsterMetal: Thanks man, glad to hear it!!

g-ratter: I'll be using polyester resin. Epoxy is a bit beyond my budget now when I'm studying.

Skipton: Thanks! I hope you'll have fun watching this one too! I'm having fun building it! :mrgreen:

Made a little progress this weekend, although my welder is not running smoothly. There's a little weel inside it that feeds the wire all the way to the nozzle, and I think it might be starting to become worn out, because sometimes it just spins without feeding any wire. Oh well, I'll live with the ugly welds for now. I think they're strong enough and they'll also be relieved from some of the shock absorbtion by the fiberglass.

Here are the seatclamp.
Sadelklmma.jpg

A little photo to illustrate of the weight of the frame and fork, balancing it on my indexfinger. :D And yes, that's one dirty baseball cap! :lol:
Lttram.jpg

Used the bolt from another stem and made a new stem myself, because the handlebar will be welded right onto it.
Styrstng.jpg

The finished stem/handlebar.
Styre1.jpg

Here's the bike so far.
Skelett2.jpg

I thought ar first that the wheels were 27", but after comparing measurements with other wheels I found out that they're one of two kinds of 26" wheels. The most common 26" wheels are 559mm, and then there are those that are 584mm. These wheels are of the later kind. Good to know, makes it easier to buy tires that fit! :D

We'll see what I have time to do on it next weekend. :)

If I may be so bold! ... here is a pics of our Whippet/Lurcher..they are the most amazing dogs! ! Ours is a Bedlington x whippet x deerhound Lurcher.
STP80347.jpg

Also, :oops: :oops: Forgot to say, loving the cycle :oops:

Wow... real nice lines on this one man, looks like it'll be one super fast bike... GIVE ME MORE!

P.S Since everybody is posting pics of their dogs can I post one of my cat?... He's really cute he's lying on his back with his paws up in the air and he's playing with a ball of string then theres this one where he's got sunglasses on lol he's such a cool dude and then I have this one where he's up on the counter where he's not supposed to be but i can't get mad at him and then theres this other one where he's....

Thanks guys! :D Yepp, those whippets move with such grace at almost incredible speed. Beautiful dogs! :) And cats are cool! 8)

I've got the cranks I ordered and I've ordered a replacement axle for the bottom bracket that should arrive within a week or so. When I've got that I can check that everything is aligned and running straight, and then start on the foamcore when time allows. :)

Greedy Glutton said:
Wow... real nice lines on this one man, looks like it'll be one super fast bike... GIVE ME MORE!

P.S Since everybody is posting pics of their dogs can I post one of my cat?... He's really cute he's lying on his back with his paws up in the air and he's playing with a ball of string then theres this one where he's got sunglasses on lol he's such a cool dude and then I have this one where he's up on the counter where he's not supposed to be but i can't get mad at him and then theres this other one where he's....
:oops: :oops: :oops: Ok, Ok, I got carried away :D Sorry :oops: :lol:

Latest posts

Back