ANY ARTIST HERE ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HotRodJen said:
vibr8shun said:
...well I used to paint professionally a long long long time ago...then I stopped after getting ripped-off by my management, I just got fed up with the whole art industry and the politics when the price of my paintings went up...so I quit once my contract ran out. This was the last painting I've done back in 2003...I haven't painted since. (24x36 mixed medium on canvas) acrylic and oil :wink:
now that is beautifull i have a weak spot for the old movie sirens

...Thanks Jen, I am also a big fan of old movies myself...Jean Harlow is one of my faves. Oh, by the way I was vote #35 for your "Salt Shaker" build.

TommyTwoTime said:
Love making skulls.

yup, skulls is fun, and yours are awesome! i love that first one you posted above. congrats on making skull-a-day!

below are two of my papier mache skulls at a local Day of the Dead festival. gotta learn how to weld so i can graduate to metal! hmmm... i did do some cast iron last fall...

dod_2009_01s.jpg

TommyTwoTime said:
Ive been a sculptor as long as I can remember. Love making skulls. See my links at the bottom for more.
brain3.jpg
tophatskull3.jpg
Skull2.jpg

SWEET Do you ever sell any of your stuff? That top-hat skull would make a sick shift knob on my rat!

TommyTwoTime said:
Ive been a sculptor as long as I can remember. Love making skulls. See my links at the bottom for more.
brain3.jpg
tophatskull3.jpg
Skull2.jpg

dude i love skulls ! that one on the bottom is sick.

heres one i designed for a tattoo for myself.

tattoodesigne.jpg

and here is that tatt on my arm (bad pic,camera angle is off)

mytattoo011.jpg

I hate the fact that I can not draw...... In my line of work its really hard to convey an idea to a client when you cant put it on paper.... I pretty much have to make it out of metal in order to express the idea... I need to force my self to at least practice sketching things

Great work.... I am envious

The skulls seem to be popular. 8) I do lapidary work (stone carving) and here is a small skull I carved from quartzite. Quartzite is a super hard rock. Around 2" tall. The bunny is carved from Alaskan jade and the oak leaf is made of Kaolin flint from So.Ill. I used my flex shaft Dremel and cheap chicom diamond tips cooled with a stream of water to do the carving. Then they are polished. Gary
IMG_0060.jpg

You guys are making me really mad at myself for not having picked up a pencil or an airbrush in quite a while now. I spent about 15 years making a living as an artist and art director, but the advent of computer graphics kinda killed my carreer. Always too busy to go learn the computer side of it, and then suddenly there were tons of people that could do that stuff and were willing to work for 6 bucks an hour. So I went back to machining.
I need to scan some of my stuff and post it here...and I need to start drawing again. There is a ton of amazing work posted here.

bmxerpete said:
You guys are making me really mad at myself for not having picked up a pencil or an airbrush in quite a while now. I spent about 15 years making a living as an artist and art director, but the advent of computer graphics kinda killed my carreer. Always too busy to go learn the computer side of it, and then suddenly there were tons of people that could do that stuff and were willing to work for 6 bucks an hour. So I went back to machining.
I need to scan some of my stuff and post it here...and I need to start drawing again. There is a ton of amazing work posted here.

yea the digital side of things have made the industry move alot faster.not much in the way of traditional work gets published now a days. dont get me wrong, the modern masters are still doing things the old fashion way but their name sells their work (and the quality of the art itself). i know Joe Jousko still works in traditional methods for all the comic covers he does.

I think you can still work in traditional medium but you have to adapt your method to be faster, and be able to deliver the work digitally if they need it that way. I use photoshop a lot in the sketching process to help speed things up. I also use it to do my underpainting and color/value layout, then I print it on watercolor paper and do the painting in acrylic. It's a fast way to transfer a drawing and doing the initial color digitally really speeds the process up. I have a great respect for people doing good digital work and there really is some amazing stuff out there. I've always liked the outcome of my work better when it's actual paint and have had a hard time finding a way to really finish a piece digitally. Here is sort of an abbreviated version of the digital/traditional method http://markmeyers.blogspot.com/2010/01/process.html . If I had the time I would probably prefer to do the paintings all acrylic on illustration board, but deadlines usually don't allow it.

My website is way over due for an update but you can see more of my work here http://www.markmeyersart.com/

kram said:
I think you can still work in traditional medium but you have to adapt your method to be faster, and be able to deliver the work digitally if they need it that way. I use photoshop a lot in the sketching process to help speed things up. I also use it to do my underpainting and color/value layout, then I print it on watercolor paper and do the painting in acrylic. It's a fast way to transfer a drawing and doing the initial color digitally really speeds the process up. I have a great respect for people doing good digital work and there really is some amazing stuff out there. I've always liked the outcome of my work better when it's actual paint and have had a hard time finding a way to really finish a piece digitally. Here is sort of an abbreviated version of the digital/traditional method http://markmeyers.blogspot.com/2010/01/process.html . If I had the time I would probably prefer to do the paintings all acrylic on illustration board, but deadlines usually don't allow it.

My website is way over due for an update but you can see more of my work here http://www.markmeyersart.com/

photoshop has helped me alot with learning values (still learning). i do most of my paintings in photoshop using values and then go to color.

heres the yoda i did in using values.

evilyodagreysignedda.jpg

the finished version is on the 1st page of this thread

trying to keep my brushes wet until i get jens panel.....
devil bassist isnt mine(looked all over to find whos it was but never found a name to go with it :roll: )
wreckingbarpanel002.jpg

still needs filled,lined,stripes,and lettered

Really cool stuff here all. I think anyone who builds a rat rod bike is an artist period. Some of us also do stuff with pens, brushes, shutters, food. I do some pinstriping, here's a couple pics
Tele1.jpg

PotterChopper2.jpg

I sent this one to a local hobby store in hopes that it either sells or brings in business...
45195_427203809630_65014114630_4741501_1450320_n.jpg

its painted inside out as with most all R/C car bodies

AirBoston said:
I sent this one to a local hobby store in hopes that it either sells or brings in business...
45195_427203809630_65014114630_4741501_1450320_n.jpg

its painted inside out as with most all R/C car bodies

small world. i race/raced rc cars for 15 years now.

During the short time that I have been a member of RRB, I have noticed a lot of people here are working artists. So I did a search and found this dormant thread on the subject.

It was fun looking at all of the work posted here, so I'm hoping this will revive the thread and others will post more!

I myself am primarily a sign writer. I learned the trade in the early 80's before vinyl lettering was around. Everything I do is with a brush and paint, but I have come to depend on the computer for layout & design work. I leave the vinyl signs up to everyone else. Of coarse now digital printing is taking over.

Here's a sign that is brush lettered with enamels and has gold leaf. The background was routed by hand also.
100_1611_zpsd2e68ca1.jpg

I have also done a number of hand carved brick signs over the past decade. I had hoped to be doing more of this, but the bad economy has slowed things down. These projects can be pretty expensive.

Here's an example...
BRICKSIGN_zpsf8e6c0d4.jpg

Latest posts

Back