Valspar Paint

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok they sell this paint at Lowes and it has a pretty good selection of colors. Anyway it will spray in a high humidity situation and not blush (turn milky) . It drys pretty quick too and has a high gloss. So if you have a high humidity day and you want to spray something ,this is your product. :wink:

Ive had mixed results with that Valspar paint. I try and stick to Rustoleum paint. Only problem with that is color choices become very limited. The Valspar doesnt seem to smooth out as well as the Rustoleum. Different climate euals different results though when it comes to rattle cans.

Yes it rattle can paint. It worked good here. I never thought about different elevations making paint act different.

I saw the demonstration too ,and thought the candy and flake colors looked good. I will have to try them also. I'm glad that paint companies are trying to make better paint. We use alot ,and its nice to have lots of choices.

"So if you have a high humidity day and you want to spray something ,this is your product."

That's pretty much every day down here...I'll have to give them a try. Their automotive paints are great, so maybe their spray paints will be good too.

drabe said:
Dupli-Color has a new line of rattle can paints that I have yet to try, but look interesting.
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalspecks.html
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

I saw an article in Hot Rod Deluxe a while back where they painted several steel wheels using mainly Dupli-Color paints and some were pretty impressive looking. They had metalflake, and candy or anodized colors too.
I've used the metalflake and I really like the look. It does clog easily though so have a straight pin or paper clip handy but it does cover well and leaves a great effect. You really can't see the effect here in this pic but the "flake" does sparkle in the sun. :wink:

P8260010.jpg

Ignore the brown seat...still waiting on the $$ to get a nice comfy white one :oops:

one more thing...Pep Boys and AutoZone carry these flakes and candies by Dupli-Color, BUT AutoZone is about half the cost, same paint...found that out after I had painted :x

I've used the metalflake and I really like the look. It does clog easily though so have a straight pin or paper clip handy but it does cover well and leaves a great effect. You really can't see the effect here in this pic but the "flake" does sparkle in the sun. :wink:

P8260010.jpg

Ignore the brown seat...still waiting on the $$ to get a nice comfy white one :oops:

Cool bike and nice color. Thanks for the details!
Did you use the D/C primer also (seems they 'recommend' it)?
Also, did you clearcoat it?
Did you use the same paint on the rims?

Stretch, sorry for highjacking your thread!

I used Duplicolor Metal Specks paint on this tandem and it came out looking great. It chips waaaay too easily though. I don't think I'd use it again for that reason.

1212160735.jpg

1212160733.jpg

drabe said:

Cool bike and nice color. Thanks for the details!
Did you use the D/C primer also (seems they 'recommend' it)?
Also, did you clearcoat it?
Did you use the same paint on the rims?

Stretch, sorry for highjacking your thread!
To be honest I can't remember which primer I used. Either D/C or Rustoleum (I went to go check b/c usually I keep the old cans and write on them which bikes I used them on but apparently I threw those cans away for some reason :? ) I did use Rustoleum Clear Coat ("Crystal Clear") afterwards and I've had no problem with chipping or scrapes, espcially after the paint had a chance to cure for several weeks.
And yes, that is the same paint on the rims as the frame :wink:

bighit! scuff the wheels and use duplicolor self etching primer on them. also there is a clear adhesive agent that is made by bull dog i beleive and you can spray it on any surface and it will make paint stick. i got it at oreillys auto store. i have great luck with duplicolor paints and the self etching primer. you can get the primer half price at wally world verses the auto stores. not such a big fan of rustoleum, seems like it is super sensitive to the humidity here. love duplicolor, it dries fast and has always been durable for me w/the primer! :D this girl was done entirely with duplicolor spray bomb products!!!
100_3726.jpg

Yeah I use the Bulldog metal etching before I prime too. Forgot that part :p

the paint would definately stick better to the aluminum, if it were me i think i would do the primer anyway. think of it this way, your only out another 5bucks or so and a little more time for alot more pice of mind of the paint staying. :wink: oh, i went to lowes tonight a looked at the valspar paint. didn't buy any, but the colors are great! autumn crush is an awesome deep orange, i can definately see that color on a frame in the future! :D the cost is good too, less than 4bucks a can!

Latest posts

Back