Murray Boardtrack

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is going to be sort of an early track racer replica, and will be my rider during the fall season when I am done working for the summer.

The inspiration for the build:

2remmh0.jpg

My frame and wheels (wheels are much newer and are not 28 inch):

o048ev.jpg

21159x5.jpg

1z3s7f4.jpg

Re: Rustbucket Racer

Gonna make a great rider. Love the early frames!

Thanks guys! I just made myself a headset and crankset to fit... it worked out really well... I welded and finish-filed all of the cracks I could find in the frame, and this one should be ready to ride again real soon. I've got my eye on a sweet longspring saddle, and I know what bars I want... The tires seem to air up OK but will be replaced... got myslef a sick 52 tooth rusted out phantom ring... I'll have some pictures up in a flash. :D

Ok, here are some update pictures:

First, original frame damage was repaired. As purchased:

Picture069.jpg

Picture073-1.jpg

Picture074-1.jpg
(Note the split stay joint)

As of noon today, with headset made and fitted:

2gtqj9i.jpg

2qmlu11.jpg

2yl19ux.jpg

egs3l1.jpg

xdcuoy.jpg

5lcigh.jpg

r0pce9.jpg

Here's the "new" 52 tooth chainring to be included:

287800245_tp.jpg

I really, really am getting to like these early diamond frames. The simplicity is very nice. (It is also a nice break to have a light bicycle to ride. :wink:)

I didn't get too much done today, but my chainring arrived and I was able to build the crank up. The front wheel was serviced and replaced. I tore through the rear wheel and removed all of the spokes so I can re-lace it with a New Departure Model D hub. The wheels are actually from the '70's, and the rear wheel had a stuck Shimano coaster brake hub that I just didn't like. I pulled it apart and rust came out in powder :shock: ... I'm guessing water got in somehow. I wouldn't have guessed, but a Shimano "Coaster Brake" hub actually has a hub shell very,very nearly identical in size to a ND model D hub (the difference for each spoke hole was about .5-1mm on center)... so I should be able to use the old spokes (all came loose fine but one) and lace the ND hub right back onto my rear rim. The 52 tooth ring barely clears. :D

2ll1x1k.jpg

14jx0gg.jpg

ohhhh! this is what your building... got it. :lol: thats why your asking for rusty worn out parts. cool!

stretch said:
ohhhh! this is what your building... got it. :lol: thats why your asking for rusty worn out parts. cool!

Yeah! :wink: Shiny new stuff just wouldn't be appropriate. :lol:

so i take it theres no paint involved in this build?

Re: Rustbucket Racer- It rides, Aug 4

Well, built the rear wheel up last night and the bike rides good! Thanks to Jeff, simpleman, for the awesome deal on the ND hub- it's in awesome shape. I like it so much better than the cheap Shimano hub. This bike really rolls along well with that 52 tooth chainring.

Before:

r0bk7l.jpg

After :D:

33djaq0.jpg

The wheel is mostly straight, just a tiny tweak left to fix.

fdsebs.jpg

30db77r.jpg

2569zys.jpg

I've got some rusty double curved bars and aluminum stem lined up, as well as an old seat...

the bike looks awesome! :mrgreen: that lacing pattern is interesting, is that a 2 cross or 1 cross?

Thanks! I don't know what the lacing pattern is, I laced it up to match the front as best I could; I don't know that there is a real pattern there, necessarily :shock: :lol:

Make sure your tetanus shot is up to date before you you that bike! :) I think it will look great when it's finished.

KansasJack said:
Make sure your tetanus shot is up to date before you you that bike! :) I think it will look great when it's finished.

:lol: Being that there are no sharp edges, I should be OK. :wink: Thanks... I'm really digging the way this one rides, it seems to be faster and better geared than any other bike I own.

HOLY COW!! :shock: :shock: .That thing is awesome.Do you know what it is? I want one.

Thanks! :D If what I was told is correct, it's a 1943 Murray.

Latest posts

Back