BUILD OFF 4 DISCUSSION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its all in good fun i know. it seems so far away the deadline but i know it really is right around the corner. i still have a ton of stuff to do with my bike and some things i am not even sure how i will make work yet. but thats the fun of it :D

This has to be one of the most fun things I have ever done. My free time is spent going to junk shops and yard sales to find that perfect part I need. The bike keeps changing, my vision of a complete project is always hazy :? and when I stumble onto that perfect or not so perfect idea that hazy becomes so clear until the next time I recycle my ideas. I love it. I find myself wanting to discover yet another rusty mass produced pile in someones garage and hear those wonderful words "why you want that junk?" I'm not a classic collector type of guy, I couldn't bring myself to rip parts off of cool vintage bikes. Give me some old sears bikes and I'm off. :D

Question: Do I need to use sand paper & spray paint or if I have access to shop equipment ie: sand blaster and paint booth can I use those if I choose?

mark cooper said:
This has to be one of the most fun things I have ever done. My free time is spent going to junk shops and yard sales to find that perfect part I need. The bike keeps changing, my vision of a complete project is always hazy :? and when I stumble onto that perfect or not so perfect idea that hazy becomes so clear until the next time I recycle my ideas. I love it. I find myself wanting to discover yet another rusty mass produced pile in someones garage and hear those wonderful words "why you want that junk?" I'm not a classic collector type of guy, I couldn't bring myself to rip parts off of cool vintage bikes. Give me some old sears bikes and I'm off. :D

Question: Do I need to use sand paper & spray paint or if I have access to shop equipment ie: sand blaster and paint booth can I use those if I choose?

Thank goodness I'm not the only one! I've caught myself eyeing piles of trash everywhere I go, for bikes...

and I don't see a problem with using shop equipment, as long as it's you that's doing the work. That sounds right, Steve?

I hear you. My wife is watching me closely on trash days, and tells me to wait til after midnight to get bikes that are thrown out. Also, if anyone is nearby, she panics and says to keep driving. She doesn't want the neighbors to catch me picking up bikes and parts. I have some fun with it, I'll slow down start to pull over saying "There's a bike!" in the middle of the day when there's a crowd of people around, especially her friends.

oh yea wait till they do that special day in your area when you can put junk out to be picked up. i have found some real treasure like that

Yep...no problem on using good equipment to paint with.

The rule only states that you have to spray it yourself. :wink:

wow it seems like this build off is moving fast. i just realized how little time i have left :shock:

haha, i haven't even started, i may not get this one done. been working at the bike shop toooo much. there is alot of people buying bikes again. oh well, i need the money.lol

Outlaw

Well, last year I didn't even start til some time in July, and I still made the time limit. So... Maybe that's why I'm procrastinating so much on my own build...
:roll:

Well summer is a VERY busy time for me. I don't have the time or the "mind" set to get into a complicated build, but I still like to participate..........I've been reviewing some of the build off bikes. I just gotta tell you guys that I'm absolutely AMAZED at some of the builds going on, the new design on forks, the lowering or extending of the rear dropouts, unique tanks and sooooo many more things!.......To my point........You guys and gals are participating in the WORLD'S BEST BUILD OFF (and the most difficult).....and the bikes "show" it. What some of you people are fabricating, on a STOCK frame, can only be referred to as art........Take a moment, to think about, what you people, and this "SITE" (thanks to Steve) have done for the Bicycle World..............The RIGHT choice was made, to stick to the original format. Go back and look at the bikes from RRBO1 to now, RRBO4. ..The "bar" has been raised from one build off to the next. Imagine what a STOCK frame build will look like by the time RRBO10 arrives (well you really can't do that, cause what you "imagine" today, will be in RRBO5). :lol: ................Okay, I've said enough, I'm done ranting. :roll: ...............LET'S GET BACK TO TRASH TALKIN

i agree every year the bar gets raised a little higher. as a builder i find it harder and harder each year to come up with something fresh that i have not seen done before, or something that i think might stand out. the bikes being done this year are amazing not just in style but quality of the build. as for trash talking i am not real big on it but i gotta say the girl's bikes are going DOWN :mrgreen:

karfer67 said:
as for trash talking i am not real big on it but i gotta say the girl's bikes are going DOWN :mrgreen:

Ya did "good" ........ for not being real big on it. :lol:

haha, ya have to admit, this years Lady's bike have gotten better. not that last years wasn't cause two of em are still my fav. you all know em. we just have taken em to a different level this year. i still want all the glory.lol. owwww my mood swings are getting worst. better watch out boys.lol

Outlaw

Latest posts

Back