Mustang

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oooooh this will be fun! :D
I got this bike from my brother a couple of weeks ago. I really like the lugged frame and I feeel it'll be a perfect bike for me to use in the build off! I've already got most of what I'll do to it worked out in my head.
Here's what I'm starting with:
mustang1.jpg

What I plan on doing is:
¤ new lights
¤ new chainguard
¤ change the bars
¤ new seat
¤ cut the fenders or make new ones
¤ paint it black/red/gold
¤ put on cream coloured tires

I might come up with more/other ideas along the way, who knows, but that's what I have in mind for it for the moment. :D

Yepp, that's what you're seing. :) It's pretty old and worn down though. Don't know how difficult they are to come by. Yes, on another bike the cjainguard might look right, but not for what I have in mind for this one!
Thank you, and good luck with your build too! :D

Time to start building! :D

Parts I won't be using:
borttaget.jpg

That seat will go on my Galtbacken 18 build...

What I will be using:
delarna.jpg

I'll also make some parts for it. Not very many though as I want to try and keep this build clean and simple. :)

Last night I made the template for the chainguard. There really wasn't anything wrong with the original one, but I wanted to add an element of or something to lead the thoughts to a wild mustang, so I came up with this:
kedjeskydd1.jpg

I've also made some templates for the frontlight, so now I just have to start fabricating!! :D

I hope this will be a quick build as I'll try to build the other bike at the same time...

Weeeeell I admit it, I like the look of trussrods on a fork! :D That means this bikes getting them as well!

The parts for them.
gaffel1.jpg

I've done some welding on them too, but forgot to take a photo of it. I'll try to remember next time I work on them.

Today when the weather isn't the best, to express myself mildly, I've stayed indoor and made the seatcover. Tried to give it a bit of a sporty look.

Here's the seat I'll be using. It's a seat from the 80's, and like I've done before I removed the old cover. The cover and padding was made as one piece on this seat so I put on some new foam. That foam is the kind you use to reduce noice in cars! I guess I've found a new use for it!:D
sadel1.jpg

All the parts for the cover.
sadelverdrag1.jpg

Stitched the side parts together first...
sadelverdrag2.jpg

sadelverdrag3.jpg

...and then the top and the white trim. :)
sadelverdrag4.jpg

Now I'll go home and try to stretch that cover over the seat and finish it. Wonder if I've got any rivets when I come to think of it...hm, well if I don't I'll have to get rivets tomorrow.

I'll be back with more pics soon I hope! :)

Dear galtbacken, what is your job, you are always doing things on your bikes and work incridebely fast! I want to work like you do ! :shock:
By the way nice builds, may be will you come to the choppernation this summer? It is really a great event for bike builders and lovers.

Cheers from france. Like what you do!

Re-upholstery: awesome! That is a pretty inspiring piece of work on that seat of yours. I've planned to leave mine raw steel but would love to see it covered. You have certainly done well by yours!

mudagoye said:
Dear galtbacken, what is your job, you are always doing things on your bikes and work incridebely fast! I want to work like you do ! :shock:

I work at a sheltered housing for people with different kinds of mental disabilities, but next spring I'll hopefully start to study at the university. Right now I have my summer holiday! :D Yeah I do alot of things on my bikes, but it's not that I'm fast (although I'm getting a little faster for every new thing I learn to do better) it's because I'm spending a lot of time on the builds. It's become my new creative outlet and it's what I think is the most fun to do at the moment, so I spend most of my spare time on it. :)

mudagoye said:
By the way nice builds, may be will you come to the choppernation this summer? It is really a great event for bike builders and lovers.

Cheers from france. Like what you do!

Thanks! :D It's funny, I was thinking earlier today that I would be fun to go to an event like that! I'm not sure if I'll be able to go this year, but I really do want to go sometime, maybe next year! :)

Thanks quicksilver! :D This vinyl is really easy to work with even if you're not used to working with fabric. It stretches well (better in one direction than the other) and if you don't have a sewing machine or don't want to stitch the cover, then just cut a piece and stretch it over the seat! :)

Here's how the seat turned out:
sadel4.jpg

sadel2.jpg

sadel3.jpg

sadel5.jpg

There are a few crooked seams, but not so bad that they ruin everything...and it's missing two rivets (regular jeans rivets)at the back. I bent two of them when I was pressing them on and I had no more at home. I'll buy new ones next week. :)

Awesome! is that an ordinary sewing machine or one of those heavy duty ones that can sew leather. I have my mothers old machine that hasn't ben used in 50 years! I may try that.

Thanks everyone! :D

ej599: That's a heavy duty leathersewing monstermachine! :D My mom's a crafts teacher and she works a lot with leather, and it's her machine. But I use vinyl for my seats, and for that a regular sewing machine should work too! And if your mother's machine is 50 years old I bet it's of good quality! Give it a go, it's fun!! :D

Here's the original cover/padding that was on the seat I re-upholstered. I think I forgot to show you what the seat looked like before I changed it.
originalverdrag.jpg

I've been working some more on the trusses today! The reason that I didn't want to cut this bike up was because of the lugged frame. Very nice frame! So I thought that I'd try to make the trusses look like they belonged to the bike originally by making some fake lugs.
Here's a little piece that I cut from sheet metal and filed into shape. By the way my dremel broke the other day. :x Thought they'd be of better quality... Anyway, here's the piece:
gaffel2.jpg

And here it is wrapped around and welded to the top of the trusses, then grinded and filed smooth. I think it came out good...so now I guess I'll have to do that for every weld on this bike...hmm, I'm good at giving myself extra work! :lol:
gaffel3.jpg

More pics tomorrow! :D

Latest posts

Back