The Lightning Flyer 12/11

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally have the time and motivation to finish this old boardtracker project, here's the old build thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6081
I want to make it look like a barn find, rims will stay as is, try to match those colors on the frame, fork, and tanks. Still need to get the tanks tig welded, and make some truss rods for the fork. Other than that just find a long spring saddle, bars, tires, and maybe do 3 piece cranks again.

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2300.jpg

Re: The Flying Pig

The pink paint is finally gone :D Put down a layer of etching primer and a few layers of maroon. Next I'll mask off what stays maroon, then spray the creme. After all my work is done I'll "weather" everything to look old, should end up looking like the above pic of the rim.
IMG_2301.jpg

Yeah, I guess the name came at a bad time, but it's to honor Cincinnati history. Started painting the creme and distressing the paint, I want it to look like it's been sun baked and peeling for 80 years. Got the hubs done and started building the wheels. Might go with brown felt quick bricks for tires.

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Did you use a hammered paint or was that just a reaction to the paints not being of a same brand, that made the cracking?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
Did you use a hammered paint or was that just a reaction to the paints not being of a same brand, that made the cracking?

Or is it Crackling Glaze?

FOUND OBJECTS said:
I just sprayed everything in enamels, then lightly dust on some lacquer clear. The lacquer eats up the paint and causes what you see on the hubs.
As far as the frame, it's not a twin flex. It's just an old girl's frame that went through a gender reassignment :wink:

Got the frame all done last night. Now to just get the tanks finished up so I can paint and letter them.

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

A quick mock up of what I have done. Might try to make some truss rods from conduit or something. Not sure about tires, either brown quick bricks or creme fat franks.
IMG_2326.jpg

Its looking good! Nice color scheme, and I like the way you've painted it with that cracked look. I'm not sure of the correct term for that way of painting.

Well, I got tired of looking at this thing sitting in the garage so I decided to do some mock-ups. Should I :

A. Keep it a board track theme with the tanks
IMG_2448.jpg

B. Do it antique motorcycle style with tanks, stainless fenders, crossbrace handlebars
IMG_2452.jpg

C. Ditch the tanks and make it look somewhat like a 30's original
IMG_2453.jpg

D. Sell the darn thing as-is, did I mention I'm tired of looking at it?

??????

I really like this one. Good job. Looking forward to see what direction you go with it.

How's this?
IMG_2455.jpg

This seat's clamp matches up perfect to the frame's seat tabs so that saves me from finding an old long spring saddle. Get the tanks tig welded up, maybe weld in a bung and filler neck, maybe slap a chinese motor on it????? Who know's. :D

Latest posts

Back