La Bruja Roja - 40's Higgins Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I finally got time to tear into the Higgins I bought during the Superbowl.

I decided to call it La Bruja Roja or The Red Witch. Why? Cuz it needed a name and that is all I could think of. :oops:

This will probably be more of a resto-rod than a build, but the pics had to go somewhere.

Here we are on Superbowl Sunday. You can't really tell at this angle, but the fork is bent. All the chrome is painted silver. The wheels are much worse off than they look. Pretty heavily rusted. The seat is pretty much gone. The fenders are remarkably straight, and not too much bird poop! It is barely a rider, but it sure is pretty.

332lzlz.jpg

We'll just pop off that bent fork. Time to work my magic! Luckily we have a old drain pipe in the basement floor that is the perfect size for straightening forks. I've done about 10 that way. I'm sure it isn't the recommended method, but it works. Strange, but the bird poop seems to be even worse.

ibvq4n.jpg

Here we have the frame and straightened fork. I still want to do something to bring back the paint. Possibly a light rub and wax? I'll be very careful over the red/white areas. Now to think about components. Bring back the fenders? Ditch the rack? I have a peaked chrome rear fender that might work! So many decisions.

9hicdc.jpg

All of the chrome parts after a good cleaning. The chrome came back pretty good. Much better looking than the awful silver brushed on paint! On the bright side, the silver paint saved the chrome. Thanks? :lol: I may run those drag bars or the original Torrintons, dunno.

2mea004.jpg

Here we have the Dead Raccoon Wheel Set. There was a dead raccoon on them when I picked them up. Aside from that, they are in amazing shape. I plan on cleaning the hubs, but leaving the rims as they are. Too shiny would look odd. Especially after the rest of the chrome takes on a bit more patina, as I am sure it will.

The Goodyear All Weather tires are in great shape, but I might go with a set of red tires. I think it would really set off the red in the frame. I am also considering red pedal blocks, for exactly the same reason.

23r7d5i.jpg

That's all for now. Off to Ann Arbor for parts and inspiration. :mrgreen:

that a great bike i love if i were you i would not lose the rack and i would keep the fenders on it just clean it up and ride it.its the bomb :D

bikebuilder said:
...I would agree with ........

Sorry, but that just made beer fly out my nose. I don't often see those words in print on a forum.

I am not so crazy about the rack. It kinda lends a "granny" feel to the bike. I may put the fenders back on. Not sure. The peaked Chrome fenders I have are pretty cool. I did a couple of quick mock-ups with both the Torrington and drag bars. Didn't have time to take any pics.

One thing for sure, I am getting a Brooks B-73 for it. If I don't loose all of my cash in Ann Arbor. :roll:

So I got some red tires at the Saline show. Time to throw a few parts on the Higgins!

The tires aren't as perfect match, but not too shabby. The girlfriend agrees, and she went to art school! I think I may keep these bars. I like! The grips clash bad, however.
2sbwsi1.jpg

Added the chain guard. Yuppers. This is also a keeper. I'd kinda like to find a decal. Not even sure what I am looking for.
30swmlk.jpg

I am still not crazy about these fenders. I think I may leave them off for that light and airy summer look. I still haven't thrown the rack on. I might not.
347bkle.jpg

Here we have the Torrington bars. Meh. I still haven't found an angle I like.
29le4jr.jpg

I threw a seat on just for kicks. Not bad, but I have my eye on a Brooks B-73. I just have to sell a few parts to make it work.
2rzqqvc.jpg

Very nice bike! I really like that frame. I didn't know that color scheme came on old bikes. I was mistaken that someone recently came up with a color scheme like that. I also think the red tires look good on it. Keep it up!

Simplicity Nut said:
I didn't know that color scheme came on old bikes. I was mistaken that someone recently came up with a color scheme like that.

I am amazed at some of the older paint schemes. Even in the 20's there were some crazy color combinations. Funny, but you never think of 20's-30's bikes as being so vibrant. Some are verging on garish. Unforunately a lot of old bike pictures I have seen are black and white. :roll:

Man im not understanding what your talking about ,your original seat looked brand new!Still had the packing string on it.haha.Your bike is comming along pretty nice.Im thinkin some old bars with the cross bar.I like the red tires by themselves but I still havent put them on one of my bikes,because the red is a off red thats hard to match.maybe some black quickbricks would work on it.No I just looked again,I think its the grips are too dark for the OG red,black bottle grips.

So, I was going to give up and buy a newer seat when I stumbled upon a good donor seat. It was sitting in a pile of rusty parts out on an old farm. And the price was right, free.

2ltj4tz.jpg

Here is the spring other hardware mounted on the seat. I found a guy who refinishes seats in my area. He is supposed to be good and cheap. I cant wait to see his work!

3461gy9.jpg

Glamor shot of the chain soaking.

15cbwd5.jpg

I got the truss rods banged somewhat into shape, and that brings the Higgins that much closer to finished.

xgcthg.jpg

Nice! I have a similar ride, but someone went nuts and painted it "wake up yellow"! :D I haven't taken it completely apart to see if I can tell what color it was. Plus, all the chrome is peeling off, but the price was right!
JCHigginsyellow.jpg
~Adam

Latest posts

Back