1960's Mattel Stallion - To Rat or Not To Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this one up today. 1960's Mattel Stallion. All chrome bike including frame, neck and forks. Looks like they will all clean up pretty well. Might need a new rear wheel, though. Missing a few spokes in rear that look like they have pulled through. Not sure how to fix that. Seat is in good shape, no tears and embossed with Mattel logo. Looks all original except the pedals. The tires are original, I think. They hold air, but otherwise are shot. 20 x 1.75 up front and 20 x 2.125 in the rear. Not sure what kind of fenders these had. If anyone knows anything about these bikes, please let me know. New to the bike hobby, open to suggestions on what to do with this one. To Rat or Not to Rat.... that is the question.

100_3611.jpg

Cool bike! It is the 1st I have ever seen. I would clean up that chrome real well and add fresh tires. That is really cool as is!

One of our members has a sweet one, it's his avatar too, but I can't remember who! He has 16" rims that look like lil wire wheels, with big fat whitewalls, it's awesome! I had one of those frames, sold it to a collector on ebay. ~Adam

The Sr. Pastor at the church I work at had one as a kid and several of the staff members who work for him have been kicking around the idea of finding him one for a gift.

Neat little bikes! :D

I'm very tempted to find a set of red wheels and whitewalls for it. How do you guys think that would look?
Spent the day with my 7 year old son cleaning it up. Repacked the crank bearings. The rear wheel is shot. Way too rusty to clean up, spokes missing and very wobbly. So I am going to have to do something about that wheel anyway. Need some grips and a kickstand for it. Might have to fab a kickstand as it is a very unique design. Not sure what I'm going to do about the fenders... might just run it fenderless.

If anyone's interested, there's one that's pretty complete in Lodi, California for sale.
Found it in a Google search on craigslist. The guy is asking $150.00.
Stockton CA Craigslist, AD ID# 927485370

Here's a picture of the one for sale on Craiglist in Stockton CA area.
mattelstallionLODI.jpg

This bike is Screaming out... Put a 5hp Briggs on me...."Can't you hear it"

I hear it, but I think it's actually screaming out " Put a Mattel V-RROOM" Motor on me!

Here's a cool link to the TV commercial for them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWLnjn1LXg

This bike cleaned up pretty good. I've got the whitewalls. I'm just trying to figure out what to do about the wheels.
I've got a few spokes pulled through on the rear and it's a pretty wide rim. Would like to powder coat or paint them red.

Thought I'd post an update on my Mattel Stallion. Cleaned it up quite a bit and re-greased it. It's looking a lot better. I installed some new pedals, new grips, bought a new set of whitewalls for it, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do about the rims. Looking for some red rims for it.

100_3939-1.jpg

100_3935.jpg

for whats its worth, i'd say clean it up if it doesnt look good ya paint it! cant restore, make it better and yours! also needs a gas tank.

Dude, that is just awesome! My grand dad (RIP :( ) bought me a Stallion in 66 or 67---whenever they were new, I forget. My neighbor had one(but his was brass/bronze/copper plated??) and I thought I had to also, so Pappy hooked me up! He even got me the Vrooom motor(which I thought was goofy, so I took it off :oops: )I rode it until I was 15, then sold it to a kid down the street for fifteen bucks. :cry: DUMBEST thing I ever did(well, maybe not the dumbest, but..)
I've been looking for one for years ...just to have, cause I'm way too tall to ride one again. I still have the owner's manual for mine---how's that for goofy?

So very cool. Good for you for saving such a RARE bike!(please don't rat it out :roll: )

This bike is Screaming out... Put a 5hp Briggs on me...."Can't you hear it" :wink:

earl schieb said:
...I still have the owner's manual for mine---how's that for goofy?

Would love to get a scanned copy of that. I created a resource site called Museum of Vintage V-RROOM! for Mattel Bike owners and I don't have one of those on there yet. That would be very cool to have if you could scan it and email it to me or go to the site and post it for others to see!

Latest posts

Back