Felt Heavy Duty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am happy to enter my third build off. As expected I will use my Felt Haribo frame . I have a relatively easy start in a sense that most of the parts are already there. During the build we will look at the parts in more detail, but for a start we can count the following puzzle pieces:
IMG_20210501_133611.jpg

Frame, my trusted rock Shox fork, exustar pedals, aero dual cranks, rack with a center stand. Bars with brakes and shifter. A sturmey archer shifter I might use. A messed up suspension post that I will use as a regular seat post. My Brooks b190 saddle.
This is the wheelset:
IMG_20210501_135804.jpg

I need to get the front tire and tube from the cellar, a quick brick.
The thick frame and rack combined with the wide rims, the massive brake levers, the wide tires, the BMX pedals and the big dual chain wheel, the huge saddle, the mini apes - it all looks sturdy and reliable, heavy duty, hence the project title. The rear hub is also a heavy duty version.
So attaching the rack and installing the fork and wheels will be pretty straightforward. This frame has been already built with this exact wheels and fork if I recall correctly.
The challenge for me will be to install a dual drive. I want to shift between the two chainrings so I have 6 speed bike instead of a 3 speed.
This means two shifters, provided it works, and even though I love having brake levers and shifters on the handlebars I might improvise dual stick shifters just for the fun factor.

Great platform and parts for your build.
You got my vote for using dual stick shifters.

Thanks for the kind words, Matti, and Kingfish. I am quite curious myself how will all work together.
I made a quick progress. I installed the rack. Since the rack is made for a completely different geometry I had to find a way to attach it. So I came up with the following - I attached the rack to a quill stem:
IMG_20210501_172518.jpg

If I widen a little the rack holes I can use the stem bolts.
Then I attached the quill stem to an adjustable ahead stem, without the clamp:
IMG_20210501_171906.jpg

Which is itself connected to the seat post. I simply attached the rail clamp to the lower seat rails:
IMG_20210501_172505.jpg

I will probably move it to the upper rails.
I found out that luckily the adjustment function of the ahead stem allows me to change the rack angle very easily until I find the one angle that is hopefully esthetically pleasing enough.
It is a little twisted, but I will massage it back into its shape.
IMG_20210501_174657.jpg

It has a reflector, but I think I will replace it with a taillight.
The rear tire:
IMG_20210501_172158.jpg

The front tire:
IMG_20210501_172126.jpg

Brake lever, the right one is the same:
IMG_20210501_172100.jpg

The Shimano Inter 3 nexus heavy duty IGH:
IMG_20210501_172413.jpg

Model number in case you want to look it up at the Shimano website:
IMG_20210501_171945.jpg

And then this is how it sits on the stand:
IMG_20210501_174416.jpg

And since the Felt has an integrated kickstand, we can see how it stays with the central stand folded and with the rear wheel on the floor:
IMG_20210501_174442.jpg

Last edited:
That's it for now. I will install the fork tomorrow, but can't do anything else for now. I ordered some parts - anti-turn washers, 1 1/8" to 1" shim, the BB adapter, a pair of bar ends. And a BB. I ordered the widest axle I found which is 131 mm and I have the unpleasant feeling that the 3" rear tire still might prevent me from using both chainrings. If it comes to that I will have to choose between switching to a narrower tire or skipping the dual drive idea. Duh :( We'll see.

Interesting use of the stem and rack combo. Nice parts pick too.

RaT oN!

Everybody is posting and I am a page 2 slacker?! Shame! Shame!...
I installed the fork. Needless to say it took me a while to find all parts from the Felt headset.
IMG_20210505_160306.jpg

I mounted the tire:
IMG_20210505_155952.jpg
IMG_20210505_155905.jpg

So just for comparison, a 3" rubs on the legs, right at that narrow part of the stanchions:
IMG_20210505_155936.jpg

Reworked the rack attachment again:
IMG_20210504_115451.jpg

I will use the upper holes to bolt something that would prevent any cargo from hitting the seat. This attempt brought the lines better together:
IMG_20210505_160122.jpg

I found this clamp is the right fit:
IMG_20210505_162624.jpg

I am going to mention the elephant in the room - the colors (out of space). I am not sure what to do about this - bare metal looks like immense amount of work and time, considering that I have done it. But this time I may have more surface. Also I would have to do most of the fork as well. I would not want metal dust to contaminate the suspension though. Has anyone used some paint stripper on a Felt? Is there even anything I can use indoors???
It will be easy to simply use vinyl on the tank and on the seat tube, but I would still have white frame, green rack and black fork. Visually not particularly appealing.

My BB arrived today. It looks like it might be wide enough to eliminate any chainline issue:
IMG_20210505_161004.jpg

I went through my parts and found these front derailers:
IMG_20210505_155654.jpg

The rear is the only one I have that it is axle mounted. The others are way thicker and when I consider the non-turn washer I might be left with very little thread on the axle.
So that's it for now. I hope that the BB adaptor and the non-turn washers show up tomorrow, so I can start working on the drive train.

Love your seat tricks and the rack mount is sweet!

That frame is likely powder coated from the factory, which is how most aluminum frames are painted these days. It will be a BEAR getting that to come off. I would suggest a light sanding to rough the paint, then use a primer (or not, don't really need it, especially over white) and then paint it a color that is pleasing to you and fits the build. If you don't prime it, prob need a couple coats to get the smooth and deep look. Just my .02.

The rest of my parts arrived today. I dedicated myself to finally make a dedicated tool to remove BB cups:
IMG_20210506_184258.jpg

As you see I used a leg from a Felt fork. Here some more parts of the same fork:
IMG_20210506_184807.jpg

This comes under the stem and emulates a double crown fork (triple tree) while in reality I use an unicrown fork.
I don't know yet if I use it this time.

Lol the tool turned out awful. I couldn't cut it deep enough. It didn't spread so I had to force it open. Then it was a pain getting in the BB housing. But I managed to remove one cup. The other will need some more convincing but I put some wd40 there first.
P. S. I gave up. I just got a big screwdriver and after four blows with the hammer I had the second out as well.
So making this tool was a marvelous exercise in futility.
But the BB housing is cleared and ready for a bsa conversion.
IMG_20210506_195211.jpg

Last edited:
Good try. It's probably more important to press them in correctly than remove them with a proper tool. I use a big brass drift and 32 ounce hammer to get them out. My home made installation press is two thick aluminum pucks, a few flat washers, and a piece of threaded rod. The last time I used it I managed to mung the threads so I'll need to find a grade 8 bolt and try again.

I love seeing all of the seat and rack experimentations. Cool stuff.

Adapter and BB installed:
IMG_20210508_152221.jpg

I then mounted the drive side crank. It looks like the chain won't rub the tire. So the next step is to get a second chain, because this one is of course for igh drive train so shorter than needed. I have enough chains and I think I also have a master link.
Mock up:
IMG_20210508_152930.jpg

I did some reading on derailers. I picked those with the longer cage. There is a jockey wheel missing that needs to be replaced,but not a problem. The front derailer is a triple but should work with a double chainring, I read. If it doesn't work I will look for a double derailer.
I started to sand the rack. It will take some time to finish of course.
IMG_20210508_153012.jpg

But it will be worth it because that green doesn't match the rest at all.

Latest posts

Back