Mismatched Wheel or Tire Sizes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about using a 26 inch rear wheel and 2 inch tire with a 700c or 27 inch front wheel and 1 3/8 inch tire or similar kind of combination, just to get that kind of dragracer look going. I know I've seen more than one bike on here with mismatched wheels and/or tires... who's got one that worked out well they want to show off, or maybe one gone bad to show as a cautionary tale?

Chopper build?
I used a 24x65 rim with a 3" tire in the rear ,a 26 x21mm rim with a 1.5" tire in the front in my kona hotrod chopper .
Work really well - the front appears smaller than the rear and handles well .
3bac5861a408a0164f2b211bbd966084.jpg
d9aab4cc46ca318c7a9555dfc6c013a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0696.JPG
My rat bike has 26x2.125 in the rear and a 27x1-1/4 in the front. Pretty sure it has a 44x16 gear ratio.

The front was a first time wheel build. It was more just to get practice, but I used an unbelievably smooth steel hub. I can certain feel the low rolling resistance and overall smoothness I get from that particular tire size.

As for the rear, I made the hub just as buttery smooth to compliment the front. The tire size is just right for me as I carry some pretty heavy loads when the rack is equipped. That size also matches the overall diameter of the front pretty close.

So as for that tire size combo, I can personally say I enjoy it. For a bike I built from scrap, it's very quick and carries momentum very well. I can also trust it to handle 40-50 pounds loaded to the rear.

Three outstanding examples of what I was looking for, thanks, guys. I'm shocked at how "right" the 24 x 26 ans 24 x 27 combos look. The 26 x 27 example illustrates exactly what I was considering, and confirms that it should look good.

It is becoming fairly common in mountain biking. Called mullets (generally 29in front/27.5 rear).
p4pb17160176.jpg

Also there were some older ones like the Trek 69er and Specialized Big Hit.
That is what I was going for with my BMX.

It is becoming fairly common in mountain biking. Called mullets (generally 29in front/27.5 rear).
p4pb17160176.jpg

Also there were some older ones like the Trek 69er and Specialized Big Hit.
I had a 69'er. Ugh............had it's moments but they were few and far between

Latest posts

Back