RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if I'd participate in a build off , but it would be cool to see some aux powered cycles in the mix or their own category, I've got a few bikes sitting in the basement that were planned for motors..so you never know.

While motorized bikes don't do it for me, I have no problem with them being in the build off as long as the bike is also pedal powered. They have been allowed for years. I don't see the need to have a separate class for such a small subset of the builds. Traditionally, there have only been one and more recently two classes. Splitting the build off further into various sub-classes doesn't make sense in my opinion. Unofficial sub-classes have been loosely organized in the past with mixed success. I don't see the need to have separate categories, Klunker, Strandie, Motor, Stretch, Lowrider, Boardtracker, Roadie, Muscle, Chopper, BMX, etc......... Just build a cool bike and have fun.

While motorized bikes don't do it for me, I have no problem with them being in the build off as long as the bike is also pedal powered. They have been allowed for years. I don't see the need to have a separate class for such a small subset of the builds. Traditionally, there have only been one and more recently two classes. Splitting the build off further into various sub-classes doesn't make sense in my opinion. Unofficial sub-classes have been loosely organized in the past with mixed success. I don't see the need to have separate categories, Klunker, Strandie, Motor, Stretch, Lowrider, Boardtracker, Roadie, Muscle, BMX, etc......... Just build a cool bike and have fun.

Agreed. Not an e bike or motorized fan either, but they seem to fit nicely into the class structure as is so why mess with it?

As for the votes, I'm all for a finite number allowed whether it's 3, 5, or 10. But it definitely can't be limited to a singular vote

It's a fun and loosely constructed "competition", let's keep it that way

Only half a month left!!!!
What does everyone have planned for this year!!??
I am still torn between two completely different builds.

The juices are flowing!! Great comment, KF! Let's keep focused on "building cool bikes and having fun", a mantra that you have always lived by and is a great way to approach a Build Off.

Here is a clue about what I am thinking for BO 16 from an OJ perspective....a picture is worth 1000 words, right? :bigsmile:

67893854_864097917308808_3059384039065518080_n.jpg

FORK!

I will probably be looking for a heavy duty utilitarian style. I have a rack with an integrated center stand, retro style, that I plundered from a Dutch donor. I will try to make it shift through both chainrings with the help of this derailer. I have some front derailers too, some mtb shifters. Probably a double stick shifter...
IMG_20210414_173213.jpg
IMG_20201208_111709.jpg

Yes I will terminate the fat fully. I will use the brake levers, the wheelset plus crankset. I will need a bsa adapter and a BB... I have the tires on hand (24x3.0 and 24x2,125)...

And there might be a surprise at the end. Or maybe at the front?

Well...
Splitting the buildoff into classes could allow for more than one entry.
I could do a powered build in one class and a traditional build in another and an over the top custom frame in a third depending on the build classes. It also keeps my "Farley Rusterson" from direct competition with your 1916 Tinkerville restoration...

Carl.

Well...
Splitting the buildoff into classes could allow for more than one entry.
I could do a powered build in one class and a traditional build in another and an over the top custom frame in a third depending on the build classes. It also keeps my "Farley Rusterson" from direct competition with your 1916 Tinkerville restoration...

Carl.
:39: hmmmm......

Way back in 2012 I built SGT.ROCK and had toyed with the idea of putting a 4 stroke on it. I still have the bike minus a few bits I've borrowed since then. I also have a modern Whizzer frame and tank that looks like it's never been built. Tank is the larger one and has never had fuel in it. Those China Girl motors are cheap and easy to source, so maybe a 2 stroke build would be the easiest. Whizzer frame, forks, seat and fenders from SGT.ROCK, yeah. I'm thinking the toughest part on a powered build would be the bullet proof rear rim. The black alloy rim shown here on SGT.ROCK would fold for sure. Ok so I'm spitballing a Dieselpunk themed oilburner. Hmm, what to call it? Hows about "Stoked"?
115misc%20111.JPG
\
Looks like the Little Neutrino rebuild gets pushed back again...

Carl.

I've gone from zero stash last year to 5 buildable frames and enough parts to toss most of them together. This year I will be able to spend more time building and less time waiting for the USPS. What I've mentally moshed together so far is going to be a pedal powered rat with enough twists & turns to be a fun mess. Old & crusty like all of my bikes. Still have one small detail to finger out.

Speaking of two weeks out..
Do we have a firm time frame for the Annual?
I'm assuming May 1st to Sept 1st...

Carl.

Carl.

I am assuming that approximate timeframe as well. What's it gonna be @Rat Rod ??

Carl.
May 1st to May 8th if you're some kinda rocket man like @OddJob :grin:

As far as a 3rd class, I think that would be good. "Motorized" E or IC, I remember a few years back there was a really cool and well done bike in the open class, but it was an E-Bike base and not sure why, being in an "open, anything goes" class...but I didn't like competing against it.

Latest posts

Back