Widening a forq

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

It's been a few years but i'm back building a simple cruiser.

26 inch front Wheel and a 24 inch back Wheel.

I'm using a old moped forq and it's too narrow for the rim... I wanted to use a 57mm rim but they were not available so i bought 65 mm. The distance between the fork legs is 69 mm. But the rims aren't 65, they are 67 so i don't have enough clearance..

Is there an easy way to make it a bit wider?
1555e5fde86cfa88663b81d1b2a1aad9.jpg
e84b2601fae6102333005c32179ce954.jpg
42d904a63e3e56d0c7b2210f130af2c2.jpg
e68d964858e419beed1efab55d6de94a.jpg
7bb5c54c3fc0efb1fc77a321aba33474.jpg
15b920753bbb5f5522cbd291d7b0dd3a.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J600FN met Tapatalk

Ziet er goed uit! Ik heb eens een NSU quickly vork in een fiets gebouwd. :thumbsup:

I will share some thoughts:
You can widen it, but it also depends on: Do you have the option to weld? Does the bike get front brakes?
I pressed fork tubes together once, did not work out that great.
I have the notion that the crown of the fork is filled-brazed. Here a tip I can give you: (If you would insist on using this fork).
Cut some tubes from a old motorcycle or bicycle frame (steel). Preferring a bend, so that it is wider locally than you rim and tyre.
File (vijl ;) ) the part to match in perfectly to you fork. And weld it.

Or else: There is a great framebuilder in the Netherlands: M-gineering
They are not that expensive, maybe they can widen your fork a bit. The reason I gave you the tip of M-gineering: They work with filled brazing aswell.

Or cutting a piece out of the fork, measure the cross-section and (CAD) draw a 3D printed lug in steel.

Good luck and have fun!

There's not gonna be a brake on the front Wheel. The wheel is gonna be a bit lower and more to the front since i am gonna put thrussrods on. I also need the clearance since the fork is for 24 inch wheels. I'm even considering converting it to leafspring.

I do have the option to weld.
I'm not sure whats the best way.

1. I can cut a piece out of the forkleg, and put it back inside out (or just put a flat piece in).

2. I can try to bent it to the outside, and a bit lower back to the inside. But i'm afraid it will kink.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-J600FN met Tapatalk

Cousin Frankie:
With the risk of being a wet blanket, I must observe that, aesthetics aside, the cheapest and/or easiest solution is a narrower rim.
Have fun!

Cousin Frankie:
With the risk of being a wet blanket, I must observe that, aesthetics aside, the cheapest and/or easiest solution is a narrower rim.
Have fun!
Thanks for your advice, i already solved the problem, check this.

Probably should have replied.. My sincere apologies!
13a0623435ea3a254c9261c4c863c83d.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn motorola one met Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back