Gravel bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the idea of gravel bikes. I wish I liked the idea of drop bars. I don't though, haven't used them since the eighties. More hand positions, yes, but none of them are any good! The flats are too narrow, and you can't use the brakes, and the drops are too low for me and my shoulder/back.
At least this way, you can fit a dozen brown bottles in a box between your hands:
dui002.jpg

Matti drops have come a long way recently, especially in the gravel scene. Flat ergo contours on top, ultra shallow flared-out drops etc... Perhaps something would be to your liking.

I really like the idea of gravel bikes. I wish I liked the idea of drop bars. I don't though, haven't used them since the eighties. More hand positions, yes, but none of them are any good! The flats are too narrow, and you can't use the brakes, and the drops are too low for me and my shoulder/back.
At least this way, you can fit a dozen brown bottles in a box between your hands:
View attachment 154271
I was the same. But some of the new generation are quite good. I know I'll ride on the hoods 90+ % of the time, but I'm eager to see. There are several varieties out there in the gravel scene that are quite good

Could always try a blend like a sparrow bar or the Whiskey Winston's

View attachment 154271
Bum bars

View attachment 154271

I mean all those things are pretty easy to fix these days. Quite a few companies make wide dropbars. Also the general shape of drop bars has changed a lot since the eighties. The drops are a lot more compact (so less reach and drop). For example my On One Midges only have 112mm of drop. And the new Ritchey Beacons only have 80mm of drop. Finally you can always raise the stem so that it isn't soo low. Just cause the pros ride that way doesn't mean you have to.

813C9E76-B6B0-44DE-99F4-25804F27B3FA.jpeg

Sounds like you need some Crust Towel Racks bars....

1618974691_img_20210419_134550_983_mmthumb.jpg

Just finished my gravel bike
Frame: Second hand Surly Cross Check

Fork: Crust Segmented

Headset: Stronglight with MASH SF headset spacers

Cranks: Vintage Sugino GP cranks

BB: Tange Seiki

Drivetrain: Microshift Advent 11-46 9 speed with bar end shifter. USAMadeComponents chain ring with Wolftooth bolts

Brakes: Paul Component Klampers and Neo Retro cantis with Jagwire compressionless housing, Orgin8 Classique levers and a Onza Chill Pill

Wheels: second hand DT Swiss rear hub with Alex Adventure 2 rim. Novatech front hub with Alex Adventure 2 rim. DT Swiss spokes and brass nipples. Handbuilt

Tires: Terrevail Cannonball 700x47c Tough casing

Seatpost: old Kelin fluted with S&M clamp

Saddle: Selle Italia Turbo

Stem: Soma

Handlebars: On One Midge with Surfas bar tape and Planet Bike gel padding

Pedals: Nukeproof Horizon

Other stuff: Custom rack from Praire Crow Bicycle Works with Wald 137. King Cage bottle cage, Cane Bell mounted to downtube shifter boss. Campandgoslow and Party Pace stickers.

Absolutely thrilled with it so far. I am honestly surprised at how quick it is. Still need to add hemp twine to finish the bar tape and shellac it and a similar chainstay protector. Want to build another wheel set at some point with lighter rims and nicer hubs and some more supple tires and use the ones I have for biking packing. Also waiting on a Paul Component light mount to get in.

This does work well as a gravel bike and is very comfortable. The mustache bars hurt my hands after a while though. Thinking about installing randoneur drop bars next time I need to replace the tape.
20210422_180039.jpg
20210422_180423.jpg

Whisky fork even! :thumbsup:
It's a way better bike than I'm worthy of. It was a 3 year old carry over at the LBS, he wanted it gone because he decided against carrying Salsa. He offered it to me at dealer cost, I took a test ride and whipped out my Visa. Far more bike than the Trek I went to look at for almost the same money.

Last edited:
This is an option I want to try out.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/comp-beacon-handlebar

With the very short reach and drop it is almost like a mustache bar without the downsides.

Honestly for me with dropbars, the most important thing is having multiple hand positions. There are alt bars that do this as well the only issue is those multiple position don't allow for access to the brakes whereas two on dropbars do. I'd love to try out Crust Jungle runners or Velo Orange Crazy bars (especially the new generation coming out). A lot of long distance bikepacking mountain bike racers use clip-on aero bars on flat bars.

This is an option I want to try out.

https://us.ritcheylogic.com/us_en/comp-beacon-handlebar

With the very short reach and drop it is almost like a mustache bar without the downsides.

Honestly for me with dropbars, the most important thing is having multiple hand positions. There are alt bars that do this as well the only issue is those multiple position don't allow for access to the brakes whereas two on dropbars do. I'd love to try out Crust Jungle runners or Velo Orange Crazy bars (especially the new generation coming out). A lot of long distance bikepacking mountain bike racers use clip-on aero bars on flat bars.
I've never seen the Crazy Bars before. Sweet options

1611363155__20210122_163957__original.jpg

Latest posts

Back