RRBBO16

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1618003193914.png

All the engine talk weirds me out, had to see if this was one of the car or motorcycle forums I frequent.
As far as votes go I enjoy voting for a couple each year. Don’t personally care if I get the zero because I use the build off as motivation more then anything.

Last edited:
Three weeks out today.

furyus

I just did this little warm up build in a day and a half.

20210410_173803.jpg

I'm going to do something different this year. What I'm not sure but I'm stockpiling parts.
I was able to scour the old parts at the bike shop and got the last cottered crankset that wasn't made in the last 25 years and a couple oddball hubs, they look like something from the Jetsons.
hubs 2 cotters.JPG

I usually have a complete game plan by now for a build-off bike. Not this year. All I have is a set of wheels and tires. I make it a rule that I do no welding or painting, so I can usually build my entry in a few days. That allows me to ride it all summer and tweak it or improve on it all summer. I want to do one of those rear frame extensions but keep it all bolt-on. Has anybody done this? Can I see your examples? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas.

I usually have a complete game plan by now for a build-off bike. Not this year. All I have is a set of wheels and tires. I make it a rule that I do no welding or painting, so I can usually build my entry in a few days. That allows me to ride it all summer and tweak it or improve on it all summer. I want to do one of those rear frame extensions but keep it all bolt-on. Has anybody done this? Can I see your examples? I'm having trouble coming up with ideas.
Tim, there are a few that have popped up over the years on this site. You could try typing in "dropout extension" in the search bar on the menu header of this page. I searched a couple on google as well, I may have to extend mine this year too.

For instance, I just searched for that and it came up with a number of cases where builders had used extensions on the rear dropout. Here is a photo from non-other than The Ren Man...
101_3290.jpg

As one example.

Last edited:
@LeMad Hatter did it on his Full Monty with a unique sandwich style

Polish_20200815_005532267.jpg

20200814_221201.jpg
20200815_204438.jpg

I put dropout extensions on almost everything I build. Some are better than others, in this last Unofficial March Shootout, 10' long 1/4" steel plates were a quick down and dirty way to stuff a 26x4 wheel into the rear quarter of an OCC stinkray...
Is it good or bad if I enjoy coming up with a catchy name and then building accordingly?
That's often the way I build a bike. Theme, name and frame. Those 3 things in no particular order. Sometimes I have a bike first and sometimes I have a name first. Occasionally I have neither and have to wing it. I have so many bikes now that I've been eyeballing old builds that I love but just don't ride. What good is a bike you don't ride?

Carl.

Also I could see a finite number of votes being put into place, say 3 or 5. That way each persons votes have the same weight. The way it sits now, the less votes I cast the more weight it has in proportion to the votes at large. It would still be that way but less of an advantage to vote small because we all would be. Of course that's only if you are really trying to vote for the best bike rather than voting for all our friends. With unlimited votes we are allowed the luxury of voting for all the popular kids, often overlooking quality builds. Mmm that must have been some sour lemonaid this morning... it's probably best just the way it is.

Last edited:
Wasn't @Wildcat doing one where he bolted on a chopped rear triangle from another bike? Second set of seat stays, dropouts, and a short section of chain stays bolted to the bike?

*Also quite excited that Reallybigtim is planning on competing!
That's what I am thinking. The rear triangle off of another frame bolted on to the back of another frame. I have seen it done, but I am still waiting for that "Eureka" moment to happen in my brain.

I had an extended bike last year in the BO too.
IMG_20200912_163056.jpg

But probably not this time.
I think I will build up my spare Felt Haribo frame. I have some cool brackets... I have a wheelset. I have an idea in which direction I go...

With unlimited votes we are allowed the luxury of voting for all the popular kids, often overlooking quality builds. Mmm that must have been some sour lemonaid this morning... it's probably best just the way it is.

Ha ha! Everyone says with one vote the same three or four builders will get all the votes. They’re wrong, and you’re right, Carl. Your lemonaid was exactly how it’s supposed to be.

furyus

Latest posts

Back