Unofficial March Shootout 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Shimano hub should work fine. I had a 3cc version that I rode for years with no problem, it even used a nexus bell crank when I couldn't get the original kind, except 3 was 1 and vice versa but it was fine. It may still be in good shape somewhere. On those, I put light oil right down inside the axle where the shift rod goes.

While waiting for my wheels to finish, I tried a longer bolt with an extra spring on the fork. The spring is from a seat and the bolt is one I used to widen the springer previously. These Chinese springers use the same bolt as the spring and pivot bolt. I think the front will float even more now with the extra spring, the factory setup doesn't allow for forward motion, it just stops at the rubber grommet. Now it will float. These are called knee action springers. So now the knee can bend backwards too. That might be good or bad, a road test will tell. I hope the front tire won't contact the frame when I hit the brake.
springer.JPG

A closer look at the springer.
10 mar springer.JPG

There's plenty of clearance for fork travel with the fork extensions. I tried the wheels on and they fit with no problem. The rear is wide for a cluster but just a couple of spacers lined up the chain line. The front is a rear hub but the extensions on the outside of the forks give a little width to the drops of the fork. It dropped right in.
10 mar mockup.JPG

Next is to hook up the chain, then engineer the front coaster brake. The frame looks like the seat tube should have been more angled more to the rear. I have a laid back post for the seat to ride further back.

Down and dirty. Burned off the stickers, scuffed it nicely with emory and a scruffy pad soaked in thinner. Quick gray primer followed by duplicolor red specked and blue metalcast for a funky grape fade. We'll see what old paint I can find to knockout the rest of the nasty green. Modded fork next to the original that's another maybe to return...
IMG_20210310_190157088.jpg
IMG_20210310_190219655.jpg

GC.

More progress. Brakes and cables are done. The pedal that had the destroyed bearing had too much damage to the cup to use. Fortunately I had a pair of plan B pedals that look the part; they are now rebuilt and installed. The chain is on. A kickstand of the correct length is installed. I ran the shift cable to get an idea of routing at the bars. I removed the lock tab washer from the headset and installed the reflector mount in its place, it has a lock tab too so no foul. I flipped the reflector and mount 180 to get it above the steering tube and it looks much better. Further progress is stalled until the USPS gets the shift pin to me.

Kind of looks like the last pic but with more stuff!

20210310_221411.jpg

I worked for a couple hours on Ratty Patty today. I removed the fork extensions to level the bike somewhat and make mounting the brake arm easier.
front coaster.JPG

I plan on having a handle to actuate the front brake. I remember taking a ride on a cable car in San Francisco years ago. The driver had to put everything he had into the brake handle to get the car stopped. It may have just been for show but he sure looked worried. I put a longer bolt in the springer cage to use as a pivot for the handle. I also added my old headlight I've been saving for years.
headlight.JPG

I'm also using a set of glitter hub shiners I've had for years. I may leave the rims as they are and just go with real patina throughout.
hub shiner.JPG

The chain is hooked up and it's a rider, just waiting on the front brakes and a couple other things.

Down and dirty. Burned off the stickers, scuffed it nicely with emory and a scruffy pad soaked in thinner. Quick gray primer followed by duplicolor red specked and blue metalcast for a funky grape fade. We'll see what old paint I can find to knockout the rest of the nasty green. Modded fork next to the original that's another maybe to return...
View attachment 152500View attachment 152501

GC.

You are just a little yellow paint away from having a reggae racer

Found the Bosco bars that came with the frame. Mocking up wheels and chainguard.
26x1=3/8 ERTO 590 & Shimano 333 3 speed.
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG

Or 26x1.75 ERTO 559 & Schwinn approved 5 speed.
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG

Wierd freewheel has 17t high gear - will need bigger front ring for road use.

Found the Bosco bars that came with the frame. Mocking up wheels and chainguard.
26x1=3/8 ERTO 590 & Shimano 333 3 speed.
View attachment 152566View attachment 152568View attachment 152569View attachment 152570

Or 26x1.75 ERTO 559 & Schwinn approved 5 speed.
View attachment 152571View attachment 152572View attachment 152573View attachment 152574
Wierd freewheel has 17t high gear - will need bigger front ring for road use.
I like the wider tires. The Allstates look good but I had a set just like yours on my Sears Austrian made 3 speed, they were like solid hard rubber.

I like the wider tires. The Allstates look good but I had a set just like yours on my Sears Austrian made 3 speed, they were like solid hard rubber.
Sounds like they were memorable - in a bad way. :confused:
Of course I can change 'em out. I just thought they looked like skinny hookworms ot thickslicks, tires I aspire to own, but have not yet.

They reminded me of the solid rubber tires on sidewalk bikes. But they looked good on my 8 dollar bike up in ND.
View attachment 152664
I've got one of those in the stash just waiting... I love the pool stick graphics. No idea what I'll ever do with it, maybe a rickshaw. Steel frame I can weld on and the black paint really makes that idea doable.

GC.

Stared hard at Sluggo tonight. There are so many issues with it, I see why the last guy gave it to me. The whole rear wheel set is wrong and I've got no wheels that really fit in the original fork. I just don't like this bike... Tomorrow may see a big change...

Carl.

Got the truss sorted out and moved the shifter back a couple of inches today. Moving the shifter gives me more room for a small tank plate, or a large gusset, whatever to help fill in some of that large empty space behind the 10" head tube.
20210314_185136.jpg

20210314_185008.jpg

New wheelbarrow shows me that the black and blue paint idea will work. :)
20210314_185317.jpg

Latest posts

Back