Vintage Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my frame and rims back from powder coating... Let the fun start! :)

Mike...

Attachments

• IMG_8962.JPG
    IMG_8962.JPG
    331.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_8967.JPG
    IMG_8967.JPG
    407.4 KB · Views: 110
So I built up the first wheel (using Sheldon Brown's info). The first thing I noticed is that the old Schwinn lacing pattern is totally different than what they do today. I like the newer patterns better.

The first two crosses, this spoke will pass outside of the trailing spokes, but for the outermost cross it should be "laced" so that it goes on the inside of the last trailing spoke. You will have to bend this leading spoke to get it around the last trailing spoke on the correct side.

Now I am waiting for the 2nd set of spokes. They didn't have silver in the length I needed, so I got black. I'll end up picking the color I like better, and order a set with the 2 month wait time!
IMG_8976.JPG

Last edited:
I agree on the black. I recently laced up a set of rims with black spokes and like the look on Chrome Molly.
tires kartridge.JPG

Also, the 57mm copper #G wheels had black spokes that I didn't think I would like at first.
72073_15f13dca8ac71c5c7f6ad9a49195b97d.jpg

So the last of the parts came in. The handlebars did not fit the bmx stem, so I ended up using a cruiser stem. The cruiser stem looks like it's begging for some spacer rings, like on today's mtn bikes!
IMG_9178.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back