Top 5 dream motorbikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pacific Coast is a new one to me.

How's it different from a Goldwing?
Seems like it would just take up Goldwing market space.
Smaller (800 class) and lighter. like over 200 lbs lighter.

I still regret not buying a Moto Guzzi LeMans V50 that was for sale locally in the early 80s. There were no local dealers in the pre-internet days so that became a deal breaker. There was something about that bike..........

-Kawasaki 2t 750 triple from the 1970s
-Yamaha 2t RD400 from the 70s and 80s.
-Husky Svartpilen 701
-Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 -2020
-Ducati Monster (any year, any size)

Ducati Monster
Oh yeah!

Pre-2008 for me, with the round headlight and stacked pipes.
1612150403788.png

I don't prefer the styling past that point. They seem, somehow, like a bike for generic speed nerds.

Hey! Pics are working again.

Will I offend if I rattle off the bikes on some of these lists that I've already owned. Not a humble brag, but insight

RZ350. Had a Kenny Roberts replica that I raced part time back in 95/96. Stacked it deep into the gravel trap on turn 5 at Road America. Sad day

RD350. Had one of those for racing. It was the bike I got my racing license with. Super fun. Probably got passed around my group of buddies more than any other bike

RD400. Had 2 street bikes over the years. Fun

Kawasaki H1 and H2. I had the little and my older brother had the big. He raked and stretched his and ran it with just stingers. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard

Memories.....................

Will I offend if I rattle off the bikes on some of these lists that I've already owned. Not a humble brag, but insight

RZ350. Had a Kenny Roberts replica that I raced part time back in 95/96. Stacked it deep into the gravel trap on turn 5 at Road America. Sad day

RD350. Had one of those for racing. It was the bike I got my racing license with. Super fun. Probably got passed around my group of buddies more than any other bike

RD400. Had 2 street bikes over the years. Fun

Kawasaki H1 and H2. I had the little and my older brother had the big. He raked and stretched his and ran it with just stingers. It was the loudest thing I've ever heard

Memories.....................
You owned Yamaha RDs and Kawasaki triples?
You sir, have lived an enviable life.

Coincidentally enough, I have a list that just had a fifth bike fall on it. It is my list of, 'if I were to get another bike...what would I get?'. My Wife has been pressuring me to pull the trigger and get something, but I think I'd rather get something I currently have up and going instead.

The list (in no particular order)...there is a theme, or a type, that I'm currently drawn to.

1) 2019+ Indian FTR1200 S. This is the dog of the group, but it squeaked in on cool factor!

VJYZ3PTY3ZD23M2BJ3W5OEZASM.jpg

2) 2011+ Triumph Speed Triple. New 2021 Speed Triple recently anounced...way more power, but it lacks the look of the previous Speed Triples. If I got any of these versions from the last decade, the bug eyes would be tossed and a pair of round headlights would replace them, like on the earlier Speed Triples.

TR3_5103.jpg

...but with these headlights...

Triumph Speed Triple SE  10  1.jpg

3) 2014+ KTM Super Duke R. One of the ugliest bikes ever...but, it has other positive attributes.

KTM 1290 Super Duke R 14  3.jpg

4) Ducati Hypermotard. I picked up a Kawasaki KLX250SF Supermoto for my wife a few years ago...I had a blast on it for a summer before I blew it up in my quest to wring every last drop of HP out of it... because it was gutless. Best handling stock(-ish) bike I've ever road. This Ducati isn't gutless.

...gutless Supermoto...

6ASPAHO3JRG7NKRCZPMJ5WTIXY.jpg

...grown up version...

ZMNSLBS74PCZMUIVIKGXFQM5UY.jpg

...and the recently added fifth due to a recent news article I read...

5) 2021?+ EBR (Erik Buell Racing) SX1190. I've been on the verge of owning a Buell several times. Everytime I am about ready to pull the trigger, some massive change happens that obsoletes them for me. Well, EBR is back... without Erik Buell... maybe this will be the magic formula that keeps Buell in business! 185hp...a tad over 400lbs...

middle.jpeg

I'm primarily a Harley / American guy, but I'm also a hot rodder at heart. I got my first Harley at 18, and it was my daily driver for several years...it was also my race bike for a few years as well in a racing series that must not have long outlasted my participation, because I can find no reference to it (AMA Thundertwin Series; mostly Sportys and Ducatis). So, the hooligan bike is a core part of my being. What started me thinking about getting a another bike is that I'd really like to have another Hooligan Harley (mine got stole out of the barn a few years ago), but the XR1200 of a decade or so back... has too much weight and too little power to satisfy my inner Hooligan. Hence the list. Two of the bikes on that list are brutally quick...and brutally ugly. The coolest is the Indian, but it isn't any quicker than my current Hooligan, a ZRX1100...and for that matter, it wouldn't take much to get the ZRX to the same, or higher level than the Speed Triple. The Ducati is super cool, but ultimately you are getting something with the ergonomics of a dirt bike and a rather limited top speed. So, for now I'll probably just hop up what I got. A 450 in the Supermoto and maybe some ZX11 heads and cams for the ZRX.

It's the same as the last incarnation of Buell...an 1190 Rotax. So, aside from that, made in America! :thumbsup:

They basically were brought in to liquidate EBR, but instead decided to relaunch it with a ambitious plan to expand into like twenty some different product lines (as opposed to the two Buell had)...including a hill climber, adventure bikes, motocross bikes, etc. The RX (sport/race bike) and SX (Hooligan) are the holdovers and initial offerings from the company.

Last edited:
That list was of attainables, now for the real dream bikes :grin:. A decade or so ago, it would probably be a list of bikes from my favorite custom builders (Jesse Rooke, Roland Sands, etc)...but, due to the exiting of boomers and fading away of genx'rs from riding combined with the weenieness of the following generations. Those custom bikes aren't unattainable anymore. Some can be had rather affordably (compared to current new bike prices). So, this list is of true original production (stretched definition on a couple of them) dream machines...

1) Confederate Wraith. The company still exists under a couple names, I think, but the dropped Confederate for PC reasons (now Curtiss and/or Combat). I love these bikes and desperately want one!

6b9bcba004780bb9e64a5ee72c56876d.jpg

2) Dodge :wondering: Tomahawk :39:. Dodge actually did a production run of these insane machines...rumored to be around nine produced.

dodge-tomahawk-concept_1thumb_1.jpg

3) Vincent Black Lightning. Classy. Elegant. Fast. What more could you want!

1952-vincent-black-lightning.jpg

4) Egli-Vincent. Same engine, stiffer frame and less weight. These came out in the late '60s with 15yo engines and we're still one of the fastest bikes you could get. You can still have one built today by the company of one of the original licensed builders... but now with 1330cc of Vincent power!

1-1543953452740.jpg

5) 1928 Harley Davidson JDH. The first superbike? Had a factory Harley race engine AND A FRONT BRAKE! :grin:

182891.jpg

:113:

Last edited:
I saw that Dodge Tomahawk at an auto show. It is INSANITY! Exactly as massive and scary as you would think. Try to visualize wrapping your legs around a V10. I imagine there would be a fair amount of heat too.

RG finds a loophole in thr system to submit 10 bikes instead of five!
exiting of boomers and fading away of genx'rs from riding combined with the weenieness of the following generations.
Lol. Boomers are the weeniest generation to ever exist. Their parents literally defeated a super villain and gave them the moon, like, the actual moon. They still whine incessantly about every aspect of life that's even moderately difficult, things like iphones and.. emotions.
Also.. who you think was handing out the participation trophies?? :bigsmile:

GenX is fine. Forgotten middle child that no one remembers. :thumbsup:

exists under a couple names, I think, but the dropped Confederate for PC reasons (now Curtiss and/or Combat).
Yeah, lamb PC warriors ruin everything, just like how they changed the name of the Honda Slavery Type R. :rolleyes::grin:

2) Dodge :wondering: Tomahawk :39:. Dodge actually did a production run of these insane machines...rumored to be around nine produced.
I remember thinking when this came out. Dodge, the car maker, tried real hard to make a motorbike, and still ended up giving it four wheels.

I don't really have a list of unobtainable dream bikes. Being unobtainable kind of ruins the dream for me.

But there is one I can think of
1931-brough-superior-ss100.jpg

Coincidentally enough, I have a list that just had a fifth bike fall on it. It is my list of, 'if I were to get another bike...what would I get?'. My Wife has been pressuring me to pull the trigger and get something, but I think I'd rather get something I currently have up and going instead.

The list (in no particular order)...there is a theme, or a type, that I'm currently drawn to.

1) 2019+ Indian FTR1200 S. This is the dog of the group, but it squeaked in on cool factor!

View attachment 152026

2) 2011+ Triumph Speed Triple. New 2021 Speed Triple recently anounced...way more power, but it lacks the look of the previous Speed Triples. If I got any of these versions from the last decade, the bug eyes would be tossed and a pair of round headlights would replace them, like on the earlier Speed Triples.

View attachment 152027

...but with these headlights...

View attachment 152028

3) 2014+ KTM Super Duke R. One of the ugliest bikes ever...but, it has other positive attributes.

View attachment 152029

4) Ducati Hypermotard. I picked up a Kawasaki KLX250SF Supermoto for my wife a few years ago...I had a blast on it for a summer before I blew it up in my quest to wring every last drop of HP out of it... because it was gutless. Best handling stock(-ish) bike I've ever road. This Ducati isn't gutless.

...gutless Supermoto...

View attachment 152030

...grown up version...

View attachment 152031

...and the recently added fifth due to a recent news article I read...

5) 2021?+ EBR (Erik Buell Racing) SX1190. I've been on the verge of owning a Buell several times. Everytime I am about ready to pull the trigger, some massive change happens that obsoletes them for me. Well, EBR is back... without Erik Buell... maybe this will be the magic formula that keeps Buell in business! 185hp...a tad over 400lbs...

View attachment 152032

I'm primarily a Harley / American guy, but I'm also a hot rodder at heart. I got my first Harley at 18, and it was my daily driver for several years...it was also my race bike for a few years as well in a racing series that must not have long outlasted my participation, because I can find no reference to it (AMA Thundertwin Series; mostly Sportys and Ducatis). So, the hooligan bike is a core part of my being. What started me thinking about getting a another bike is that I'd really like to have another Hooligan Harley (mine got stole out of the barn a few years ago), but the XR1200 of a decade or so back... has too much weight and too little power to satisfy my inner Hooligan. Hence the list. Two of the bikes on that list are brutally quick...and brutally ugly. The coolest is the Indian, but it isn't any quicker than my current Hooligan, a ZRX1100...and for that matter, it wouldn't take much to get the ZRX to the same, or higher level than the Speed Triple. The Ducati is super cool, but ultimately you are getting something with the ergonomics of a dirt bike and a rather limited top speed. So, for now I'll probably just hop up what I got. A 450 in the Supermoto and maybe some ZX11 heads and cams for the ZRX.
Get the Ducati!

Latest posts

Back