Unofficial March Shootout 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This is an "Anything Goes" bicycle build off with few rules.
First picture posted March 1st or later captioned "I'm in."
Posting progress pictures along the way is encouraged
(almost mandatory) and we'll all be in one thread together.
and on March 31st or before, final picture captioned "I'm done."
You can enter any bike in any condition,
but all changes/ upgrades must be made during the 31 day build off.

A voting thread with finished pics will be compiled afterwards.
A trophy titled "Rat Supreme" will be awarded to the winner
of the most votes garnered in a 1 week period.

Carl.

The Unofficial Shootout will be using the Central Standard Time zone for the beginning and end...

I'm in! I'm thinking of a name still. Ratty Patty still might work. The frame is an unknown bare metal old never used cantilever frame made of heavy pipe of some kind. I have a Bendix skip tooth hub with Hawthorne chain wheel and forks from a 1942 bike. I have a plan to make a cottered crank skip tooth. Old handlebars and truss rods with a old Brooks saddle will add to the rat theme.
plan b.JPG

rp parts.JPG

Last edited:
I'm in! My bike is named Bruised Orange . I'm actually de-ratting a former U-Haul rental bike. After buying it I tore it down to bare frame to evaluate it, ordered parts to freshen it up, cleaned up the frame and fork. Plans are to rebuild both wheels (already taken apart for cleaning and to replace the Shimano 3-speed with NOS), replace cables, replace brake pads, new tires and tubes, new seat and post, new grips, new headset, new bottom bracket, rebuild the pedals. The original bars had a kinked bend (bummer) so they are getting replaced.

Thread in Fresh Finds

As was on the day I bought it

s-l1600 (4).jpg

I'm not sure if we edit our original post or add posts to the thread. I've had the parts laid out ready to get started for the last week.
I had a few hours uninterrupted to work on my build. The neighborhood ladies are having wine and chatting. So far, It's been about 3 hours of peace. Ratty Patty is progressing fairly well. I couldn't use my old fork and truss rods, the fork was 1/2" too short for the frame. So I'm using a cheap springer, but I'll give it some fake patina to try to fit in with the real patina. The rims will need some aging also.
springer 1 mar.JPG

I checked to be sure I had enough skip tooth chain. That would have shot down the Bendix hub right away. It rolls as good as a front wheel with no bearing play, I'm amazed at the shape it's in. It needs a quarter turn to engage the brake but seemed to be in nearly new condition as I repacked it.
bendix og.JPG

The mounting of the big chain wheel to the cottered arm is going to be a little more difficult than I hoped for. The chain wheel didn't clear the frame using my first plan. I was going to bolt it to the arm but it will need to slide over the crank arm to have clearance. That will take some dremel work to get it done but then the alignment will be right on. I won't need to drill any holes in the chain wheel to make it work. The crank arm will get the hole drilled in it.

skip tooth.JPG

Then the handlebars need sanded down or wire brushed to match the patina on the stem. And I plan to use the copper plate on the chain wheel somehow.

copper.JPG

The 1960 Brooks B66 saddle looks good, it just has a tear near one of the rivets. I may take it to a cobbler (they still have those over here) to see if it can be repaired. But I like it just as it sits.

Brooks.JPG

@Wildcat you've got it right just continue to share in this thread. No need to edit into your old posts unless you want to change something...

Carl.

I'm in!
IMG_20210301_094031866.jpg
IMG_20210301_094036251.jpg

No idea for the theme just yet. I'm thinking "Sluggo" for a name. I do think the green is the WORST! So that's on the punchlist as well as either building an axle set up for one of the two front rims I have, or lacing up a skinny tire dually... (Do those ever really work out right?) I am hoping I can scuff it up enough to take new paint without stripping the whole thing. 31 days boys let's Get To Buildin'.

Carl.

I'm in.

Kinda late getting this post made. Weather (rain) and other real life stuff keeping me from getting started right off the bat.
Plans are to continue the metamorphosis of a clean cut 13 year old Townie into something with more attitude. And losing the clear coated decals under some new darker paint.
c9a3ea75920c4595d7b5c3596359ffbb.jpg
5b607f3a389277f769204b811bee2ff1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Tonights build time was spent reviewing the project from where I left off 2 months ago. I bought the bike in Gary Indiana which is an old steel producing town. A byproduct of steel making is slag and it is everywhere in Gary. The chrome had a couple hundred rust pimples from slag being stuck to it. The chrome itself was OK. I spent a lot of time cleaning off rust pimples; even disassembled the front wheel to make the job easier. The frame got washed, polished with Meguiars Swirl-X, and then waxed.

Tonight I replaced the headset with Haro parts and pressed in the cups from the YST bottom bracket that is getting used. The headset is thicker than the OE so I couldn't remount the reflector; I'll move it to the brake probably. I also assembled the handlebars with the grips and controls. The bars are MSR ATV high bend with 31 & 1/2" of path clearing badness.

But, into every good build a little bearing must fail. I don't think the pedals had ever been serviced and the left outer bearing was busted up. New bearings are ordered and the pedals will be spending some time in the ultrasonic tank for cleaning.

The frame & fork:
20210301_203944.jpg

Handlebars:

20210301_203515.jpg

Kashima saddle on new chrome molly hatchet post:

20210301_210259.jpg

Pedal abuse:

20210301_213556.jpg

All the parts posing for a group shot:

20210301_211103 (1).jpg

I'm in.
index.php

The Gentlemen's Kruiser.
Kawasho mountain bike. Made for Kawasaki in Taiwan. Inherited from my brother. He got it at police auction. Pulled apart. IDK what happened to the wheels - think they may have gone out the door on a flip bike. I don't miss them - they were super heavy.
Well it's all super heavy especially the fork... Has a lugged frame and the rear wheel OLD seems narrow for my Mtn. hubs...

Last edited:
Proof of concept...
IMG_20210302_113614709_HDR.jpg

Sluggo wanted to be time trials bike but his creators didn't make him that way. Every bike should be able to achieve their dream...

Now I need a paint scheme and some parts and some time... 29 days...

GC.

My first wheel build without consulting any guides is complete. Last month I built two wheelsets so I figured I would try it from memory. The process ls making sense to me now. The back wheel still needs to be built. I am getting them really close to being fully true but still need some more practice.

20210302_221523.jpg

I also did some spoking today. Since the skip tooth didn't work out, I am using one of two coaster hubs that just arrived today. 3 cross pattern.
rear wheel 3 mar.JPG

The old cottered crankset looks good and is ready to go.
chain wheel.JPG

The skip tooth components will sit until the annual build off. I ordered two of the coaster hubs since they were cheap, about 17 dollars each. To my surprise, they had plenty of grease and look ok. I may use the other one to do a chain front brake thing I've seen on some builds.
china hub.JPG

Latest posts

Back