My new to me Felt Iron Cross 400

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Newbie member and ameteur bike guy by comparison, but I thought I'd share my new to me Felt Iron Cross 400.

I do have another Felt- an El Guapo, and my first thought was "hey, I could build this into a moto cross themed bike", well then I discovered that Felt did the work for me many years ago, ha ha, so shopping I went and I found this one about an hour away from me.

This is how it looked as purchased:
IMG_8321lowres.jpg

Since bringing it home I've done the following:

- removed the "funoodle" padding
- replaced the rubber pedals with some beartrap style that look more like motocross pegs
- repaired the front fender/ cut a new rubber flap for the front, painted both fenders white
- replaced the seat with something more comfortable. Also like the chrome bar around the back which is reminiscent of a 70's Husky
- added a handlebar riser (I'm 6'2")
- replaced brake cable with a longer one
- added shock bellows on the fork
- added a vintage snap attachment handlebar pad
- added lights for night time riding
- fabricated a skid plate and added (aesthetic only)

IJLI6188lowres.jpg
HNTTE5303lowres.jpg
IMG_E8325lowres.jpg

This is how the bike looks as of this post:
IMG_E8437lowres.jpg
IMG_E8438lowres.jpg
IMG_E8439lowres.jpg

Future plans/ still to do:

- get the 3 speed to work properly. Still not yet successful in getting it to stay in 3rd gear. 1 and 2 work fine, but it doesn't want to shift, or stay shifted, in 3rd. Will keep monekying with it as time permits. Of course, any suggestions welcomed, even if I just need to buy a different shifter unit.
- get a better gold color for my skid plate. right now it's OK, but I'd like it more gold.
- thinking about having the rims anodized gold- light gold like the front hub.

My all time favorite Felt cruiser, I had a Husky WR250 when I was a kid back in the late '70's that was in that paint scheme.....what a screamer!

Very cool bike. To set the nexus 3, put it in second and turn the adjuster on the bell crank until you see the thick yellow line between the 2 thin ones. Check there aren’t any additional washers placed on the axle as this will add clearance between the pushrod and bell crank. Lastly ensure it has the correct size pushrod for the unit you have. From memory i believe the nexus is available in 2 different axles lengths. measure your axle and check the length of the pushrod fitted. A 168mm axle uses a 82mm pushrod.
175mm axle 87mm pushrod.

Very cool bike. To set the nexus 3, put it in second and turn the adjuster on the bell crank until you see the thick yellow line between the 2 thin ones. Check there aren’t any additional washers placed on the axle as this will add clearance between the pushrod and bell crank. Lastly ensure it has the correct size pushrod for the unit you have. From memory i believe the nexus is available in 2 different axles lengths. measure your axle and check the length of the pushrod fitted. A 168mm axle uses a 82mm pushrod.
175mm axle 87mm pushrod.
good to know, thanks! Will check this weekend

175mm axle 87mm pushrod.

Alright, I did some measuring today, and my bike has a 175mm axle, and an 82mm push rod. Sounds like I need a longer push rod, which is consistent in my observation that I can't seem to get the unit to push the push rod in far enough to hold third gear. Thanks again for this info!!

No worries mate. I think the size you need is 88. if you cant find one at your lbs try ebay. I got one recently.

Hey everyone,

Newbie member and ameteur bike guy by comparison, but I thought I'd share my new to me Felt Iron Cross 400.

I do have another Felt- an El Guapo, and my first thought was "hey, I could build this into a moto cross themed bike", well then I discovered that Felt did the work for me many years ago, ha ha, so shopping I went and I found this one about an hour away from me.

View attachment 151663

- replaced the rubber pedals with some beartrap style that look more like motocross pegs
- repaired the front fender/ cut a new rubber flap for the front, painted both fenders white
- replaced the seat with something more comfortable. Also like the chrome bar around the back which is reminiscent of a 70's Husky

View attachment 151665View attachment 151666View attachment 151667

View attachment 151668View attachment 151669View attachment 151670

- get the 3 speed to work properly. Still not yet successful in getting it to stay in 3rd gear. 1 and 2 work fine, but it doesn't want to shift, or stay shifted, in 3rd. Will keep monekying with it as time permits. Of course, any suggestions welcomed, even if I just need to buy a different shifter unit.
- get a better gold color for my skid plate. right now it's OK, but I'd like it more gold.
Turned out real nice, unique. I like it.

Hey everyone,

View attachment 151663

View attachment 151665View attachment 151666View attachment 151667

View attachment 151668View attachment 151669View attachment 151670

Great job updating/restoring. I’m curious if you’d sell the seat you took of the bike to me? Let me know and we’ll work something out.

Latest posts

Back