Electric Noob from San Francisco

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there. Been quietly browsing the site for a year. Super neat. Refrained from posting or browsing too much because I needed to stay focused on finishing an electric chopper/ratrod and definitely needed to stay away from more ideas or options:)

Bike is done enough that I’ve got something talk about and can participate here as a builder. I know a fair amount about electric bikes so let me know if you’ve got questions. Hopefully I can steer you clear of my time-consuming expensive mistakes:)

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I would like to see your chopper if you have any pics.

I'll take you up on your offer of intel on electric bikes. I've seen the hub motors and the motor that bolts up under the cranks.

1. What are the advantages of each type if I'm going to get a kit and add it on.
2. Batteries always seem to be an issue. Which type and how much voltage is always a question. Should I go with the recommended battery of the motor manufacturer or is there a formula as per motor/battery?
3. Would it be a good idea to get a used ebike that needs a battery and swap over all the stuff?

Thanks!

Hey there. Been quietly browsing the site for a year. Super neat. Refrained from posting or browsing too much because I needed to stay focused on finishing an electric chopper/ratrod and definitely needed to stay away from more ideas or options:)

Bikes is done enough that I’ve got something talk about and can participate here as a builder. I know a fair amount amount electric bikes so let me know if you’ve got questions. Hopefully I can steer you clear of my time-consuming expensive mistakes:)
Welcome @leadsledder glad to have you

I could do with some ebike advice in my thread here
https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-get-started-with-ebike-build.113275/

Happy to help. Here’s the blog post I published in Builds. Take a read there and let me know if you have questions:

https://link.medium.com/AIxsbhupfeb
Welcome aboard! I would like to see your chopper if you have any pics.

I'll take you up on your offer of intel on electric bikes. I've seen the hub motors and the motor that bolts up under the cranks.

1. What are the advantages of each type if I'm going to get a kit and add it on.
2. Batteries always seem to be an issue. Which type and how much voltage is always a question. Should I go with the recommended battery of the motor manufacturer or is there a formula as per motor/battery?
3. Would it be a good idea to get a used ebike that needs a battery and swap over all the stuff?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back