1962 AMF Roadmaster Sky Rider

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I used the original fork, I'd have to get the steerer straightened I think as I'm pretty sure it's got a slight bend to it, after checking it today.

I ended up ordering a headset with a 27mm crown race that'll fit (or should) the slightly oversized crown as it's the same size. So, I'm hoping I can mix that in with the original headset to work. If it does, then yay. If it doesn't then...I'm wondering if using a Schwinn Deluxe headset on top, would work? Stumbled upon them today...neat bit of kit. or is there a more modern variant? As far as I've read, they help reduce the the stack size...so hoping it would help with my short steerer issue.

Maybe you can compress the spring and put a small bushing under the acorn nut and make it work that way? Or maybe a thick locknut of the same diameter and thread size under the acorn nut?

Maybe you can compress the spring and put a small bushing under the acorn nut and make it work that way? Or maybe a thick locknut of the same diameter and thread size under the acorn nut?

Fork is fine, it's just the headtube on the frame is a wee bit tall for it. Bike I pulled it off of, actually had a large 3/4'' spacer.

Hopefully the crownrace from t he headset I ordered solves my issue. I do have a spare CCM fork I could probably use, if it came down to it.. Might raw it as well and have a 2 tone fork.

So, been browsing online. Seen that WTB came out with a "Flat Guard" version of their Thickslick, so I might have to get a pair of those, they're 2.0 wide. Supposedly solves the puncture problems the originals had.

Tires2.png

The bike came with a Western Flyer 1.9 Tire with diamonds stamped on it...if I had another, I'd run them as it's in basically NOS condition, no cracks from what I could see.. Really like the look of it.

So, did some playing around today with tires and rims. I took the Western Flyer tire off the original rim. It's actually a 1.75...don't know where I got 1.9 from lol.

But I inspected it a bit closer, and it's got no dry rot or anything, so I threw it onto the rear wheel I'm using for the build, which is a modern MTB rim. It's much skinnier than the original rim, so the tire profile is less square and a bit more rounded.

Modern MTB rim (Alexrim DH19) on top vs the original rim (not sure on brand?)
P_20201222_143836.jpg

It even had the original WF tube inside it, which still holds air. It's heavy duty, like a modern Downhill bike tube. Not gonna use it as my MTB rims are drilled for presta valves...but i'll be holding on to it..

P_20201222_144018.jpg

Comparison modern vs vintage. overall, there's not that noticeable of a width difference. The 2.125 Duro whitewall is a bit taller to fill the fender but, the knobby tread on the corner is what was giving me my tight tolerance with them.

P_20201222_150753.jpg

P_20201222_150916.jpg

P_20201222_150949.jpg

Then a mock up on the bike itself.

P_20201222_145756.jpg

P_20201222_150048.jpg

So, yea think I'm gonna ditch the whitewalls and try to get a matching Western Flyer tire or maybe a similar retro/vintage looking 1.75 tire...modern or NoS.

PS: Sorry for the bad lighting, working in a dismal basement, makes it hard to get good pictures lol. I tried one of those Yellow halogen work lights on a tripod f or that last pic...I've also got some 4ft flourescent lights I could hang in between the floor joists and wire in..

Looks like some good progress. Did you figure out how to make the springer work in the AMF frame? Also, are you planning to paint the springer to match or leave it black. I kinda like the black meself! Watching to see how you come up with your tire fix. I put some Kenda 2.125 tires on mine and haven't had any issues with rubbing, but they do seem smaller ( somehow ) than the 2.125's I have on my Flightliner clone.

Looks like some good progress. Did you figure out how to make the springer work in the AMF frame? Also, are you planning to paint the springer to match or leave it black. I kinda like the black meself! Watching to see how you come up with your tire fix. I put some Kenda 2.125 tires on mine and haven't had any issues with rubbing, but they do seem smaller ( somehow ) than the 2.125's I have on my Flightliner clone.

Thanks,
I'm still waiting on the headset I ordered, hoping it works, usually takes stuff a couple weeks to get to me from the US. I'm probably gonna leave the fork as is.

Well my eBay surfing kinda paid off..I picked up a 26'' x 1.75 Carlisle Zephyr Flyte tire for $50CAD shipped. Though I'm also watching an eBay auction for a matching Western Flyer tire that's bundled with a US Royal 24'' tire, both being NOS. It'll be $120cad shipped without any bids but If I can get it for that price, I'm golden, as I'm sure I could easily sell off the US Royal tire for at least half the cost?

Flytetire.jpg

Flyte2.jpg

Picked up a Troxel with crash bar on fleabay...it even came with a seat post and 2 clamps, Underside is spray painted but I'm sure I can get that off and back to original. It's not black but, it'll be fine, I think. I'm sure I'll be riding it a lot in 2021 and will need reupholstering at some point. I'm sure with the double pan, it'll be way easier to do than the mattress saddle I attempted at.

These are just pics from the eBay listing, it was just shipped the other day. With shipping, it cost $160 Canadian. I was the only bidder on it. Good or bad deal? Idk...but It was top of my budget for a saddle like this and it seemed like it was decent shape....

Trocxelseat.jpg

Troxel2.jpg

So, still waiting on all my parts.. even the seat clamp @alleycruiser sent me, gave me time to mull about a couple ideas..

I noticed extra holes on my rear rack, I know the Luxury Liner had this same rack and the holes were where the bent rod mounted to for mounting to the bike.

I was thinking of making some saddle bag mounts in a similar fashion to the Luxury Liner and attach them there? I just don't know what to use though, was thinking maybe stainless steel brake line? As I have a small bender for it....I don't know the diameter of the rod/tubing used for the rack on the Luxury Liner....or if a length of brake line would be sufficient for any sort of weight. I don't have the means to bend solid rod though, so if I can get away with tubing, that'd be great.

Other suggestions for a saddlebag/pannier mount?

P_20201218_153956.jpg

59545421311c84b8df338039be740179.jpg

Also, the lights I'm putting on, I thought about making a battery tube, like the old ones mounted to the seat tube, what would be good for making one of those? The headlight I had on my last build is a black bullet style LED headlight from China (all metal construction housing), with the 3-AAA inside it. But I now have a dual bulb Sears bullet style light that runs off a generator. and I wanna use that light but without the generator.

Looks like the brake line would work just fine. I checked on the seat clamp a couple days ago. It's in SF California. Here's the tracking number. LH125128875US.
I'm looking forward to more pics as you continue. Did you figure out the fork and make it fit the frame?
I'm pretty much done with my Skyliner, but would like to find a rear rack like yours. Ebay doesn't have one.

My matching NOS Western Flyer tire showed up today, along with the Schwinn tire that the Fleabay listing came with. I'll probably sell off the US Royal tiree as I have no use for it. it's NOS as well. Not sure on its worth though.

Still no headset though...last part I'm waiting on, other than the head tube badge I got off a member over on The CABE.

P_20210111_135203.jpg

So, my headset finally arrived....except, it's completely the wrong one I ordered. On the other hand, it's a more expensive headset I received, compared to what I paid for.

I originally ordered a generic BMX steel headset, with caged bearings and a 27mm crown race to fit the Monarch repop fork. What I got? A Cane Creek Forty headset, in a EC34 Flavour. I run Cane Creek Forty headsets in my road bike and my mountain bike and they're fantastic headsets. It just doesn't work for my purpose.

P_20210120_162625.jpg

P_20210120_162842.jpg

...So I guess I need to find another headset with a 27mm crown race. I guess I can use this headset in a future retro build or something. Or more likely throw it up on local marketplace as returning it isn't worth it.

Was happy that the last piece for my build arrived...until I realized it was the wrong one.

I'm looking forward to some pics of the forks installed on your ride. And all the parts you had to get to make it work........

Haven't been doing much to the bike lately, but I should be continuing it, now that I've got the fork installed.

So, I ended up doing what @Wildcat and @Dr. Tankenstein suggested and using the original fork the bike came with, which was actually too long and the extra length came in handy for the top plate of the fork. I was able to use all of the original headset as well, with no janky setup.

Just a temp fit, for now, I need to rub down the fork and fender with BLO to match the rest of the bike and either trim the fender strut to fit or swap out the strut from the fender that was originally attached to the springer. I've got some rivet screws. Though, I like the strut it has but at the same time, I don't wanna cut it down...decisions lol.

Bike also has a set of matching Western Flyer NoS tires.

P_20210216_142336.jpg
P_20210216_142518.jpg

I might also raw the black part of the fork, I'm not sure yet...

Next, I'll be marking up the holes and drilling to fit the headbadge I got, thanks to a member over on The CABE.
P_20210125_183339.jpg

Latest posts

Back