King O' Lawn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly a rat rod bike, but definitely retro, rat rod mower,
picked it up at a garage sale yesterday for $10, circa 1958?
I think I've found a Briggs 6B rope pull for it.

IMG00036.jpg

I love old mowers too. I picked this up off craigslist two years ago. It converts to a snow blower too. It's an old Ariens from around 1964. Same age as me. It runs better though. :cry:

0923071630a.jpg

Power reel mower is absolutely the best for Bermuda type strains of lawn. Here in the desert Bermuda strains are the only type that can survive our 2 month berage of 24-7 100+ degree heat. Reel type mowers are the only ones that can cut down to 5/8" that is recomended to support healthy growth. I would have snapped that one up in a heartbeat!New ones retail in the $500.00 range, and that one you have there is a well built vintage model! Nice find. :mrgreen:

Here is an old mower that I sold a few years ago to a collector.

snap1.jpg

It was an early "Snappin Turtle" riding mower built in 1956.

Here is my personal bird now.

yr60yard1.jpg

It's is a 1973 Yazoo 60" cut with a Kohler 18hp OHV engine. I rebuilt it in 1992. It provides me with added income on the weekends mowing yards for others. It helps finance my bike hobby. Thanks!!!

cashman said:
Here is an old mower that I sold a few years ago to a collector.

snap1.jpg

It was an early "Snappin Turtle" riding mower built in 1956.

Here is my personal bird now.

yr60yard1.jpg

It's is a 1973 Yazoo 60" cut with a Kohler 18hp OHV engine. I rebuilt it in 1992. It provides me with added income on the weekends mowing yards for others. It helps finance my bike hobby. Thanks!!!

Good Lord, those last two aren't lawn mowers, they're swamp buggies!

That snappin turtle rocks!!! I gotta get one of those! Who made those, what vintage? Looks like late 40's early 50's by the motor.
The original Snapper factory is just down the street from me, they shut it down back in the late '80's, you can still see the outline of "Snapper" in the faded paint on the building,
HPIM0845-1.jpg

Come to think of it, I think I know where I can get a vintage snapper. Will post when I get it!

If memory serves me right? That particular Snappin Turtle was built in Sarasota by Whirlaglide. The original owner was a B-17 mechanic/tail gunner that lost his leg during WWII. He qualified for a veterans program that provided for ambulatory challenges in 1956, and this mower was provided to him through that program at no charge. It was about 1973 when he decided that the rope start was getting hard to handle. We were directed to trade to him, a new Snapper model 307XS through our distributor (Joe H. Brady and Associates). I delivered the new mower and showed him a basic run-down of maintainance and he presented me with all the nomenclature associated with the original mower and even showed me how to start it with any and all quirks associated with it. I took it back to the shop and parked it upstairs where it sat until 2003 when I finally advertised it for sale and sold it during the first phone call. Thanks!!!

This topic Rocks! I'm a Greenskeeper and seeing the vintage turf gear is cool! 8) 8) 8)
Cashman-the back of your 'personal bird' looks just like the 30+yr old Toro? Sandpro we have on our course.The front of your pic was cut off for me but know it's my background pic! :wink:
L8 EM

I have a little engine that is probably about 3 or 4 hp that supposedly was removed from a reel type mower. The brand is Continental and it has an angled cylinder head.

Crassly, Those small Continentals are are highly prized as collectables. Especially among the David Bradly tractor guys. The most sought after models are AU7 and AU8. They were way ahead of their time with the slant cylinder. You can look at all the Honda/clone engines of today and see how they copied that same platform used by Continental back then. Thanks!!!

Reminds me, anyone ever see a "Flymo" in action? Had a 2 cycle engine and fiberglass deck with no wheels! It was a hover mower! I've seen a couple in a mower junkyard once. ~Adam

I have. I actually worked on one at a mower shop I worked at once. The fiberglass was a horrible puke green. it was kinda cool. Worked well for mowing down sidehills and ditches... A pain to get engine parts for though...

hey i just found a king o lawn and a black hawk ball bearing mower. the king o lawn is a circa 1958 but i have no idea what the black hawk is. can anyone help me out with these??

Latest posts

Back