Repair or Trash SUMO Bike Rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this bike on CL a few months ago and finally started to begin working on restoring it. I really liked the look of the matching blue rims to the frame.
After taking it apart to clean it up I noticed the rear rim was very bent. The sidewalls are bent inwards along with the rim being bent. I have experience truing wheels with a wobble. But I have never experienced a rim bent this way.
Is this rim salvageable? Any recommendations for repair techniques?
raleigh-easy-ridin-cruiser.jpg
rumo-rim-stamp.jpg

Sidewall bent in on the right side.
sumo-rim-bent-top.jpg

bent-sumo-rim-before.jpg

See how close the sidewall is at the top.
bent-sumo-rim-edge.jpg

Thanks all, decided to spend the $ and get the right tool to hopefully have it straight enough to ride again.
Spokes are also a rusty mess. Thoughts on replacing spokes or cleaning up and keeping the original?

I’ve done both-cleaned up old spokes and bought new.
Effort-I’d buy new.
Original Equipment value-there’s little in my opinion, I’d buy new.
Take this opportunity and get some different color nipples while u r at it.

I’m pretty sure it will still have a wobble or hop when your done. I’ve never been able to get a rim that bent perfect. I have a 30s cruiser with double drop center rims that were bent. I used a rim tool and respoked it. Some of the spokes were sticking far into the inner tube space so I cut them off. It took that much to get them almost perfect. The wheels are a little bouncy but good enough to ride with a coaster brake. I have even taken flat spots out of rims by removing a few spokes on the flat spot and pumping up a small bottle jack against the hub with a curved wood block on the rim. They do make a shop tool to take out flat spots, but I don’t have one. I’ve straightened a lot of steel rims, frames and hubs. I’ve had no luck with aluminum alloy. Sometimes these steel parts come right back perfect and sometimes they improve but are not perfect. I just straightened a bent Campignolo vintage steel track hub and that sprung back perfect. It’s now on a wood rim and works great. Replace the spokes and use brass nipples as you have a better chance of not stripping the threads if you have to pull out a significant wobble. Longer nipples might help where you need more pull.

Last edited:
@us56456712 I'd love to see pics of the campy hubbed wooden rims. Perhaps on a bike?
The bent hub I straightened is on my Diamant East German track bike. I’m not sure if it’s hanging in my garage or if it’s in the attic. It was hanging from the garage ceiling, but I rearranged all my bikes in September. I’m pretty sure it’s in the attic in a row with my other track bikes. I’ll see if my knee is up to getting a photo tomorrow. I have another track bike with vintage Campy hubs and wood wheels. It’s a 1920s Gloria and it’s in my living room but the lights are out, my grandson is sleeping and others are in there watching the tube in there. If nothing else I’ll post the Gloria wheels tomorrow.

Last edited:
@us56456712 I'd love to see pics of the campy hubbed wooden rims. Perhaps on a bike?
Here is the Gloria. Wood wheels and NOS first generation Campy telephone dial track hubs. Skip tooth block chain. I’ll see about the Diamond later.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back