Selling/Trading During the Pandemic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the increased new cases is being sensationalized as the the death rate isn't really tracking with it. Probably more testing = more new cases.

daily-covid-cases-deaths (1).png

Its not meaningless...but it doesn't mean what is being reported. The media is pressing the narrative that the pandemic is more out of control, spreading because people aren't complying with mask/distancing protocol, and enacting, or threatening, more restrictions/shutdowns.

So, the experts have been saying for quite awhile that the true extent of the Covid spread is probably somewhere between 5-25%. If testing is up...then we are just identifying more cases, not exposing a greater spread of the virus. My wife's job is a great example. There are 2700 employees and there has been no testing until last week. Last week they gave every employee two tests, one rapid and one standard lab test. That's 5400 tests for these people that haven't had any other work related tests until now.

If the reality is that we are at the plateau or on the downside (the death count is decreasing in many states)...then these additional restrictions/shutdowns are causing further harm with no justification.

Its not meaningless...but it doesn't mean what is being reported. The media is pressing the narrative that the pandemic is more out of control, spreading because people aren't complying with mask/distancing protocol, and enacting, or threatening, more restrictions/shutdowns.

So, the experts have been saying for quite awhile that the true extent of the Covid spread is probably somewhere between 5-25%. If testing is up...then we are just identifying more cases, not exposing a greater spread of the virus. My wife's job is a great example. There are 2700 employees and there has been no testing until last week. Last week they gave every employee two tests, one rapid and one standard lab test. That's 5400 tests for these people that haven't had any other work related tests until now.

If the reality is that we are at the plateau or on the downside (the death count is decreasing in many states)...then these additional restrictions/shutdowns are causing further harm with no justification.
Ok, let's just agree to disagree before this escalates again.....

When we are asked to turn in our old bikes for scrap, and then need an approved permit to buy a new bike, then I'll start to worry. In WW2, we didn't know if an attack was coming and if we would lose everything tomorrow. That went on for almost 5 years. We did what was needed, made sacrifices and stuck together. It worked then and it will work now. Unity.

The decrease in death rate is being attributed to better knowledge on treatment with increased knowledge of how the disease works and the rate increase being more with younger people who are generally more resilient.

One of the things I do is write. What I'm working on now is a series of short novels about three animal friends that's appropriate for around middle school age and up. My previous series, that I sort of abandoned, was a very violent quartet about a weapons transporter for an entrenched criminal organization that was decidedly not appropriate for that age group and then some. I never would have considered this before, but thanks to 2020, I've decided that these stories all take place in the same universe and that I am going to end up replacing the human species with a hybrid that is not subject to most of our cognitive biases and the base drives that have apparently stalled our collective growth. What allows this species to take root is help from my antiheroes and a disease much like C-19, but with a much longer asymptomatic contagious phase and a higher fatality rate. Not everyone dies of it (or the subsequent instability), but the ones who are left largely become antagonists to the new species, .... bradypus. Of course, the irony of having all this time home to write is that I find it very difficult to write at home, but at least I can do the illustrations for the animal stories and I'll get to the sci-fi stuff or I won't.

This is still a pretty civil site. I suppose if one were comparing it to the wider internet, that would be very faint praise, but I don't mean it as such. With all the people suffering right now, it's pretty fortunate to still be here and able to do unnecessary things with bikes. I never thought I'd live this long and never could have imagined life on the other side of PTSD, yet here I am. I try to be thankful not just for surviving, but for being able to become a better person than I thought I could be because of my incredible fortune in having a few select people in my life who saw that I could be more than I thought I was.

Probably more testing = more new cases. this has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever uttered i was going to go political here but lets just leave it at that
I
was going to stay out of this but i can't first off this pandemic is out of control. you can't present any other logically case to prove otherwise. any other theory are the musings of an complete idiot or somebody that been living in a cave on top of mt doesnotexist for the last 10 months . and this absolute horse crap about if you don't do so much testing you would not have so many cases is not sane in any bodies world the testing tells you just how out of the control the virus really is there is no logically explanation you can give to support the contrary we have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that people not doing what they are supposed to, fuels the spread . and if the people are too stupid or stubborn to not adhere to these rules they then must be forced upon them for the sake of all mankind and to bring the virus under control If the anti vaxxers don't want to get the shot that's fine don't take the shot but somebody that is not wearing a mask now that directly impacts my family and my fellow man and that now gives me the right to say something about it. and you will not and i repeat will not be coming near me or family or friends without a mask full stop

Probably more testing = more new cases. this has got to be one of the dumbest statements ever uttered i was going to go political here but lets just leave it at that
I
was going to stay out of this but i can't first off this pandemic is out of control. you can't present any other logically case to prove otherwise. any other theory are the musings of an complete idiot or somebody that been living in a cave on top of mt doesnotexist for the last 10 months . and this absolute horse crap about if you don't do so much testing you would not have so many cases is not sane in any bodies world the testing tells you just how out of the control the virus really is there is no logically explanation you can give to support the contrary we have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that people not doing what they are supposed to, fuels the spread . and if the people are too stupid or stubborn to not adhere to these rules they then must be forced upon them for the sake of all mankind and to bring the virus under control If the anti vaxxers don't want to get the shot that's fine don't take the shot but somebody that is not wearing a mask now that directly impacts my family and my fellow man and that now gives me the right to say something about it. and you will not and i repeat will not be coming near me or family or friends without a mask full stop
I agree with you.

But RRB is the watering hole. Lions and buffalo drink together. Only the crocodiles get snappy here.

Tone it down a notch ir two.

(will do ) it is just one subject am that really lights a fire under me
while you have gotten me back to the keyboard i would like to make 1 other small point i am lucky to have 3 doctors in the family all 3 of them them well respected GP's they don't seem to be too concerned about the up coming flu and cold seasom primarily because of the precautions people have already been taking they say that will go a long way to mitigate the upcoming common flu and cold outbreaks

...and if the people are too stupid or stubborn to not adhere to these rules they then must be forced upon them for the sake of all mankind and to bring the virus under control...

And people get mocked for calling the mask mandates tyranny.

furyus

i don't know in what context to take your reply but i have now said i would stay out of this and i will

Last edited:
i don't know in what context to take your reply but i have now said i would stay out of this and i will

Your quote sets the context.

furyus

Can you define that word? Wanna see where you're coming from. Not trying to be insulting, need to understand what you mean.

Merriam-Webster definition will suffice.

furyus

myself as well i should not have opened my mouth which was my original intent stupid me

just to appease you furyus and with all due respect
And people get mocked for calling the mask mandates tyranny.
i understand the the meaning of the word tyranny full well but I was somewhat unclear as to your stand on mask wearing or being told you should wear a mask
hope that cleared things up for you
i am truly now not going near this subject again

Merriam-Webster definition will suffice.

furyus
Gotcha. I fail to see how a mask law meets those criteria. Similarly, I don't feel seat belt laws are oppressive either, but are actually a public health benefit. The mask and lockdown mandates are inconveniences at worst. I don't think we're going to convince each other any different.
Have a nice day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back