Mutant Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just acquired such an animal cuz it’s a straight bmx fork for some future build. Seems it needs a 1 3/8” bottom bearing in the headset and a 1 1/8” top bearing??
Does anyone have advice on what headset (with cups) that I will need to buy? Maybe provide a suggested product or link? I’m planning to put it in an old fat tire style steel frame.
Thanks

Thanks for the lead, good Dr, but after scrolling past 22 pages!!! I found that the king of fishes needed 1 1/8” bearing cups to fit an old head tube. That’s slightly less of a problem than I have. A 1 3/8” bottom bearing is madness.
Im thinking I may cut off the steer tube and weld on an old school replacement. I’ve googled 1 3/8” and found it may be a Specialized brand thing??? I just don’t know.....

Yes, well I think it’s a tapered steer tube. Top is 1 1/8” and bottom is 1 3/8”. I bought it as just the fork so not sure what it was designed for. Kid that I bought it from said he pulled it off a dirt jumper.

Well Cane Creek was making an adapter that let you run a tapered fork in a 1.125 head tube, but if I recall it only worked in 44mm tubes or integrated tubes. If you have smaller than a 44mm id tube I don't know what you'd use other than custom machined and carrying the bearings outboard. Unless I'm thinking about it wrong

Ok verdicts in.
sheldon brown to some mountain bike forum to cane creek headsets which said NOPE, it ain’t gonna happen like I want it to. It be like the Captain said. So thanks guys. Looks like I’m cutting the taper off

I’m cutting the tapir off
vZVKvX7.jpg

Latest posts

Back