Need Some Assistance From The Chain Experts, Please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope someone can help. The OEM chain that came on my Schwinn measures out at:
Roller width= 1/8"
Roller dia= 5/16"
Pitch= 1/2"
Pin dia= 9/64"
Which equates to a #410 (1/2" x 1/8") chain.
I wanted to swap it with a nickel plated chain, so I bought a 1/2" x 1/8". However, when I tried to instal it, it alighns well for several teeth and progressively becomes misaligned? Then as it comes around it lines up again. Here's a pic:
IMG_2139.jpg

So, I measured the nickel chain and it too was:
Roller width= 1/8"
Roller dia= 5/16"
Pitch= 1/2"
Pin dia= 9/64"
But I noticed something odd when I put them side by each and took a pic. Can you see it?:
IMG_2143.jpg

The nickel links are longer than the OEM:
IMG_2145.jpg

OEM Link:
IMG_2150.jpg

Is this whats causing the issue? What can I do if I want to run a different chain? I'm at a loss here.

Last edited:
Try stretching the chain manually. Hold down one end with your foot and pull along it. Or close it fully with the link around a pole and pull on it.

Last edited:
Try stretching the chain manually. Hold down one end with your foot and pull along it. Or close it fully with the link around a pole and pull on it.
Interesting, I didn't think you could stretch a chain? I know that when they wear out they get longer because of wear.

It has to do with being a new chain. Some use thick lubricants. Never encountered a situation as severe as yours though. Some new chains can get quite loose after a short break-in.
That particular new nickel chain (by ConneX) I bought originally for my other Schwinn project (below) which has a vintage 1976 46 tooth chainring and it works perfect.
nickel chain.jpg

I noticed that the OEM chain that came installed on the new Schwinn (in the 1st post above) is a KMC, so I bought another same size, but in a nickel finish. We'll see what happens. If its snug I'll give it a tug, if that doesn't work, I'll live with the OEM chain haha. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Got it. Fine tolerance chain with a cheap chainring. Have to give the ConneX a try. Use Izumi chains mostly. Poorer quality Kmc for colors. The silver KMC should work NP. Lose that blue ring if it doesn't.

Got it. Fine tolerance chain with a cheap chainring. Have to give the ConneX a try. Use Izumi chains mostly. Poorer quality Kmc for colors. The silver KMC should work NP. Lose that blue ring if it doesn't.
Yeah the ConneX has a lot of good reviews, its really smooth on the Stingray, even with the cheap China components in the rear hub.

I'm such a slacker, mixing and matching old recycled chain....
In my stash of inherited parts I have a couple new KMC chains, have to try one to improve my experience.... :)

Got it. Fine tolerance chain with a cheap chainring. The silver KMC should work NP. Lose that blue ring if it doesn't.
Success! You hit the nail right on the head with regard to fine tolerance chains vrs. cheap chainrings. Worked like the champ, fell right into place. I learned a good lesson with this one, thanks.
new kmc chain.jpg

Dude that is a nice bike. Love the blue Back in the 80s I had a Torker with chrome and blue anodized accessories and gums. Thanks for sharing about the chain, that will come in handy in for sure.

Dude that is a nice bike. Love the blue Back in the 80s I had a Torker with chrome and blue anodized accessories and gums. Thanks for sharing about the chain, that will come in handy in for sure.
Nice, I had a chrome Mongoose with all red anno accents and gums. I busted the frame at the neck doing some very high jumps. Took all the goodies off and mounted them up to a Gary Little John "prototype" frame that I got my hands on. Man, I cant begin to imagine how much that would be worth today. I think my dad sold the bike at a garage sale for like 25 bucks haha.
Yeah, the whole chain thing was a new experience for me. Used to be that a chain was a chain and a chainring was a chainring....or sprocket as we used to call them back then. Now I have several on hand, so it wont be an issue in the future for other builds, swaps etc.

Doesn’t matter, use what ya got. You guys are too picky. Ten speed chain on a single speed, sorta works, the sides of the ten speed links wow out and make noise. Eventually it all grinds into place. I worry about breaking a ten speed chain on a single speed maggot parts bike, but over the last thirty years of doing this not one broke. I broke many wally world Bell single speed chains though. I currently have a 1938 to 1941Schwinn New World skip tooth bike. I had to replace the chain wheel as the original was rust welded to the original bent crank. The spacing on the skip tooth chain is too tight for the replaced chainring and it makes a disturbing crunch when it decides to re mesh. Persistent riding has somewhat improved it but the robust nature of the chain and ring will probably take a few years riding to mesh. Helps being deaf. I got annoyed with it and made the chain tight. I hope it meshes before the bearings give out. My motto, “good enough, perfect”.

Doesn’t matter, use what ya got. You guys are too picky.
Too picky? I couldn't get the first chain to fit period (see my first pic) How does that make me too picky? I too have been playing and wrenching 45 years. Started in 5th grade customizing bicycles and racing motocross motorcycles. The past 20+ years building custom Harleys and Hot Rods. If I cant figure out a way to make it fit (other than re-machining the chainring) it wasn't going to happen, hahahaha. Also good enough is fine for building Rats, yes. Currently though, I'm not.

Too picky? I couldn't get the first chain to fit period (see my first pic) How does that make me too picky? I too have been playing and wrenching 45 years. Started in 5th grade customizing bicycles and racing motocross motorcycles. The past 20+ years building custom Harleys and Hot Rods. If I cant figure out a way to make it fit (other than re-machining the chainring) it wasn't going to happen, hahahaha. Also good enough is fine for building Rats, yes. Currently though, I'm not.
Just keep riding, it will either eventually fit or it will break. I only ride maggots, so I’m not at all pickey. I have totally rebuilt, body an soul, a 1948 Buick, raced and wrenched Triumph motorcycles in the 60s, (I still have two) rebuilt a 1959 MGA in 1965, hot roded a 1949 Ford sedan and a 1949 Ford coupe in high school. I wish I still had the coupe. The MGA financed a year of university ($600) and the Fords vanished into the hands of people I graduated HS with when I got drafted. $15 each, which was the going rate for American jalopies back then. I’m done with serious wrenching, I’m too old to crawl under cars and I’m so shaky I have trouble putting a screwdriver into the slot. You should see me weld, people take bets on where the bead will start. Not only am I shaky, I have double vision. No way could I install an exhaust system now. Anyway the picky part was a joke, no one is as mechanically indifferent as I’ve become in my old age. I give a lot of advice but I seldom take it myself.

Gosh, guy asks for "A little assistance", and now we are into mechanical philosophy! (I think) :rofl:

Reference: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values by Robert M Pirsig.
See this wiki also: Metaphysics of Quality

From the book Wiki: "The narrator describes the "romantic" approach to life of his friend, John Sutherland, who chooses not to learn how to maintain his expensive new motorcycle. John simply hopes for the best with his bike, and when problems do occur he often becomes frustrated and is forced to rely on professional mechanics to repair it.

In contrast, the "classical" narrator has an older motorcycle which he is usually able to diagnose and repair himself through the use of rational problem-solving skills."

"With this, the book details two types of personalities: those who are interested mostly in gestalts (romantic viewpoints focused on being "in the moment", and not on rational analysis), and those who seek to know details, understand inner workings, and master mechanics (classic viewpoints with application of rational analysis, vis-a-vis motorcycle maintenance)."

"The Sutherlands represent an exclusively romantic attitude toward the world. The narrator initially appears to prefer the classic approach. It later becomes apparent that he understands both viewpoints and is aiming for the middle ground. He understands that technology, and the "dehumanized world" it carries with it, appears ugly and repulsive to a romantic person. He knows that such persons are determined to shoehorn all of life's experience into the romantic view. Pirsig is capable of seeing the beauty of technology and feels good about mechanical work, where the goal is "to achieve an inner peace of mind". The book demonstrates that motorcycle maintenance may be dull and tedious drudgery or an enjoyable and pleasurable pastime; it all depends on attitude."

It's been years, but one of the "Chautauquas" I recall from the book is the narrator thinks in detail about the difference between his approach to motorcycle maintenance and John Sutherland's.
He recalls one instance where John refused the narrator’s easy and free fix for his loose handlebars simply because it involved an improvised part, (a shim made from a cola can found along the road) and not a BMW factory-issued one. The narrator realizes that he and John regard motorcycles—and reality in general—is completely different.

Latest posts

Back