BO15 High Plains Drifter (The Finish Line)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking it in stages.
2D013182-8AF9-42CB-83A0-D20FA1005EAA.jpeg
39435054-D033-4969-91D2-48A0497610F2.jpeg
F5F3F146-1B0E-42F8-8724-AE7A0643FC53.jpeg
022372D1-F490-44F5-84C7-4CD89FB9AD37.jpeg

Just a thought David, what if you came back at it with a different color to cover the white? It maybe is just too much of a contrast between the purple and white right now. I definitely like your concept.

Maybe a light to medium grey?

Decided to paint the bike all purple. I will decide later to add some silver accents to the paint. I have some great skull lace that I may try to use. I love the color of this purple, but stay away from the 2X coat paints. I’m headed back to Colorado next weekend so maybe I’ll grab my airbrush kit while back. Also the grips and pedals will arrive next week.
A9F02A50-72B7-4569-BA8B-497654BDB32B.jpeg

Decided to paint the bike all purple. I will decide later to add some silver accents to the paint. I have some great skull lace that I may try to use. I love the color of this purple, but stay away from the 2X coat paints. I’m headed back to Colorado next weekend so maybe I’ll grab my airbrush kit while back. Also the grips and pedals will arrive next week. View attachment 132415
I think you made the right call, given the circumstances. The purple/white fade would've been great, but the amount of overspray and splatter you seemed to be getting wouldn't have looked as good. After this contest is over, maybe you can redo the paint with a proper fade job like you want.

I think you made the right call, given the circumstances. The purple/white fade would've been great, but the amount of overspray and splatter you seemed to be getting wouldn't have looked as good. After this contest is over, maybe you can redo the paint with a proper fade job like you want.
The fade was worth a try. All kinds of ideas came to mind when painting, but the truth is that there is very little real estate to work with on a bike. Best to stick with a solid color and add elements like stripes or pattern work. I’m happy with the color, as it compliments my other bike which is a loud lime green. One thing I’ve learned in the past when painting is to obey the drying times of paint. Going to let the bike cure a few days and I’ll start assembly this coming week.

I think the solid purple looks better than the fade. I think part of the problem was where the fades were applied, if the fade traveled the length of the tube, the results would be more visible.
More visible with fade along the tube
Resolution-1.jpg

Less visible across the tube
images.jpeg

At least, that's my opinion on fades.

I think the solid purple looks better than the fade. I think part of the problem was where the fades were applied, if the fade traveled the length of the tube, the results would be more visible.
More visible with fade along the tube
View attachment 132661
Less visible across the tube
View attachment 132662
At least, that's my opinion on fades.
Agreed. Also pretty easy to make the paint look too “busy”. I had to say to myself, “Keep It Simple Stupid”. Here is a shot of my survivor freestyle bike for fun.
B9593E10-08FF-40D1-BEBC-02C7845BAA4D.jpeg

I think I found the purple I will use for fades over the white. It is a 2x coat so it will be rather difficult to throw the fade down. Basically one shot. I sprayed one blast on the cap of my white paint can to see how it applies. I think the color match to the fur is close enough. View attachment 131353View attachment 131354
I think that purple is going to make it POP my friend awesome color choice!!!

Assembly. The best and worst part of the build. Best because you can see the finish line. Worst because I stress about shredding the paint job that was just laid down. I’ve even used plastic washers on a previous build as a buffer and still jacked the paint up. Looking fine so far but the big moment is the tightening of the rear wheel to the bike.
1B80B946-96EC-4FE7-BB5D-76EBB6D395EE.jpeg
B5EC1085-8EBC-45F1-ABEB-3A96152C8578.jpeg
0BD1FC2A-7B54-4AFA-AFDB-E15BF1B65192.jpeg

Y
Assembly. The best and worst part of the build. Best because you can see the finish line. Worst because I stress about shredding the paint job that was just laid down. I’ve even used plastic washers on a previous build as a buffer and still jacked the paint up. Looking fine so far but the big moment is the tightening of the rear wheel to the bike. View attachment 133083View attachment 133084View attachment 133082
you got this Man!! When the heart rate goes up stop and whooosahhhh looks awesome

Man, that purple! I was a drummer and had a side business in the late 80's-90's recovering drum sets. I wish I had a picture, but in the early 90's I was playing Hollywood/Los Angels/San Fernando Valley clubs in a band called C R A S H and I redid my drum kit in that exact same color for a while. Looked really cool and no one else had a kit that color, it got me a lot more business. Soon after, I did another kit in a vintage gold sparkle as that trend was coming back. Stayed that color for many years till I sold it. Thanks for the flash back.

Latest posts

Back