Future Rat Rod Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But we will feel better about riding our Chinese "Huffys" if we load them up with American made doodads and geegaws and such. LOL

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I was about to say and chat about on our American made forum.

But XenForo is made in the UK. Oh well.

I just think a wide spread push to turn the clock back to become a nation that's primary industry is manufacture of physical goods, will be worse for the country, not better.
Yet, as a country we are experiencing decades of wage stagnation due to trying to replace lost manufacturing jobs with Starbucks jobs. All these stupid minimum wage hikes are just there to mask that stagnation. My wife worked in fast food for 28years...the profit margin was 1-1.5%...who pays the for the doubling of minimum wage when profit margin is that slim...I guarantee it isn't just 'absorbed'. This is the case in most retail.

Thinking we are going to be able to prosper on just an IP-based economy is naive when our competitors don't care anything about IP rules and regulations...it is also naive to not notice that China is shifting it's focus from copying tech to developing tech. They don't have the silly roadblocks in the way like individuality, self-determination, or freedom...with their focus and disregard for international rules and regulations, our innovation edge is in peril.
America got where it is by being innovative, not for it's capacity to churn out millions of tons of plastic doodads, googaws, and thingamajigs
We wouldn't be the US today without our manufacturing base...we'd be just another annexed member of The Reich.

Last edited:
Yet, as a country we are experiencing decades of wage stagnation due to trying to replace lost manufacturing jobs with Starbucks jobs. All these stupid minimum wage hikes are just there to mask that stagnation. My wife worked in fast food for 28years...the profit margin was 1-1.5%...who pays the for the doubling of minimum wage when profit margin is that slim...I guarantee it isn't just 'absorbed'. This is the case in most retail.

Thinking we are going to be able to prosper on just an IP-based economy is naive when our competitors don't care anything about IP rules and regulations...it is also naive to not notice that China is shifting it's focus from copying tech to developing tech. They don't have the silly roadblocks in the way like individuality, self-determination, or freedom...with their focus and disregard for international rules and regulations, our innovation edge is in peril.

We wouldn't be the US today without our manufacturing base...we'd be just another annexed member of The Reich.
I agree and disagree to varying levels with all you've said so far, Rusty

But the conversation has made me think. If people whose job it is to run the various levels of government in this country could speak with each other civilly and respectfully, as we have, I'm sure there would be many things better than they are today.

I agree and disagree to varying levels with all you've said so far, Rusty

But the conversation has made me think. If people whose job it is to run the various levels of government in this country could speak with each other civilly and respectfully, as we have, I'm sure there would be many things better than they are today.
We can dream.

I think there's still room for premium products, but start up costs are still high and becoming a name of high regard able to command the high margin prices necessary takes more time and money and determination than most have. As someone distantly considering the option of building my own boats for sale, I probably don't have enough of any of those three to complete more than the prototype for myself.

So is anyone going to buy one of the Detroit Schwinns in a few days?

Guess they go on sale today Walmart.com. @ratrod reviewed one.

Latest posts

Back