BO15 Blue Bomber Curbhopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work John! Getting the wider shell and shorter spindle put you in the pocket for that crank set-up. Those Surly rings look so vintage MTB and cool on there! Glad it worked out.

Thought I’d try a headbadge from a beer can. Even remembered to take this progress pic before I got too far!
DEB8E8B3-F1AA-4BD4-8A56-9881B1F210DB.jpeg

Besides being a local brewery, I would see this particular ale in one of the shops in the CLT airport every day I passed through, which was nearly every trip. Being in uniform, of course I couldn’t buy one.

Once we moved to Charlotte we made the trip uptown to visit and bring home a few.

Reminds us of Captain Spice and Dr. Dash (My and my wife’s alter egos.) (Shhh... it’s a secret!)

D7DD5039-1E0D-49A5-8E11-BCA8A987C9F5.jpeg

Cut it out and tried a few pics
B9921EA3-847D-46B5-BE1D-F04084093E7A.jpeg

FE4A2DB5-03DA-4FB5-B958-359A060443CC.jpeg

C3B26442-3D0D-4E6B-9EA6-0A349F3969CF.jpeg

Smoothed and shaped a little more.
F6A9D078-564A-4419-A003-3E6ECC8765C8.jpeg

Gave it a shot of Crystal Clearcoat to help protect it.
I’ll use 3M exterior double sided tape to attach it.

Thought I’d try a headbadge from a beer can. Even remembered to take this progress pic before I got too far!
View attachment 127308
Besides being a local brewery, I would see this particular ale in one of the shops in the CLT airport every day I passed through, which was nearly every trip. Being in uniform, of course I couldn’t buy one.

Once we moved to Charlotte we made the trip uptown to visit and bring home a few.

Reminds us of Captain Spice and Dr. Dash (My and my wife’s alter egos.) (Shhh... it’s a secret!)

View attachment 127305
View attachment 127303
View attachment 127309
View attachment 127310

View attachment 127307

Very cool. I like their Coco Loco!

View attachment 127308

View attachment 127305
View attachment 127303
View attachment 127309
View attachment 127310

View attachment 127307

It doesn't look quite right, maybe drink 6 beers for more for raw materials and keep trying. Who am I kidding, that is way too cool.

It doesn't look quite right, maybe drink 6 beers for more for raw materials and keep trying. Who am I kidding, that is way too cool.
Everything looks better after 4 beers...
... more ...
... then it all starts getting fuzzy!o_O

I appreciate all the encouragement and kind words.
Chugging on...
I thought the headbadge would look more ‘finished’ and stand out better against the blue of the bike since there’s a lot of blue in the badge, if I added a border. So I masked off most of it and added a border.
2FCEFAE1-5A30-4CEA-B149-E74D184A98C0.jpeg
7AC18826-E4BF-4BEC-AD85-F04BD3EF17EE.jpeg

Love that headbadge Captain Spice!
I used an Olde Frothingslosh Pale Stale Ale as a headbadge on my very first build BEER RUN in BO6 (along with about 100 other beer items :D )

Yours looks much classier than mine.

20110716Photo_021DD378-CC7B-CCC9-9F1B-22CFFCACC98B.jpg

Been awhile & Not a lot to show. I’ve gone for a few rides, adjusted shifting, braking, sizing, & chain length. Added a rack, which doubles as a place to mount the tail light. Still need to wire up the lights & decide on battery placement. Considering a yellow accent on the rack to tie it in, but I can’t find my yellow masking tape for the KF mock-up methodology!
22507434-3906-4511-941E-94DAC74C8771.jpeg

A630400E-D114-4045-94C5-6129DA2EF4E2.jpeg
CEDD424B-7F6D-4B8C-9EB8-51DAD352CCD5.jpeg

Yellow electrical tape works too. :D

Fresh out of the yellow electrical tape, too.
But then my wife asks "can't you just photoshop?"
"But then I'd have to go into the office, pull up the computer..."
"Honey," she says, "what else do you have to do today?"

So here are some accent thoughts:
simple diagonal
bbch1.jpg

curvey bit
bbch2.jpg

rack rails
bbch3.jpg

angle and curve
bbch4.jpg

number plate
bbch5.jpg

number plate, but with the colors not inverted vs. the bike.
bbch6.jpg

I either like the first one, simple diagonal (matches the slope of the down tube decal) or the last one, with the blue and yellow colors. What color would the 'plate' be? Maybe the whole plate is your cool Metalcast blue with the yellow BO15 logo? The plate definitely adds more of a 'utilitarian' look than 'path racer' look. But with the rack on there, you've already kind of crossed over to that anyway.

I am opposed to racks on MTB in general, but am ok with multi-functional number plates, especially ones that are in the same nice blue as the frame. Also think the smoked plexiglass idea would work

Since the lines of the rack supports don't really flow with the frame, I like the one were you just have the rack rails in yellow.
The number panel is cool, but maybe with just a cool 15 and not BO15.

Thank guys, I’m still pondering. The rack’s primary function is a mounting point for the light, it won’t fit at the brake bridge because of the canti cables. Neither are for sure permanent.

I may be to the point of finding a good fountain to pose beside and get some final photos. :cool: Oddly, I’ve been working more as we’re receiving notices of probable furloughs. And my dog is having heart issues. I could write a whole country song! At least my truck and marriage are in good shape!

Glad to have this forum for good, happy thoughts, but bike work is slowing for me.
Keep building!
:)

Well, been awhile.
The dog has moved on. Made life ruff for a bit. He made his RRB debut in one of, if not my first BO in this pic from 2014:
IMG_9616.JPG

He was a good dude. And is missed.
I'm a little more clean-cut now.

Anyway, looking at the calendar, I see I need to get some final photos! :oops:

Here are some from today's out and about. No fountains available. No sunshine either:
IMG_5751.JPG
IMG_5755.JPG
IMG_5756.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG
IMG_5763.JPG
IMG_5765.JPG

IMG_5771.JPG
IMG_5774.JPG

More time for more pics on Thursday, but then out of town until past the deadline, so I'll get a fished thread started by then.

Well, been awhile.
The dog has moved on. Made life ruff for a bit. He made his RRB debut in one of, if not my first BO in this pic from 2014:
View attachment 135019

Here are some from today's out and about. No fountains available. No sunshine either:
View attachment 135020View attachment 135021View attachment 135022View attachment 135023View attachment 135024View attachment 135025
View attachment 135026View attachment 135027
More time for more pics on Thursday, but then out of town until past the deadline, so I'll get a fished thread started by then.
Looks Familiar!
20200529_133747.jpg

Well, been awhile.
View attachment 135019

View attachment 135020View attachment 135021View attachment 135022View attachment 135023View attachment 135024View attachment 135025
View attachment 135026View attachment 135027
Wait a minute...........

They put a beer temple IN Mojo cycles?????? Whaaaaaaaaat?

IMG_5774.JPG

I always forget you're in the Charlotte area

Latest posts

Back