Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we are about to turn the page on another month, any other builders planning to join the fray come May?! It's only two months away! Hooray!

6CFFC299-C816-4779-A19A-6BF3925616C4.jpeg
FF0A39E8-5C3C-429F-93F5-75FDF9DD8C6C.jpeg
178E37A7-8373-444F-9BD3-31177F07CED7.jpeg
As we are about to turn the page on another month, any other builders planning to join the fray come May?! It's only two months away! Hooray!
Thanks OJ! Great to hear from you my friend!!!

I’m in 100%. I have 2 bikes I’m debating for the summer build. For better or worse, I Will only have the time and $$ to do one!!!!:21:

The first option is an old women’s Ross I pulled out of my neighbors trash last summer. My mother-in-law visits quite often and loves a bike ride, but hates toting her bike from Ohio to NY..... so, I told her I’d build her one to keep here in upstate.

The other is an old schwinn collegiate I picked up off fee-bay just after Christmas. I’d like to do some sort of psycho mix between a gavel bike, vintage touring and a 70s muscle bike.

I got the countdown clock started!!!!

@Jude Ephesus , not sure how the muscle bike will fit in to your idea mix, but I love the ' gravel bike / vintage touring ' idea! One thing that works great on the old Schwinn 10 spd frames, 700 c wheels with 38 - 40 mm modern gravel tires! Looking forward to what you come up with. As always...

RaT oN~!

@Jude Ephesus , not sure how the muscle bike will fit in to your idea mix, but I love the ' gravel bike / vintage touring ' idea! One thing that works great on the old Schwinn 10 spd frames, 700 c wheels with 38 - 40 mm modern gravel tires! Looking forward to what you come up with. As always...

RaT oN~!
Ha-Ha! Thanks OJ.

Well, for the muscle angle, I was thinking possibly a springer fork (although the existing fork on the bike has epic patina) and having the rear tire fatter than the front. Still just throwing ideas around.

I would like to try to trim some weight off this sled, and the springer front end definitely wouldn’t help that, but would definitely help out with a cushy ride and hot rod look.

I wasn’t thinking anything crazy like different wheel sizes, ‘naner Seat or apes..... lol. Just experimenting with the springer and tire widths.

I am looking at both mtb 26” wheels and 700cc wheels for the bike. I believe either will fit great.

I love colored tires, so whichever wheel gets me the widest tire selection, I’ll probably go with.

C8104B41-C3EF-4622-AD76-A25275CC057D.jpeg
Ha-Ha! Thanks OJ.

Well, for the muscle angle, I was thinking possibly a springer fork (although the existing fork on the bike has epic patina) and having the rear tire fatter than the front. Still just throwing ideas around.

I would like to try to trim some weight off this sled, and the springer front end definitely wouldn’t help that, but would definitely help out with a cushy ride and hot rod look.

I wasn’t thinking anything crazy like different wheel sizes, ‘naner Seat or apes..... lol. Just experimenting with the springer and tire widths.

I am looking at both mtb 26” wheels and 700cc wheels for the bike. I believe either will fit great.

I love colored tires, so whichever wheel gets me the widest tire selection, I’ll probably go with.
Whadda ya think OJ? Snazzy right? Put a beefy rear tire on this beast.... springer seat.... may not be the most ideal race bike, but for a 20 mile rip on a Saturday morning in summer would be a real kick in the pants!!!

Yes! I never thought of that combination. I like it.
One step cooler...paint the fork to match the frame. Then it would have that 'handmade bicycle look' like it was designed that way from the get go.

What are the rules for the summer build off, and when does it end?
Would a trike build be allowed?
Hey Psycho, the RRB BO #15 Summer build off typically starts on May 1. It has ended at different times the last couple of years, but most often ends in the first part of August.

Trikes are definitely allowed~! We have had some very cool trike builds over the years. If you put "trike" in the search bar in the upper left corner, and choose "all" for the posts, you should see some of the entries from the past.

Hoping you will continue your participation this summer after a successful Fall / Winter build!

I wish we could start the build off April 1 and end July or August 30th this would give people something to do and keep their mind off of the issues that most of us are dealing with while they are social distancing.
I suspect when the pandemic is over. People may want to or have to do other things then.

Last edited:
The Pandemic in Poland is technically just starting so I think it will last trough the whole Build-Off this year, or at least most of it. It's a good thing that I started hoarding necessary parts just before everything started.

I'm not sure it'll ever be over, the info being provided is mixed at best.

Life prior to “covid19” will never return. Had a great run, though.

furyus

Latest posts

Back