Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly saying - not really. My advice is try to google it in German. I did search for some info on it briefly, but could not find much more info either.
The reason for different seat stays is probably, as i mentioned before, that yours is slightly earlier then the one on the picture.
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks!

A good quality gooseneck stem could be a sought after piece, especially if the retro racers recognize the brand. If you were to do a retro mountain bike with drop bars, that would work perfectly. Sometimes referred to as LD, or "limp Richard":giggle: stem.

A good quality gooseneck stem could be a sought after piece, especially if the retro racers recognize the brand. If you were to do a retro mountain bike with drop bars, that would work perfectly. Sometimes referred to as LD, or "limp Richard":giggle: stem.
:S

The cranks look like a German "Glockenlager". There really isn't a way to use a regular crank puller on them. They are a pain to work with! Best German board I have found is:
https://www.altesrad.net/phpBB3/
Google translate will get you close, and some people are willing to answer a question in English. DeepL is a much better machine translator.

The cranks look like a German "Glockenlager". There really isn't a way to use a regular crank puller on them. They are a pain to work with! Best German board I have found is:
Google translate will get you close, and some people are willing to answer a question in English. DeepL is a much better machine translator.
Ok, thanks! I'll take a look at it.

Ok, cool. Yeeeeeeeaaah, I'm just going to stick with "gooseneck."

Here is a bike that has a gooseneck clamp with a normal stem. Those bars are not going to twist.
IMG_8340.JPG

How do those cranks work? How are they put together?

Just google "glockenlager" for a lot of information. Basically, they are steel cranks that are pressed onto a square taper axle. BUT and a big BUT, they are not threaded for a conventional crank puller. There is a youtube video that says to remove them, you need a brave man and a big hammer. If that doesn't work, get a braver man and a bigger hammer. There is a tool that clamps into the crankarm with a threaded hole for a bolt to force them off the axle. It is a weird system, but was used for decades.

Just google "glockenlager" for a lot of information. Basically, they are steel cranks that are pressed onto a square taper axle. BUT and a big BUT, they are not threaded for a conventional crank puller. There is a youtube video that says to remove them, you need a brave man and a big hammer. If that doesn't work, get a braver man and a bigger hammer. There is a tool that clamps into the crankarm with a threaded hole for a bolt to force them off the axle. It is a weird system, but was used for decades.
Would you happen to have a link to that video? I'd like to see it.

Here's one video- not quite as I remembered it:

They are not impossible to take apart. Just consider it a challenge!

Latest posts

Back