Gota love a chain wheel with spokes!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bound to be a really bad idea... but it looks cool!!

Attachments

• p sp chain wheel 3bce4098b5349bfa2af24f7906f9fb39.jpg
    p sp chain wheel 3bce4098b5349bfa2af24f7906f9fb39.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 182
  • p sp chain wheel r1017186.jpg
    p sp chain wheel r1017186.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 171
Just think if your chainring gets a little bent, then true it!

How do you think they have done it?
The outer ring is easy, just aluminium ring with 36 spoke holes in in and countersunk for the nipples to drop into that bolts to the sprockets.
The inner "hub" looks to be half a high flange front hub with maybe half a low flange hub welded together in the middle??
Then pinned, welded? Somehow to the BB?
Thoughts??

The inner "hub" looks to be half a high flange front hub with maybe half a low flange hub welded together in the middle??
Then pinned, welded? Somehow to the BB?
Thoughts??
Just a spider like any other, I would assume. Except, instead of 3, 4, or 5 holes...two sets of 18 holes :grin:. Its very classy looking.

I just had a really bad idea.... I am planning a modernized 1930's bike... disc brakes etc and was just looking into belt drives.... (all possibly bad ideas)..... BUT the really bad one was that I could make a spoked "belt wheel" for the custom bike! I could do it... I have the engineering workshop to make it happen.... it might be that it's 4am and when I eventually wake up I will realise that was a bloody dumb idea, but for now it seems fun!

How do you think they have done it?
Thoughts??

I did a little googling. It uses a Stronglight 49 crank which has a very small bolt circle that holds the spider in place. The spider would have been replaced with custom machined flanges. It looks fantastic but I agree with everyone else regarding it's practicality.

Yes, in my opinion, 3 arm crank spiders are light and strong enough. The only reason we have 4-5 arm spiders is because SOME riders are so strong that they would break the 3 arm, but this is only 1% of cyclists. 3 arm is strong enough for even strong riders and it is still light.

Allez-red-46T-chainset.jpg

rhcrankrl.jpg

CR11A.jpg

1947-Hetchins-300x198.jpg

stucchi-001.jpg

I just had a really bad idea.... I am planning a modernized 1930's bike... disc brakes etc and was just looking into belt drives.... (all possibly bad ideas)..... BUT the really bad one was that I could make a spoked "belt wheel" for the custom bike! I could do it... I have the engineering workshop to make it happen.... it might be that it's 4am and when I eventually wake up I will realise that was a bloody dumb idea, but for now it seems fun!
I think it sounds like a cool theme...DO IT! :thumbsup:

I just got my first Silver Kings...and they scream for belt drive as the rear triangle bolts together.

I did a little googling. It uses a Stronglight 49 crank which has a very small bolt circle that holds the spider in place. The spider would have been replaced with custom machined flanges. It looks fantastic but I agree with everyone else regarding it's practicality.
Well spotted, I have been looking at those Stronglight cranks to adapt a custom chain wheel too but I had not noticed they had used them on the spoke chain wheel. Makes perfect sense.

Did you say practicality? What the heck does that have to do with RatRod Bikes?
Amen brother!!!! :) Wait until I start a thread about my modern 1930's build.... practicality will be in question along with my sanity!!!

Yes, in my opinion, 3 arm crank spiders are light and strong enough. The only reason we have 4-5 arm spiders is because SOME riders are so strong that they would break the 3 arm, but this is only 1% of cyclists. 3 arm is strong enough for even strong riders and it is still light.

View attachment 113334
View attachment 113335
View attachment 113336
View attachment 113337

View attachment 113338
I find 5spokes more aesthetically pleasing, as long as they aren't asymmetrical.

SRAM makes this ugly thing
sram-spider-force-22-force-1-crank-bcd-110.jpg

Answer makes a far prettier version
Answer-Alumilite-Spider-1.jpg
Still vaguely symmetrical (radial symmetry is a thing), but this blob by Cannondale...
kp296.1-650x650.jpg

Latest posts

Back