How about a single pedal tandem?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was trying my hand at designing, just doodling, actually, when I realized I was fixating on King/Queen seats. These are the two level type used on old fashioned choppers. I thought about building a frame around the idea, with pegs for the passenger. I think it might have some use? Lots of tandem riders let the front person do all the work, why not just delete the rear pedals?

I was trying my hand at designing, just doodling, actually, when I realized I was fixating on King/Queen seats. These are the two level type used on old fashioned choppers. I thought about building a frame around the idea, with pegs for the passenger. I think it might have some use? Lots of tandem riders let the front person do all the work, why not just delete the rear pedals?
Normal bike but with an extra seat that is attached to the seatstays and dropouts with metal rods. Same concept as a rear luggage rack, but with a seat instead.
20190621_150811.jpg

If I understand what you’re asking is, can you use a tandem frame and only have the front pedal, the rear ‘rider’ would only be a ‘passenger’ with foot pegs or something installed in the bottom bracket instead of a crankset?

If so, then yes, I think. The biggest issue would be the chain, gonna take some ‘engineering’ to figure that out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got enough work haulin' my own tail around without draggin' someone else along for the ride and not havin' them pitch in a little pedal power... but a tandem isn't the answer here because there's no King&Queen style seat available in a tandem's seating arrangement. You could pull the rear pedals but where they gonna put their feet? No I think stretch the rear back a bit put on a seat like you're seeing in your head and add a little battery power... in either hub, it would pick up the slack from that freeloader sittin' behind ya.

Carl.

Cargo bike with a UJM-style seat mounted on the rack? Or something custom based on a banana seat idea, but with the front more like a traditional seat shape for the rider and the aft section for the passenger something like a motorcycle pillion seat. You could put pegs right on the rear axle.

I've built a couple of stretch bikes out of tandems, as have friends of mine. It can be done, but don't expect to weave through slaloms easily!

The biggest issue would be the chain, gonna take some ‘engineering’ to figure that out....

Actually...
69625273_2269104119868223_5726740205134675968_o.jpg

My Build-Off 14 entry - Spare Parts. Chain has 250+ links, and works with a 6 speed & derailleur.

And there is also this:
83016929_2573250769453555_5975180664226447360_o.jpg

400+ links, single speed coaster brake. Had a little problem with tensioning, but other than that - works fine.

Latest posts

Back