Schwinn speed record bicycle and 10 speed spokes bicycle.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11390-new-bremen-bicycle-museum-of-america-2.jpg

What is weirdest about this bicycle is that it has cottered cranks in the early 1980s. The year of of the bicycle was made is and not exactly for shure. All that is known really is that it's made the early 1980s.

The cottered crank is the weirdest part? Ummm, did you see the chainring behind the seat, or all the tubing to support it? I'm super curious about the inverted triple tree forks.

The cottered crank is the weirdest part? Ummm, did you see the chainring behind the seat, or all the tubing to support it? I'm super curious about the inverted triple tree forks.
I have a book that has this bicycle and the description in it. I'm going to take a picture of it.

It's the stupider way for achieving what I thought of a long time ago - take a pre-WWII german bicycle with a 2spd BB, put on a 3 cog crankset on it (that is 2 x 3 = 6 gears in the front). And for this bike lace a wheel with a multi speed hub that also has a thread for a freewheel (as I recall Shimano made contraptions like that - multi speed hubs with a few cogs on it or something) to give you an additional 5 x 7 = 35 in the back (or something like that) and 35 x 10 = 350 gear positions... imagine the posibillites, imagine mounting all these shift levers on one steerin bar :21:

That's kind of awesome in a way that something completely ridiculous can be. I've often thought of ideas I'd never build for just a stupid number of ratios, like a Rohloff with a 12x3. Adding in that second cassette is genius! I'd be reasonable, though, and just go with 10-speed cassettes for a mere 4200 ratios (sort of, as most of them would be virtually redundant).

Last edited:
That's kind of awesome in a way that something completely ridiculous can be. I've often thought of ideas I'd never build for just a stupid number of ratios, like a Rohloff with a 12x3. Adding in that second cassette is genius! I'd be reasonable, though, and just go with 10-speed cassettes for a mere 4200 ratios (sort of, as most of them would be virtually redundant).
There should be a bike that is made in Colorado with 420 different ratios.

Latest posts

Back