Brr

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
upload_2020-1-9_9-12-45.jpeg

RustyGold's cartoon reminds me of elementary school. We were constantly being told air pollution was going to cause a second ice age if people didn't do something about it quick. About that time the first round of smog control devices were being added to cars and the government got onto factories and power stations to clean up their acts. Now the air pollution is pretty much under control and we are told of global warming now. Perhaps if we just allow a bit more air pollution it will help cool things off and make the climate great again? LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Do all those old historical records show any wildfires that killed over half a billion animals in a month?
Well, yes. Massive forest fires are nature's default. The don't jive well with continual human settlement, so we (used to) do our best to suppress them (thankfully).
How about all the unnoticed hurricanes in NYC in the last hundred seventy years?
Not following what you are putting down :).
If you deny the human impact on climate, you are burying your head in the sand.
I don't...and I'm not. I question, research, and listen. I don't accept without questioning anything related by today's media. If I did, it would be awful silly to continue to put away for retirement when AOC tells me that the world has less than 12 years left if radical change doesn't happen now...and I know radical change isn't going to happen anytime soon.
This is from NASA
"Multiple studies published in peer-reviewed scientific journals show that 97 percent or more of actively publishing climate scientists agree: Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities."
Case in point. This is a flawed claim.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhener...97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/
"Temperature data showing rapid warming in the past few decades, the latest data going up to 2018. According to NASA data, 2016 was the warmest year since 1880, continuing a long-term trend of rising global temperatures. The 10 warmest years in the 139-year record all have occurred since 2005, with the five warmest years being the five most recent years. "
Ten warmest in 170 seems more like a champion, no?
No. The Harrapans were destroyed by a 200 year drought. Akkadians 150 year long drought.
Minoan decline by a 150 year long string of strong El Nino events leading to higher temperatures (capped off with the eruption at Thera). The Mayans were created and destroyed by climate change, a 200 year plus wet period forced them inland to more fertile lands with plenty of water resulted in abundant food...then a centuries long drying period led to reduced food, warfare, and abandonment of the cities. The Cahokia of Illinois had a population center that would have rivaled the cities of Europe of the time …~1000AD...thanks to a very wet 50year period. 150 years of drought cycles brought that to an end. Greenland had thriving Viking settlements that lasted 500 years until the mini ice age (~1200 to 1850) gradually destroyed their agriculture leading to abandonment by 1500.

So, I don't find it mind blowing that we've had a global warming trend following a mini ice age.
Yes, "quality of the data isn't the same as a 150…100…50 years ago", that's why we know that this is happening. To claim that we were less capable before, and that's why we don't know now doesn't really make sense
I don't follow.

I'm not blanket against anything... I'm just for informed decisions, not knee jerk or mob policies or radical partisanship.

Radicals are always wrong... except when they're not :grin:

I would be 'meh' if I won a competition against a half dozen local competitors and was then declared World Champion. Too small of a sample to make that claim remotely true.

170 years is .000004% of the Earth's existence.
170 years is 1.4% of Civilization.
170 years is ~2.4% of recorded history.

Too small of sample size to support the claims that are made.

In addition, the quality of the data isn't the same as a 150…100…50 years ago. We have weather satellites that map temperatures all over the planet regardless of whether any one lives there or not. 150 years ago, there wasn't a guy stationed every square mile with a thermometer and a notebook tracking every high and low :bigsmile:.

The Middle East and Saharan Africa weren't always just giant sand boxes...but they became sand boxes long before industrialization.

We had a tornado a few years ago strike a town ~40miles north of us. I was blown away...I've lived in Oregon nearly 50 years and never heard of a tornado! Well, a little research turned up the tidbit that Oregon averages 2-3 tornadoes a year. Usually on the Eastern half of the state that is vast, and very lightly populated. Most happen without a single witness...but, now we have the eyes in the sky, and they miss nothing :).

The earth is getting warmer, ever since the end of the ice age, if you believe in that sort of thing. Almost all the lakes up here are are Oligotrophic or young, including Lake Superior. However, with the warming they will become Mesotrophic then Eutrophic or a mud bog. Lake Erie almost became Mesotrophic but we managed to turn the clock back a little. If you look at topo maps up here you can see where the inland lakes were once much larger, dried up river beds, old beach ridges and vegetated sand dunes. Eventually it will dry up even more and then the cycle will repeat as it does every couple of hundred thousand years. How is this possible if the world is only 5000 years old? Don't ask me, I don't know, perhaps it was created 5 billion years old 5000 years ago? That is not impossible. There is a spot on one of our single track trails that is an eroded mountain made of thin layers of quartzite, which is metamorphosed sandstone. This stuff was exposed and uplifted, now only a 600 foot hill. The earth folded and caused a syncline that made a big bay in Lake Superior and steep quartzite hills were uplifted to form the bay and inland to a valley with quartzite hills on both sides. On the bike trail there is a vertical quartzite cliff about 30 feet tall that has the ripples from the sand in the quartzite in a vertical position from the uplift and folding. Your looking way up at beach ripples on a cliff side, instead of at your feet. Long ago there must have been a wetter climate to make this such a deep deposit of sand that turned to stone with ripples in each layer as it sloughs off? It's a natural climate process, warm, cold, warm, cold and we don't understand what causes it the short term (100,00 to 500,00 years), perhaps a cycle in the sun. Mankind may be accelerating it but it's inevitable if you look at ocean core samples and other evidence. The climate of earth has always been in flux, before the Himalayan Mountains the climate was much different, one massive continent caused different ocean currents and a different climate (there have been at least 11 super or a single large continents in the past that we know of, one about ever 300 - 500 million years), the Appalachian and other mountains were once huge and so there was a different continental climate, which effected global temperatures. We haven't a clue about long term climate change, other than there is nothing we can do about it. Our species will be long gone before the world ends and the flux will continue to absorb all our trash, chemicals, bad air and bad water. Human kinds long term geologic legacy will be a new rock called plastiglomerate, which already exists in Hawaii where plastic bits, volcanic heat, sand and compacting pressure have existed simultaneously. No worries other than war, famine and pestilence, but that will only be a flash in the pan. Am I a glass half full or a half empty glass guy? Right now I am a guy looking for his glasses.

It's the coldest day of the winter here so far. it got down to +1F at 7 AM. The other cold night was New Years Eve - Day, +8F. Otherwise it's been in the 20s and 30s. Very warm. Lake Superior has no visible ice except the rim ice from waves washing up on the shore and freezing. Some of the bays are reported to have some ice, but the open areas of the Lake are ice free.

20-30 cm of snow over a thin veneer of ice
-25° celcius before the wind starts blowing.
Ice fog.
Oh Canada.
IMG_20200209_061908411.jpg
that's the full moon, it's a clear sky.
IMG_20200209_090519094.jpg
few hours of sun, and it don't look much better. Again, clear skies.

Latest posts

Back