Bottom bracket, crank, sprocket --- Fauber replacement(s)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neat old American bike with ~46mm (1.8") custom (home made?) press-fit/soldered bearing cups in the threaded Fauber hanger; I am not sure if their re-use is the best idea, as I cannot tell why a such great blobs of lead solder were used.
I see a few online bottom brackets that are designed to press-into 46mm frames, and 30mm spindles that may come with a crankset and the BCD-spider type of sprockets.
Q1: Can modern press-fit cranksets and bottom brackets be made to work with old bikes?
Q2: Might I be able to re-use my vintage Fauber sprocket with a 3-piece crankset; does any 3-pc crank use a single drive pin sprocket?
Q3: Any help or redirects to existing links is appreciated; not sure if a bike shop would want to even touch my old bike project.
1899_Fauber_Crank_Hanger_212.jpg

Last edited:
I think that I may be learning more about BXM bikes. I found an adapter to fit my frame as a starting point; (why engineer all the other components if the 1st interface does not work). I found an economy press fit 46mm-30mm adapter. Nylon shim material furnished with bearings.
Rotor PF 4630.jpg
What threw me off was that I did not realize that I could just swap the 30mm/ID bearings with 19mm BXM bearings - both with the same 42mm/OD interface, (some sales ads do not give all the dims).
Salt Rookie 19mm Black 1.jpg
Now all I believe I need is to select the 19mm 3-piece crankset, with the right spindle and bolt-drive; and a 19mm bottom bracket, with all the right washers.
Verde Regent 19mm.jpg

Maybe this will help.
Thanks for the Velobia link and pictures, I was looking at the bike forums (link above) before, but its old 2014 pictures did not work, (maybe because I am not a member).
I may consider the threaded Finland-Italy combination on my other Fauber problem bikes, (if I can ever get them apart).
I may consider the unthreaded Finland-British option on this project, as a previous owner used a big heavy tool with a long handle to convert it from threaded to pressed-fit; (there might not be any re-usable threads left).

I'm not sure of your problem. Looks like regular Astabula type crank cups were soldered over a threaded bottom bracket that was a little too big for the replaced cups? I have had a similar problem and put the crank and bottom bracket together a little tight and spun it to center it all and then made it real tight. You might have to use thin sheet metal shims to get it centered and tight, depending how loose it is. I then tack welded the cups to the bottom bracket on the bottom so it doesn't show. I figure the next guy will be cursing me when he tries to rebuild it but a grinder and hack saw will remove the tacks. Your threads would have to be retapped if it was ever going to be reused in the original form and taps for the pitch and TPI probably don't exist anymore. Perhaps I was lucky, but it is perfect, not crooked at all.

Latest posts

Back