circa 1925 Arch Bar Truss Frame Roadster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working a vintage arch-bar or truss-frame roadster.
Arch Bar 1.jpg

Was a royal blue over original black.
Arch Bar Truss frame 1.jpg

Not sure of maker; leaning toward H.P. Snyder built.
Arch Bar Truss frame 2.jpg

Cleaned-up fairly nice.
Arch Bar Truss frame 3.jpg

Rust-Oleum red-brown 1st primer coat.
Arch Bar Truss frame 4.jpg

Rust-Oleum black 2nd primer coat.

Last edited:
Love this frame style !

That's gonna be a nice riding frameset. Fork? Drivetrain? Looks good black.

Last edited:
Where did I put the fork, (plain, no integral truss) - sanded it with 320 grit and now it needs more black primer, and I’m out of that one.
Arch Bar Truss fork.jpg

Rust-Oleum gloss black last week and sanded 400 grit today. Was a bit heavy or too soon on the coats of paint on the frame as it still appears soft at drop outs.
Simmons Arch Bar Truss.JPG

When I thought that the frame looked Davis, I planned for a #5 sprocket, but now I am reconsidering, but still likely single speed coaster brake, aluminum X202 Alex rims or similar.
EC Simmons 3.jpg

Last edited:
Serial number? I have a list of Harris/Snyder that begins in 1914 with "A" and goes to 1931 before the factories stamped different numbers, but I always am looking for more info.

80543. I am pretty sure there is a mark to the left of the 8 but it is not a number but possibly a pictogram or something else?????
Help getting an accurate date appreciated.

20220525_211422.jpg

Looks like your serial starts with an “E” and might have oval shaped chain stays at the bottom bracket?

My frame has a “C” 4 digit serial and ~5/8” round circular stays.

Last edited:
Yes that certainly could be an E connecting all the bits assuming the middle horizontal line of the E has a up and down flourish and the top and bottom lines also have down and up flourishes, that should make it 1918 which is one of the catalog images I have that matches the paint scheme (1920 also matches, do not have one dated 1919 but assume its the same).

Yes, Oval stays.

Any progress on yours?

20220525_211257.jpg
20220525_211114.jpg

I used some discontinued Rust-Oleum V2100 black primer with gloss overcoat, and it took almost forever (exaggeration) to dry, probably due to too much paint all at once.
Moved it to the back of the line.
Thinking about using a different fork, one with a forged crown, might be a HP Snyder.

Are the head badge fastening holes on your bike widely spaced, on the far opposite sides of the head tube, (if so that might hint at an Emblem Angola NY make)?

Last edited:
Badge holes are horizontal, 1 5/8 on centers with the right hole about 1/8" above the left as viewed from the front. I do not have a badge nor a ghost as the white paint from the head is all lost. My down tube has an adhesive ghost of the original decal. Its hard to read in regular lighting but in UV light it is easier to pick out that it reads American Flyer like the toy trains.

20220525_211144.jpg
20220525_211730.jpg
20220525_211738.jpg

Latest posts

Back