Volo.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sneak peak at the head tube. I still have lots of trimming to do.
20190826_224932.jpg
20190826_224955.jpg
20190826_225343.jpg

Wow! That's substantial. And lots of surface area there for adhesion between wood and aluminum.
Are you finding that your laminated / steamed / shaped frame pieces are holding their form pretty well? I was curious how long you had to keep them in the jig / mold to dry out and let the cells assume their new configuration.

Wow! That's substantial. And lots of surface area there for adhesion between wood and aluminum.
Are you finding that your laminated / steamed / shaped frame pieces are holding their form pretty well? I was curious how long you had to keep them in the jig / mold to dry out and let the cells assume their new configuration.
I just leave them on the forms for 24 hours. I'm using west system and there's no need to let them cure any longer than that. Between being steam bent and all the layers they have been bent into submission and don't really spring back much at all. I still have top and bottom layers to add too. I still have so much to do it feels a bit hopeless right now.

Recruit some help, I'm sure you're not the only person working in that shop! No foul for having someone help with gluing or welding.

I know you will ultimately finish it the way you want it later on, but I want to see this creation cross the finish line as a rider!
:forum:

I took this week off to work on it but I think distracting my "on the clock" colleagues might be pushing my luck. But yes, I decided a week ago that this welding thing was going to have to left to a professional and I've hired a friend to it. I'm dropping off the parts tomorrow.

Last edited:
Still going... Here's a video I just made of me steam bending the wood for the fork in case you were wondering what that looked like. This is a relatively easy bend, some of them looked much more chaotic than this. The fork is being made up from four parts with 5 layers each so I have to do this 20 times. Its going to be a long night.

What is the thickness of a single ply like that one, 1/4" ?

I really hoped to have this thing glued after the long weekend but I failed. I had to clean up my bench area and I'm out of paid time off so I'm back to work. Its not looking good at this point.
20190903_011319.jpg

Get a hold of Mastro Geppetto ( Pinocchio ) I heard he can work
miracles with wood ?
What ever happens , I hope we can see the finished product when
time allows ?

I'm sure you'll find a way to squeak in the work here and there this week and weekend

Latest posts

Back