Rolling Heavy in the Burbs (1973 Schwinn Suburban)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_1767.jpg

The basic concept was to turn a classic Chicago Schwinn Lightweight into a heavy duty classic pub crawler / suburban cruiser. Geared 39T x 16T for quick spins around the burbs and to the local pub. Thanks for everyone's positive words and input throughout the build. I hope I did it justice.

1973 Schwinn Suburban 22” frame with original untouched patina
Original Parts kept
-Forks
-Cranks/Sprocket/Pedals (removed outer rings)
-Handlebars/Stem/Grips
-Light Bracket
-Rear brake, brake housing and Shifter braket w/rear shifter (Rear shifter used as the rear brake lever) :)
-Seat Post / Clamp / S Bolt
-Serrated Axle washers front and back

Other Vintage Parts Used
-1950s Schwinn Truss rods off a woman’s (taller headtube) ballooner, painted to match rear rack.
-1970s Texas Special headbadge (this was a company rebadging Schwinn’s in Houston, TX in the 70s and selling them as custom Texas Specials)
-1960s Union front light, with added Rat Fink figure
-1983 Texas custom bicycle plate “Big 1” (I put a sticker over it to make it 1973)
-1970s Schwinn rear reflector off of a Racer

Modern parts
-700C WTB FX-29 rim/disc mountain bike wheels with custom gold nipples
-2.0” Schwalbe Fat Frank Coffee sidewall front tire
-1.75” Schwalbe Road Cruiser Coffee sidewall rear tire, (originally I had the Fat Frank 2.0” on the rear, but it would rub at high speed on turns) in an effort to make sure I kept the bike a rider, I dropped down to a 1.75”
-Brooks B17 Special w/copper rivets & rails
-Electra Brass Bell
-Modified to fit Electra Cruiser rear rack, add 70s rear reflector, stained wood to match tires and seat
-Custom drink holder mounted on left shifter mount.
-Combined to different chain tensioners to lock in rear wheel

Click here for Build Details Thread

IMG_8568.JPG IMG_8558.JPG IMG_8559.JPG IMG_8561.JPG IMG_8562.JPG IMG_8564.JPG IMG_8569.JPG IMG_8573.JPG
IMG_8660.jpeg

Last edited:
Great concept and execution ! It is a 'burbon bike for sure (pub crawl pun intended).

Your 39 x 16 ratio is probably spot on for that tire and wheel combo. One of my favorite bikes I rode regularly and had for a number of years was a Felt Dispatch, single speed road bike, with 700c wheels, 28c tires, and a 39t chain ring and 16t cog.

Again, nice work on this build! And I really dig the 29er wheels with the fat tires in that frame!

Last edited:
Nice details on your build!
Great build and great Finished Thread.

This is what a Finished Thread should be. Promoting the build that you took the last 4 months building, showing details, parts, the story behind it, video, build thread link, etc. One stop shop to quickly scroll through and get a feel for your build. For some reason lately people just post up one pic and maybe a link to the build thread.

With that said........ You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.

Nice details on your build!
Great build and great Finished Thread.

This is what a Finished Thread should be. Promoting the build that you took the last 4 months building, showing details, parts, the story behind it, video, build thread link, etc. One stop shop to quickly scroll through and get a feel for your build. For some reason lately people just post up one pic and maybe a link to the build thread.

With that said........ You probably already know this, but Don't forget that when the Voting thread is created we will use the first pic from your Finished thread. I'm not suggesting anything is wrong with the current pic, just making sure everyone knows.
Thanks for the positive words and the tip. :cool2:

Latest posts

Back