Rat Rod Bikes Build Off #14?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaFlyer

Like “RadioFlyer”
Pro Member
Reaction score
Assume this will happen again. I keep saying I’m done but projects keep finding me. Wondering who the oldest builder is. I’m still tinkering at 73.
My potential project bikes are older than I am...May 1st?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I do a 2019 build I think I will assign a number to the title name equating to my age plus the age of the bike frame.

The Annual Summer Build Off almost seems like an institution in the Rat Rod Bikes community. Whether I participate or not I would hope it will continue. It does take a big commitment to start and finish a build in terms of effort, time and money.
I think there was more participation when there were the two classes, one for minimal frame modifications and one for scratch or anything goes. The final evaluation seemed a little less subjective that way.
Maybe the Facebook folks could be enticed to come over to the forum side of things to show their work.
My wife and I attended the North American Handmade Bicycle Show a few years ago... it’s a good bucket list item for bicycle aficionados. This is a stretch, but how cool would it be to have a bunch of Rat Rod Build Off Bikes displayed in a convention like setting or some sort of mass gathering. I realize the logistics and scheduling would be a major hurdle. But wouldn’t it be cool?

I hope to be in if it is running.
Got a "keep it forever" bike I would like to build.

Been collecting parts and testing solutions to engineering issues for a few months.

I think a big issue is the limited performance of Tapatalk. So many folks use their phones exclusively to surf the net. So while Tapatalk does support forums it also lacks features that you can only get to with a laptop or thru your browser on your phone. Like voting... Personally I use both a laptop and a phone since we can post pictures directly with Tapatalk. But I can't stand the invasiveness of Facebook so I'm not on it much, unless I'm super bored, and looking for some anti-social media...

Carl.

Last edited:
I'm open to holding it again this year, but with the way that Facebook Groups are destroying traditional forums, I would suspect there would be a pretty big drop in participation.

Wow, getting a little bit of a vibe that tells me you're open to not holding it this year, too. Say it ain't so, Steve!

We have to have it!!! Participation actually increased last year.
BO13 - 64 finishers out of 108 builds
BO12 - 48 finishers out of 77 builds
BO11 - 54 finishers out of 92 builds
BO10 - 87 finishers out of 138 builds
BO9 - 85 finishers out of 161 builds

We'll have it...just a little frustrated with the FB group factor. :comando:
I can't understand how FB can supplant any forum. The forum is so much better in terms of organization and access to content.
The shelf life for posts on FB are typically 1 to 3 days max. And good luck finding anything that was posted after a few weeks have passed!:(

I'm not sure that I will participate this year but not because of any lack of interest and most certainly not because of FaceBook!

Then again, I said I wasn't going to participate last year. Look what happened. :forum:

I really wanna get it on this again! Build offs were a good time!! Great part of my childhood too haha I have been searching Craigslist for a while now, seems like the old bikes dried up in my area :(

I really wanna get it on this again! Build offs were a good time!! Great part of my childhood too haha I have been searching Craigslist for a while now, seems like the old bikes dried up in my area :(

It would be great to see an adult SR69 in the mix. :D

I think the problem is that most people spend a ton of time on Facebook and they get their fill of looking at old bike photos as they pop up in their feed. This keeps them from spending time on forums.

I agree though, forums are a lot better when it comes to organization, archiving and ease of finding posts/topics.

I try to limit the amount of time I spend on FB in this age of speak your mind with no filter, all I do is get annoyed. Peace, love and bicycles I'm chillin' here, oh and Instagram where I control the filter...

guitarl_carl

Latest posts

Back