The Black Bike... or Ninja Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaxRhapsody

Rhapsodic Laviathan
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this late model Huffy cruiser and decided to try and throw it together. Ironically it replaced my torquois Cranbrook I gave to a friend, to shrink my collection down another bike. A nice black frame and my only complaint is it has a built in rear rack, which I though about cutting off, but the paints too good to ruin.

I don't have a complete plan for it, it's kinda throw stuff at it and hope it works. I took a tire I had cut to use and a handbag strap and used the rack to hold it as a fender. I ditchee the chaingaurd and the plastic false tank or whatever that thing is considered to be that would be where a tank would on an older bike. Tossed on a triple tree fork from a 24" wheeled bike I had laying around, luckily I had the right tire to use a 26" wheel on it(hopefully). I had been trying to figur out how the run a front brake, since it won't have a coaster brake. I pulled out the front power brake system thing from a long long gone Murray mtb and started drilling holes in the forks brake mounts to fit it and then found an old center-pull brake that will bolt up. So I don't know which one to use.

I have a crank to put on it that came off another Huffy, some old relic female hybrid thing from the early 90s. The front tire is a Kenda Kwest(hopefully) the rear is going to be a Kenda 838. I just need to find a handlebar stem that will fit and innertubes. Plus if I do find a 24" wheel; I can unbolt the whichever brake and use the stock fork brake mount.

I know it's not old, but it's something that should be "quick" to build.

IMG_20190124_034400737.jpg
IMG_20190124_034425027.jpg
IMG_20190124_034417519.jpg
IMG_20190124_035241906.jpg

Cool build, I love your rear fender idea!
Thanks. I'm seriously leaning towards the centerpul brake just because it's less work and even though I do have black vbrakes I could mount on that Murray Power Cantilever mount(and some black cantis, actually), the more I look at it, the less appealing it looks. It's going to have a freewheel in the back versus coaster. I still need to figure out what to do with this one piece.

Attachments

• IMG_20190125_005859374.jpg
    IMG_20190125_005859374.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 169
That built in rack is kind of a cool feature!! I bet it’ll hold a lot of beer!

With a tube in the front tire, it actually clears, sans for one spot, because it's slightly out of true. I went with the center pull brake and started doing something to cover that center piece. Still trying to figure out what to do with the huffy symbol that was on it.
IMG_20190208_184647002.jpg

I fished a Walmart cart out of the creek in my back yard, Ill be building something very similar!!
Thinking of leaving the front baskart wheels on for like bogie wheels, for climbing up curbs or something. If it works out, I might try to make a second one. I just had the rake taken out the frame this tuesday, wish I had a truck to take the front half to the place, to do the fork. Could this be considered a ratrod?

My daughter and I “commandeered” another cart from the road by the homeless camp down the street (there’s like 20 in the road!) my goal is to build something similar to this. I plan on using an old steel trek MTB frame I have. If done right, in my opinion, use a cheepo Schwinn style cruiser and it could be a rat rod!!

Attachments

• 96BF5B9D-A90A-43C6-91A0-FEF483760EB3.jpeg
    96BF5B9D-A90A-43C6-91A0-FEF483760EB3.jpeg
    201.5 KB · Views: 169
My daughter and I “commandeered” another cart from the road by the homeless camp down the street (there’s like 20 in the road!) my goal is to build something similar to this. I plan on using an old steel trek MTB frame I have. If done right, in my opinion, use a cheepo Schwinn style cruiser and it could be a rat rod!!
That's pretty dope. I wanted to keep the bottom rack for use, since the baskart is small, thus needing 20" wheels, plus it was simpler. If I had a standard sized one, I'd make one more like that. It's also getting a rear rack and saddle boxes.

I have done little work to it, other than making some leather wrapped grips, replacing the torn rear tire and a new chain. Sad news; saturday, the bike fell off the front of a bus, caught on the bumper, the fork is twisted and the rim is bent. So I don't know what to do, now. Other than go get it from work, where I left it. The thing was riding real good, too.

It took a while, but I had been reimbursed by the bus company. I'm going to be using the money to start over on my DB Drifter1. It's easier to find what I want for a more modern bike, anyway.

The frame isn't too bad, it's going to get somewhat finished and put for sale... I hated the rack, anyway. It was a fun bike to ride, though.

Might as well show how far it made it. These are what happened to that cool fork.
20191216_133942.jpg
20191216_133936.jpg

This is as far as it had gotten.
Screenshot_2020-02-09-02-54-53.png
Screenshot_2020-02-09-02-55-01.png

I had a wider kenda kwest on the back. The state it's in now...
2020-02-09 02.58.44.jpg

Yes I took some of that tire I used for thr rear fender and zip tied it as part of a front fender I put on it.

I made another faux tank for it. I gotta drill some holes and find some screws to mount it. I cut out some thin mdf, covered it with black tape, glued on thos two ace of spades, covered them with clear Duck packaging tape, then a whole coat or two of gorilla spray glue for water proofing. It's all I had laying around and I want to keep the original piece. Hey, whoevers buys it gets some quality Thermolite pedals, so we even.
2020-02-09 03.01.36.jpg

So due to two blow outs on my car, I had a chance to test ride this last night. Since I last posted in here; all it needed was the coaster brake retention thing, which I put on a few months ago. Cranbrook sacrificed its innertubes. Hopefully tonight it will be traded for another bike. Or be put for sale.
20200913_215149.jpg
20200913_215202.jpg
20200913_215213.jpg
20200913_215139.jpg

Latest posts

Back