Has anyone made a bike out of unwanted spare parts?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is I modify more bikes, I am slowly putting together an ugly bike out of the crappy/ugly parts that I will never reuse. Has anyone else done this, I want some ideas. And some laughs along the way.

Is I modify more bikes, I am slowly putting together an ugly bike out of the crappy/ugly parts that I will never reuse. Has anyone else done this, I want some ideas. And some laughs along the way.

I was gifted a worksman frame from a friend. I built it up with parts I had on hand. No money was spent on this build, no plan was involved, I just ‘test fit’ the fork and ended up with a bike. (After I stripped the black spray paint that covered it)
EFCB7E79-C3FC-43C4-B7C3-58F7CF8C7B97.jpeg

On this one, similar story. Except I found the frame for $20. The rear triangle was a lil outta wack. Straightened it and started grabbing parts that were laying around. Ended up with my this-

5B881B61-D0A9-4BD1-A94E-0FA79EF55B63.jpeg

They actually both see a lot of saddle time. Since they were pretty happen stance, they’re my beaters. Both rest outside and are easy to grab n go. The black Schwinn sees a lot of dirt and small jumps. Good times.

Yes , we call it a Rat Rod Bike
I know it is a rat rod bike. I noticed a lot of the rat rod bikes looked planned out with tasteful parts. This thread is about going through your personal bike shop and finding crappy old stock or useless parts that you woudn't use on any other build. A bike is then built out of those.

That is my preferred method for building bikes. I usually end up buying small things, tubes, grips, seat, etc.

eyzklN7.jpg

v7VCcgg.jpg

9gXrP3b.jpg
The first bike you showed looked really old, what is it.

If I understand this, you are talking about building a bike out of parts that you otherwise would have never used on any other build.
I built a bike last year that definitely fits this concept. I even named it 'Skin Deep' because I knew it would be ugly.
It was built out of a bent up girls big box Schwinn that I literally pulled from a scrap pile at the city dump.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/skin-deep-ironing-out-a-stretch-done.105463/
index.php

index.php

index.php

I have a project, not for unwanted parts, but for semi-unique, unknown or mismatched parts that I have and still do want to use.

I like to match unknowns with unknowns, or with the lesser knowns, just to keep it unknown period correct, (and to keep people guessing).

I avoid knowingly acquiring unwanted Schwinn parts in the first place.

I always look for low-mile pre-war bike parts. Don't keep any "cheap" newer parts or wheels laying around really. I do have a bunch of older framesets, hubs, drivetrains and cockpits that eventually will get put together if I get a bright enough idea that ensures the build is a keeper.

20181011_191001.jpg
the red and white hiawatha is what I call the leftovers bike. I got a free bike that had been ran over and it had this 1inch to 1 1/8 threaded headset and forks that I thought was neat. So I dug around and built this. That troxel seat sucks though.

C37F1BFB-8910-4B08-82BA-EA91A2172D10.jpeg
Unwanted is all in the eye of the beholder....
but here’s mine.
* 1980’s Schwinn 3 speed frame.
* 1950’s tanks form girls bikes
* “seatpost” from downtube and chainstays from one of the girl bikes

EBBB3F12-3712-4AF4-A364-314E875A767B.jpeg

Slapped this one together out off parts that were destined for the scrap yard. The only thing on it that wasn't scrap is the back wheel, since I have a matching pair.

20" Huffy bmx frame, mongoose rear mag, and a 26" fork and front wheel of of a old Walmart girls MTB.

It's main use is a conversation starter when I make beer runs. Gets plenty of laughs.

88415f2290973117ec09bca6dc823ba7.jpg
94a56dba2c85c99d59b3b57d94f9627a.jpg
e50b05d3a80bdee8e5cd9e001a731592.jpg

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

I’m working on just such a bike right now in an effort to clean up the piles of junk in the cellar, I’ll post some pics this weekend...
3b62640d035d2c02fd2c01e43d70cf8a.jpg
came out better than I was expecting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back