Barn Find Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFB

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago, while riding home on my enduro, i spotted a vintage bike lying against a mailbox. A spray painted FREE sign on a ratty slab of plywood announced it's intentions to find a new home. Arriving at home i grabbed my son and jumped in my truck to go claim this roadside prize.
1-8 - 1.jpg

a complete bike, i did my research and found it to be a 1965 schwinn typhoon, near 100% vintage, my first schwinn ever! it rode, but all the bearings were shot and the pedals had been welded into the cranks.
1-8 - 2.jpg

1-8 - 3.jpg
1-8 - 4.jpg

1-8 - 5.jpg

1-8 - 6.jpg

1-8 - 7.jpg

1-8 - 8.jpg

while i generally appreciate original vintage wabi, i sensed for me to truly appreciate this particular bike i was going to make it my own.

it took me a year, but here it is. i feathered some rattlecan copper onto the frame, but left the original stencils and lines. it rides really smooth, with good ergonomics, though i need to tighten up the sealed bottom bracket and eliminate the crank wobble. i had a heck of a time getting it to fit and line up in the frame.
1-9 - 9.jpg

1-10 - 1.jpg

i found the aluminum plate at the motorcycle park, and fit it into the chainguard bolt hole and the 4-eyed dude is a bottle opener for those mid ride necessities.
1-11 - 1.jpg

i have a seat on order, and i'm looking for a bell that fits the style, but all in all i'm happy with my first build.

Cool bike

Nice set of tires! What size?
How about a couple more pics of the finished product? It was a Schwinn bike that helped start this whole forum.

I dunno...I kinda like the look of that saddle on the proper bike. With the faded paint and coppertone accents on yours, it seems to work well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back