The Danger of SOS Pads...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I heard rumors of SOS Pads to be 'scratchy' on chrome. Is this true or is it a myth? What do you prefer to get rid of surface rust on chrome?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. 8)

I think it's the soap in them that keeps em from scratching. Once they start to get washed out, watch it. Or, better idea, just buy some fine grade steel or bronze wool at Home Depot or Lowe's, they won't scratch. I usually wipe a part with 'Nevr-Dull' first, takes some of the dirt off, and leaves some oil behind, makes things easier. I use a brass wire wheel on a drill when I can. Steel ones WILL scratch! ~Adam

Another side effect of steel wool on chrome is that it can leave tiny bits of steel wool fibers stuck on which will later rust and stain the chrome. Bronze wool won't do that.

I've heard the "bits of steel in the chrome" thing to be a myth. I've never had problems with funky re-rusting, and I keep my bikes outside. I use 000 steel wool with a shot of WD-40 to keep things lubed, and work at the corrosion at the same time. There are other methods of rust removal (Oxaciliac Acid, Electrolytic, and another I can't remember). I'm pretty sure they are outlined in the How To.

i spray my chrome with wd40 and then use steal wool it works like a charm and if you spray your chrome with wd40 every so often it repells water.......

A la "bunchobikes.com", I have found that WD40 and 0000 (no, not just 000) steel wool, found at Home Depot, both removes rust and polishes old and new chrome very well. Chemicals have a tendency to dull old chrome. A little elbow grease, the right tool ,and lots of lube will get it done.

As for the "leaves bits of steel to rust" argument, the best rebuttle also comes from bunchobikes....who reasoned that if a part is already rusted the finish is compromised anyway. Removing a large amount of rust already there in exchange for a possibility of a small amount later on is not actually making things worse.

"Luctor et Emergo" - Struggle and Emerge

steel wool is stronger than chrome so it will dull it, it might be minimal but it still dulls it
.. use brass wool. a copper kitchen pot scrubber works real well too and small brass welding brushes and wd40
I also will use this instead of wd40 when i m working in the house it smells alot better and doesnt make such a mess
31N4466SRWL._SS400_.jpg

I have done many many parts
and a guy told me when I was a young lad "Give the hardest job to the laziest person and he will figure out the easiest way to do it"
and I am pretty lazy :)

vanilla_gorilla said:
spray it with easy off first let it sit, just watch it cuz its an oven cleaner its pretty rough haha
So will it remove the rusty chrome frome the handle bars I want to weld and paint? My money's on the brass woll and WD-40 and nevr-dull is cool for the light rust. And finish with Turtle Wax chrome polish and wax. My .02 :D

NO WD40, NO STEEL WOOL.. get yourself a jar of Chromax and a damp rag.. Take a look..
Hi rust
DSCF2422.jpg

Bye rust
DSCF2423.jpg

Does wonders on schwinn chrome
DSCF2419.jpg

I picked up the chromax at my LBS. I can always pick up some for those who are interested.

I heard aluminum foil works too. I was told to rub a ball of foil on my chrome and it would shine it up. It kinda worked. Maybe you might have better results.

So... Does anyone have any tips for bringing back shine that (nervous cough) someone might have used OO or OOO steel wool on instead of OOOO? It wasn't me I swear! K maybe it was, but I claim ignorance!

Bumpng a old topic.

I've used SOS pad to clean bike parts for years and have never had a problem with rust returning or scratches. Just make sure they are wet and you will have no problems.
alos excellent for car mags as well.

Latest posts

Back